Subject: (SC22docs.899) SC22 N3059 - Normative Referencing of Specificatio ns Other Than International Standards

From: Marisa Peacock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:28:26 -0500

___________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3059

TITLE:
Normative Referencing of Specifications Other Than International Standards

DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-01-21

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other Document (Defined)

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
For information and action, as appropriate.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Defined

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Marisa Peacock
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4976
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:   <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]  

__________ end of title page ____________

ISO/IEC JTC 1                                                         
Information Technology                                                

ISO/IEC  JTC 1 N 6016                   

DATE:  1999-12-14     

REPLACES                                     

DOC TYPE:
Other document (Defined)                                              

TITLE:
Normative Referencing of Specifications Other Than International      
Standards                                                             

SOURCE:
JTC 1 Secretariat                                                     

PROJECT:                   

STATUS:
This document is forwarded to JTC 1 National Bodies and Subcommittees 
for consideration.                                                    

ACTION ID:  ACT 

DUE DATE:            

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members                                             
                                                                           
MEDIUM:   

DISKETTE NO.:            

NO. OF PAGES:  3         

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 
West 42nd Street, New York, NY  10036; Telephone:  1 212 642 4932;    
Facsimile:  1 212 840 2298; Email:  [email-masked]                 

Resolution 28 - Normative Referencing Of Specifications Other Than
International Standards
JTC 1 reaffirms that there is a need for the normative referencing of
specifications other than international standards from within JTC 1
standards as set out in the guidelines document JTC 1 N 4046, and resolves
that:
a.	More experience is needed in the application of the guidelines in
JTC 1 N 4046 before their incorporation into a permanent policy and that
therefore the trial period for the application of the guidelines is extended
until the next JTC1 plenary meeting; 
b.	SC chairmen and secretariats should take steps to improve awareness
of the guidelines in JTC1 N 4046 within their own organizations. They should
evaluate carefully the need for any normative referencing of specifications
other than international standards and also observe the requirements for all
normative references to be listed as set out in both JTC1 N 4046 and the
JTC1 Directives; 
c.	It is JTC 1's intention to terminate the trial period as soon as
possible. Therefore, SCs and National Bodies are requested to use the
experiences gained in the extended trial to develop a position on the
introduction of a permanent policy, including specific textual proposals for
the adaptation of JTC1 N 4046 to provide text for a permanent policy in the
JTC1 Directives; 
d.	A single policy is sufficient to cater for the normative referencing
of specifications other than international standards in both JTC1 standards
and ISPs, (if any), so that further development of the guidelines contained
in JTC 1 N4047 for ISPs is unnecessary; 
e.	SCs and National Bodies are requested to pay particular attention to
mechanisms that could be utilized to reduce the burden of the process on
officers at the SC level. Examples can include the reuse by one SC of a
prior written statements developed by another SC, or the use of appropriate
statements from approved co-operative agreements between JTC1 and another
organization ; 
f.	The JTC 1 secretariat is requested to arrange for space on the JTC1
web-site to be made available so that Referenced Explanatory Reports (RERs)
provided by SCs can be reviewed by other SCs for reuse when further
specifications from the same Referenced Specification (RS) originator are to
be referenced; 
g.	SCs and National Bodies are also requested to make practical
proposals for the accommodation of specifications accessible in electronic
form (e.g. on web-sites via a stable URL) including formats of acceptable
electronic addresses and recommendations for notification of changes in
status or location of such specifications;