Subject: N3043 - SC22 Liaison With ECMA TC41

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 17:24:45 -0500 (EST)

______________________ beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

IOS/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3043

TITLE:
SC22 Liaison With ECMA TC41

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-11-26

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N3013 (res. 99-10, 99-22)

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________ end of title page; beginning of document _________________

From: van den Beld Jan <[email-masked]>

Subject: Liaison between JTC 1/SC22 and ECMA TC41 on Java standardization

Dear Mr. Rinehuls,

Last week the ECMA Co-ordinating Committee has discussed the above
subject. The general conclusion was that we should apply a practical
solution on the basis of the following policy:
- A liaison in person, to be nominated by the SC22 Convenor
- Grant access to the TC41 ftp site, for obtaining and submitting working
documents.
  
In the mean time I have learned from the JSG meeting in Berlin that they
would like to see Bob Mathis appointed as liaison from SC22 to TC41. Would
you please confirm that you agree with his appointment.

Before the CC had agreed on a policy I had had contacts with several
national JSGs. Therefore, I cannot strictly apply the policy for the first
meeting: there will be some experts from JSG/Japan (this delegation will
present a contribution), and one expert for JSG/USA (who is also there on
behalf of an ECMA member company), and Bob Mathis. Several other contacts
are ongoing: I will inform them on the recently approved ECMA policy.

With respect to the ftp access we would prefer that the working documents
become available via Bob Mathis, allowing him to set up his own set of
international JSG contacts and to maintain an overview of contributions
submitted by the national JSGs. If this would become to cumbersome then we
could consider one access point(person) per national JSG.
  
Would you be so kind to consider this policy which is sought by ECMA for
practical reasons, and respond as soon as possible.
Best regards.

     Jan van den Beld
     ECMA Secretary General

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>

To: van den Beld Jan <[email-masked]>

Subject: Re: Liaison between JTC 1/SC22 and ECMA TC41 on Java
standardization

Dear Mr. van den Beld:

Thank you for your letter concerning ECMA TC41 Java standardization.

At its Plenary meeting last week, JTC 1/SC22 appointed Mr. Robert Mathis
as its liaison to ECMA TC41. It also provided the SC22/Java Study Group
with a revised charter which included supporting the SC22 liaison to ECMA
TC41.  Therefore, Mr. Mathis is the correct contact within JTC 1/SC22 for
activities related to ECMA TC41.

I agree with you that the distribution of the working documents of ECMA
TC41 be limited to Mr. Mathis.  He will set up a further distribution list
for JTC 1/SC22 purposes.

For your information, following is the information on Mr. Mathis you may
need for your records:

Mr. Robert Mathis
Convener, SC22/JSG
Pithecanthropus
Suite 305
4719 Reed Road
Columbus, OH 43220 USA
Telephone:  +1 (614) 538-9232
Fax:  +1 (614) 538-0232
email:  [email-masked]

JTC 1/SC22 greatly appreciates your efforts to permit Mr. Mathis'
participation in the work of TC41.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance to
you in this regard.

Sincerely

WILLIAM C. RINEHULS
Secretariat, JTC 1/SC22

_______________________ end of SC22 N3043 __________________________