Subject: Document SC22 N2238

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 17:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2238

August 1996

TITLE:            WG17 Convener's Report for the September 1996
	          JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:           Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:        N/A

STATUS:           N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:  N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:    Convener's Report

ACTION:           To SC22 Member Bodies for information or action as
                  applicable.

                  This Convener's Report will be an agenda item for 
                  the September 1996 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________________________________________________________________

1996 REPORT TO ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 FROM WG17 (PROLOG) 

OBJECTIVE

WG17's task is to define an international standard for the
programming language Prolog (Project JTC1.22.22).
SC22 Resolution 184 (SC22 N1053) subdivided the work item:
   JTC1.22.22.01 - Prolog: Part 1, General core (completed 
     with the publication of ISO/IEC 13211-1 in June 1995),
   JTC1.22.22.02 - Prolog: Part 2, Modules.

PARTICIPATION

WG17's membership includes active national Prolog standardization
groups in France, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom, and United States.
Experts from Belgium and Sweden have also attended the 1996 meeting
and/or commented on drafts.

Jonathan Hodgson is the project editor for Part 2 (Modules).

SC22 WG17 has no formal liaison with other working groups 
within ISO/IEC JTC1.

WORLD WIDE WEB

SC22 WG17's web site is: 
http://www.sju.edu/~jhodgson/wg17/wg17web.html

WORKING PAPERS

SC22 WG17 now distributes working papers by e-mail as ASCII or 
PostScript files.

MEETINGS

Most work is done by e-mail so only one meeting is now needed each year
in order to formally resolve national body and expert comments as
successive drafts of Part 2 are balloted.  The WG17 meetings since
January 1994 (and SC22 document containing their minutes) are:
  London, England, 25-26 April 1994 (N1432),
  Utrecht, Netherlands, 3-5 December 1994 (N1798).
  Uppsala, Sweden, 6-8 March 1996 (N2112).

The next meeting is likely to be in Germany in the spring of 1997.

PROGRESS IN 1995-96

WG17 has adhered to its timetable for Part 2 (Modules), highlights include:
  (a) September 1995: A working draft (WG17 N142 = SC22 N1926) 
     was submitted to SC22 for ballot to register it as Committee Draft 
     ISO/IEC CD 13211-2.
  (b) January 1996: The ballot was successful (see SC22 N2046, N2075).
  (c) March 1996: A disposition of comments (SC222 N2157) and strategy 
     for the next draft was agreed at the WG17 meeting in Uppsala.

In the period July 1995 -- June 1996 the papers circulated to WG17
contained about 57 pages.

TIMETABLE

For Part 2, WG17 has agreed the following timetable:
  (a) 1 June 1996: The project editor to publish a preliminary 
     Committee Draft taking account of the comments made and the 
     decisions taken in Uppsala.
  (b) 1 July 1996: WG17 members to comment by e-mail.
  (c) 1 August 1996: The project editor to publish the Committee Draft 
     taking account of comments received.
  (d) August 1996: The convener to submit the CD for balloting by SC22.

RESOLUTIONS FOR SC22 --- None.

R S Scowen  (ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 WG17 Convener) 
9 Birchwood Grove, Hampton, Middlesex
United Kingdom ~~~ TW12 3DU
E-mail: [email-masked]
9 August 1996

__________________________end of document SC22 N2238 ____________________