Subject: Notice of new IEC field of activity

From: [email-masked] (Steve Carson)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 16:04:42 -0600

I have received a fax from the JTC1 Secretariat with a copy of a proposal
for a new IEC field of activity on "Sound, Vision and Multimedia Systems
and Equipment." The scope within the above field includes but is not
limited to:

- the optimum quality of reproduction of audio, video and data signals in
the user (consumer and professional) environment
- interfaces, intertconnections, interperability and system
- human factors
- test methods

included are:

- receivers of all kinds of services
- displays
- storage equipment
- system interfaces
- signal pick-up and reperoduction devices and equipment
- terms and definitions in sound and vision media technology

There is an explicit statement that "The scope of the new TC will not
include work already covered by other IEC committees or other interational
standardization organizations."

This new organization replaces current IEC committees SC12A,
TC30/SC60A/SC60B and TC84.

They identify their principle liaison within JTC1 as JTC1/SC29.

Based on the contents of the proposal, I would like to reply to JTC1
Secretariat that SC24 sees no problems of overlap but would like to
coordinate with the new TC in the area of "terms and definitions in sound
and vision media technology."

If any NB has objections or has other ideas that they would like to see in
the SC24 reply, please let me know by 1500 UTC on Wednesday 21 December.

I can fax the complete proposal (two pages) to anyone who wants it.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------