Subject: (SC22docs.898) SC22 N3058 - Patent Problems

From: Marisa Peacock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:16:07 -0500

___________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3058

TITLE:
Patent Problems

DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-01-21

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other Document (Defined)

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
For information.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Defined

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Marisa Peacock
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4976
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:   <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]  

__________ end of title page ____________

ISO/IEC JTC 1                                                         
Information Technology                                                

ISO/IEC  JTC 1 N 6013                   

DATE:  1999-12-14     

REPLACES                                     

DOC TYPE:
Other document (Defined)                                              

TITLE:
Patent Problems                                                       

SOURCE:
JTC 1 Secretariat                                                     

PROJECT:                   

STATUS:
In accordance with Seoul Resolution 19, this document is forwarded to 
the ITTF, National Bodies and Subcommittees for consideration.        

ACTION ID:  ACT 

DUE DATE:            

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members                                             

MEDIUM:   

DISKETTE NO.:            

NO. OF PAGES:  2         

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 
West 42nd Street, New York, NY  10036; Telephone:  1 212 642 4932;    
Facsimile:  1 212 840 2298; Email:  [email-masked]                 

Resolution 19 - Patent Problems
JTC 1 reviewed document JTC 1 N 5927, Japanese proposal on patent problems
in standardization, and agree that the issues raised are real and of concern
to JTC 1. However, JTC 1 believes that patent issues are best addressed by
ISO and IEC. Therefore, JTC 1 forwards document N 5927 to the ITTF for
consideration by the appropriate bodies in ISO and IEC. The ITTF is
requested to report back to JTC 1 at the earliest possible date the ISO and
IEC deliberations on this issue.
In addition, JTC 1 instructs all members of JTC 1 (including National
Bodies, SCs, WGs and other organizations) to remind their constituencies of
the policy as well as the underlying premise of good faith of the Annex A
(Reference to patent rights) of ISO/IEC Directives Part 2 (Amendment 1
1995-05-31) thoroughly and to follow the process properly and without
disrupting the underlying premise.

_