Subject: Document SC22 N2228

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:45:05 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2228

August 1996

TITLE:                 JTC 1 Direction to SCs on Work Program Management
                       Responsibilities

SOURCE:                Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:             N/A

STATUS:                N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:       N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:         N/A

ACTION:                To SC22 Member Bodies for action.

                       To Working Group Conveners and HODS for action
                       or information, as applicable.

                       Since SC22 is having a Plenary meeting in advance
                       of the due date for response to this JTC 1 re-
                       quest, National Bodies are requested to provide
                       their analyses to the SC22 Secretariat in 
                       advance of the Plenary so that their analyses
                       can be included in the discussion at the Plenary
                       and be considered in determining the official
                       SC22 position on this request.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153   USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________________________________________________________________________
   
Subject: Urgent request for information

Hello Everyone,

A great deal of time was spent at last week's meeting on JTC 1 reengineering 
discussing the urgent need for more extensive program management and the key 
role that this will have in ensuring a successful reengineering of JTC 1. 
 As a result of these discussions, the following document was produced. 
 This document will be officially distributed within the next several days. 
 However, given the very tight timescales that you are all being asked to 
work within, I am giving you all a "heads-up" of what is to come and asking 
each of you to use whatever means are available to you to comply with this 
schedule.

Thank you all for your cooperation.
____________________________________________________________________
                                             ISO/IEC JTC 1 N  4174

TITLE:  JTC 1 Direction to SCs on Work Program Management Responsibilities

SOURCE:  JTC 1 ad hoc Group on Re-engineering

The JTC 1 ad hoc group on Re-engineering considered a number of SC program 
management issues (e.g., issues ranging from missed milestone dates due to 
insufficient resources, to market relevance of projects) and reaffirms its 
requirements for SCs to perform realistic program reviews in accordance with 
the JTC 1 Directives.

The following statements on SC work program management responsibilities are 
taken from the JTC 1 Directives.  JTC 1 recognizes the need for SCs to more 
actively manage their work programs and directs its SCs  to take the 
management actions required by  the Directives. Specifically, JTC 1 directs 
its SCs to perform the tasks described in the following excerpts from the 
Directives on work program management.

Program Management Responsibilities to Be Performed by SC Management Teams.

Target dates and priorities shall be established by SCs for each item of the 
programme of work (Clause 6.3.)
Progress control and reporting are covered in clause 6.4 more specifically :
< 6.4.1.3 Each SC shall review its progress against the target dates at 
regular intervals and amend target dates where necessary. Justification 
shall be provided to JTC1 for such amendments and,where target dates have 
repeatedly not been met, a proposal shall be made to delete or redefine the 
work items. >

 6.4.1.5 <.... if a work item has not progressed to stage 3 by the third 
anniversary of  NP approval,the SC shall consider, either by letter ballot 
or plenary vote, whether the project shall be retained......... If the SC 
fails to act, then the project shall automatically be cancelled by the JTC1 
Secretariat. >

< 6.4.1.6 When  the JTC1 programme of work includes an item which has not 
progressed to stage 4 by the fourth anniversary of the issuance of the first 
CD, the SC shall consider, either by letter ballot or plenary vote, whether 
the project should be retained and advise the JTC1 secretariat of the 
results. If the SC fails to act, the JTC1 Secretariat shall submit the item 
to the P members of  JTC1 for confirmation by correspondence.  Depending on 
the comments received, the secretariat shall decide whether this work item 
should be eliminated or  should continue to remain on the programme of 
work.>>

Additionally, SCs shall establish clear milstones and conduct realistic and 
regular reviews of their workload, to prioritize their work items in order 
of importance and to delete those items that are not being actively pursued, 
or no longer serve the business purpose for which they were intended.

NOTE:  The JTC 1 re-engineering ad hoc agreed that the performance of SCs in 
progressing their work programs and meeting project milestones shall be 
taken into account when approving and assigning new work projects (NPs).

                                             ISO/IEC JTC 1 N

TITLE: URGENT JTC 1 REQUEST FOR NATIONAL BODY ACTION ON SC PROJECT REVIEWS

SOURCE: JTC 1 ad hoc Group on Re-engineering

The JTC 1 ad hoc group on Re-engineering, which met 30 July-1 August, 1996, 
considered a number of SC program management concerns (e.g., issues ranging 
from missed milestone dates due to insufficient resources, to market 
relevance of projects) and reaffirms its requirements for SCs to perform 
realistic, active, program reviews in accordance with the JTC 1 Directives. 
 In addition, the ad hoc group notes with dissappointment the lack of NB 
responses to the JTC 1 Kista Resolution requesting input on NB participation 
in SC projects (as proposed in JTC 1 N 3506 from DIN).

This request amplifies Sydney Resolution 28.  In order to get an accurate 
view of NB participation in SC projects the ad hoc group on Re-engineering 
again requests JTC 1 SC NB members to review the Program of Work of each SC 
and, for each project, indicate whether:

a) the NB is actively participating and providing resources in the 
development of the project

b) the NB feels the project should be pursued in the SC but is unable to 
provide standards development resources, or,

c) the NB has no interest in having the SC develop the project.

The schedule for this request is as follows:

1) 15 August - JTC 1 Secretariat forwards JTC 1 N 4174 to SC Secretariats 
for action;

2) By no later than 1 September - SC Secretariats forward their respective 
Programs of Work, preferably in electronic form, along with JTC 1 N 4174, to 
their NBs  for analysis;

3) 15 OCTOBER - RESPONSES DUE BACK FROM NBs to SC Secretariats;

4) 25 October - SC Secretariat consolidated responses due to JTC 1 
Secretariat for review at the Fall ad hoc meeting on re-engineering.

5) JTC 1 December Plenary Action on recommendations of Fall ad hoc on 
re-engineering.

NOTE: Those SCs  that have plenary meetings scheduled in this time frame 
should complete this analysis during these meetings.

____________________________end of document SC22 N2228 _________________