Subject: SC22 N3096 - Draft Minutes of the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 11 Meeti ng, 20-22 March 2000, Dresden, Germany

From: Marisa Peacock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:24:18 -0400

_______ beginning of title page _________________________

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3096

TITLE:
Draft Minutes of the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 11 Meeting, 20-22 March 2000,
Dresden, Germany

DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-05-16

SOURCE:
W. Wakker, Convener, JTC 1/SC 22/WG 11

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Meeting Report

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
For information.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

_______ end of title page; beginning of document ______________

DRAFT MINUTES OF MEETING		      SC22/WG11 N466

Committee: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG11

Place:     Technische Universität Dresden
	     Dresden, Germany

Date:	     March 20-22, 2000

Attendees: Mr. Frank Farance	      USA
	     Mr. Kevin Harris	      USA
	     Prof. Katsuhiko Kakehi   Waseda University, Japan
	     Mr. Kent Karlsson	      IMI, Sweden
	     Mr. Roger Scowen	      UK
	     Mr. Willem Wakker	      ACE Consulting bv, Netherlands
(Convener)
	     Prof. Wolfgang Walter    Technische Universität Dresden,
Germany

Apologies received from:
	     Mr. Gabriel Dos Reis     France

1.  Agenda

It was agreed to follow the agenda, as outlined in WG11/N463.

2.  Minutes of previous meeting (WG11/N460)

The minutes were approved without changes.

3.  Work Item 22.17 - Language-Independent Datatypes

The document is published by ITTF as IS 11404:1996.

Document N465, proposed NP to amend ISO/IEC 11404 was discussed.  It was
agreed that

1. the proposed changes could be accommodated in a revision rather than in
   an amendment of ISO/IEC 11404;

2. Frank Farance will prepare (by July 2000) a charter (to delineate the
   scope of the revision) and a specification of the proposed revision;

3. based on this charter document, Frank Farance will try to obtain support
   for the revision from other bodies (W3C, SC32, NCITS L8 and possibly
   others), and prepare suitable liaisons;

4. Frank Farance will be nominated as project editor for the revision of
   ISO/IEC 11404.

4.  Work Item 22.16 - Language-Independent Procedure Calling

The document is published by ITTF as IS 13886:1996.

5.  TR 14369 - Language-Independent Service Specification

The document is published by ITTF as TR 14369:1996.

6.  FDIS 10967-2 - Language-Independent Arithmetic, part 2: Elementary
    Numerical Functions

The 4th (F)CD ballot resulted in 5 YES votes, 1 YES vote with comments
(USA), 2 NO votes (France and Japan ); 3 SC22 P-members abstained and
10 P-members did not vote.  As an O-member Sweden also submitted comments
with a YES vote.  The ballot comments are in WG11 N464.
During the meeting a draft DoC, as prepared by the project editor was
discussed.  Based on the discussions during the meeting the editor will
prepare a final DoC.

It was decided that, based on the nature of the comments and the number of
NO votes, that the next version will be the FDIS version, to be submitted
to ITTF for FDIS ballot.

7.  WD 10967-3 - Language-Independent Arithmetic, part 3: Complex Floating
    Point Arithmetic and Complex Elementary Numerical Functions

No progress was made during the last period.  The concern of several
members about this lack of progress was discussed, and various options to
overcome these concerns were considered.  The project editor was urged to
concentrate first on the elementary functions, in order to limit the size
of the (first drafts of) the document.

The editor plans to have a first WD for SC22 review by September 2000.

8.  Planning and Future Meetings

Based on the progress made on the revision process for LID, and the
progress on LIA-3, a next WG11 meeting could be scheduled for the fall of
2000; however, no firm dates are yet established.  Offers to host this
meeting are invited.

Marisa Peacock
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4976
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]