Subject: SC22 N3033 - SC22 Chairman Report on JTC 1 November Plenary

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:48:29 -0500 (EST)

___________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3033

SUBJECT:
SC22 Chairman Report on the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Plenary, November 1-5, 1999 in
Seoul, Korea

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-11-10

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Chairman Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______________ end of title page; beginning of report __________________

  SC22 Chairman Report on the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Plenary, November 1-5,
                    1999 in Seoul, Korea
                               
  On Monday, November 1 through Friday, November 5 I participated in a meeting of JTC 1,
  representing SC 22.  This document is my report of the meeting.  Please let me know if
  you need any clarification.
  
  The summary statistics are as follows.
  
  National Bodies
  16
  
  National Body Delegates
  36
  
  SC Representatives
  17
  
  Liaison Representatives
  6
  
  Documents Considered
  111
  
  Resolutions Prepared
  47

  The following are relevant resolutions with my discussion of what led
  to them.
  
  Resolution 4 - Appreciation to Mr. Follett
  
  "JTC 1 notes the end of Mr. Follett's term of office as SC 22 Chairman
  and regrets that he was unable to attend this Plenary meeting. JTC 1
  expresses its appreciation to Mr. Follett for his effective leadership
  as SC 22 Chairman and his many contributions to SC 22 and JTC 1. JTC
  1 also expresses its appreciation to Mr. Follett for his very thorough
  work in editing the JTC 1 Directives.  JTC 1 and SC 22 have certainly
  benefited from his participation. JTC 1 wishes Mr. Follett well in his
  new endeavors."
  
  JTC 1 approved this by acclamation and with applause.
  
  Resolution 14 - Process for NPs and Subdivisions
  
  "JTC 1 has reviewed the contributions concerning the activities of SC 2
  and SC 2's procedure for determination of NPs.  As a result of this
  discussion, JTC 1 notes again the current subdivision process used to
  initiate new parts of an existing work item (i.e., SC submission of
  a PoW modifications document for 90 day review and comment by JTC 1
  National Bodies.) National Bodies are reminded that they have
  responsibility to review with critical eye any proposal on modification
  of POW of SCs without an NP process initiated."
  
  Although this resolution resulted primarily from Japan's
  dissatisfaction with SC 2's management of its PoW, it has applicability
  for the work of SC 22.  I anticipate closer scrutiny of 'divisions of
  work items' such as has been previously used.
  
  Resolution 18 - JTC 1 Recognition Program
  
  "JTC 1 reviewed document JTC 1 N 5925, Japanese proposal on the
  introduction of a JTC 1 recognition program, and as a result reminds its
  Subcommittees and National Bodies that the ITTF has already in place a
  system of appreciation. Upon publication of the relevant standard, and
  identification by the SC Secretariat of the appropriate project editor,
  the project editor receives from the ITTF a certificate of appreciation
  together with a complimentary copy of the standard.
  
  Having reminded the subcommittees of the ITTF program, JTC 1 asks its
  National Bodies and SCs to submit ideas on other possible means of
  recognition related to the development of standards and the extension of
  such programs beyond project editors."
  
  Japan initiated JTC 1'as consideration of improvements to the
  recognition program.  I note that ITTF sponsors a recognition program
  for project editors already there may be cause for SC 22 to make use of
  it.
  
  Resolution 23   JTC 1 Performance Metrics
  
  "To be able to assess and manage its performance and to evaluate trends,
  JTC 1 instructs its SCs to provide by February 15, 2000 and in their
  future yearly Business Plan report to JTC 1 the following metrics:
  
  Average Meeting Attendance at Plenaries and Working Groups (where a
  plenary include a meeting of all working groups   if working groups do
  not meet during plenary meetings, a cumulative mean attendance to
  working group meeting should be used) (Att. Plena.)
  
  New Standards published (NSP)
  
  Total standards published (and currently valid) (TSP)
  
  Active projects (AP)
  
  New projects introduced(NP)
  
  This data should be given for at least a five year period
  
  The following table is a format to be used by each SC where the data in
  the last column is an estimate:
  
  METRIC
  1995
  1996
  1997
  1998
  1999
  
  Attendance at Meetings
  
  New Standards Published
  
  Total Standards Published
  
  Active Projects
  
  New Projects
  
  JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to collate and summarize for all of JTC
  1 this information and publish it in a document."
  
  JTC 1 is interested in collecting statistics about SC-wide activity.
  Please plan to include this data in your annual status report.
  
  Resolution 27   JTC 1 Strategic Planning
  
  "JTC 1, in order to further evaluate the contributions which have been
  made by National Bodies and SCs in response to Resolution 32 of the JTC
  1 Rio de Janeiro Plenary meeting, establishes a Special Group for
  Strategic Planning working in an ad hoc mode, with the following Terms
  of Reference:
  
  The tasks of the Special Group are:
  
  To consider in detail the contributions received by JTC 1 in response
  to Rio resolution 32_, as identified in agenda item 11.1 of JTC 1 N
  5967, and comments thereon by National Bodies and SCs, received not
  later than 2000-01-31;
  
  To address the issues identified in JTC 1 N 5926, Proposals for the
  Modifications of NP, FCD, FDIS, and Fast Track DIS Ballot Formats and
  Related Pass Criteria;
  
  To develop proposals to JTC 1 to address the challenges identified in
  the contributions. Such proposals should also address aspects of
  implementation of the measures as well as migration if necessary.
  
  Noting that some of the contributions received contain far-ranging
  proposals which require careful consideration, JTC 1 requests that the
  initial focus of the Group is put on measures with a short- to
  medium-term implementation range. An additional focus of the Group will
  be to look at longer-term measures that will require intensive
  consultation with the parent organisations, and to develop proposals
  towards this end. Such proposals will particularly address the way for
  JTC 1 to proceed.
  
  JTC 1 National Bodies are invited to nominate members of the Special
  Group. The Group may decide to invite additional participants, as
  needed.
  
  The Group will use electronic means of operation as much as possible,
  but is authorized to hold meetings, if necessary. JTC 1 National Bodies
  will have access to all working documents of the Group.
  
  JTC 1 requests the Special Group to deliver the results of its
  deliberations in time for the November 2000 Plenary.
  
  JTC 1 Plenary meeting. Additionally, the Group is encouraged to submit
  any intermediate proposals to JTC 1 at any time so that they can be
  balloted and implemented by JTC 1 at the earliest possible time.
  
  JTC 1 authorizes the Special Group to submit proposals to JTC 1 for a
  60 days letter ballot as per clause 9.1.7 of the JTC 1 Directives. "
  
  JTC 1 appoints Mr. Scott Jameson as Convener of the Special Group."
  
  The Special Group will hold its Kick-off the week of 21 February, 2000
  in Oslo, Norway.
  
  JTC 1 is considering several means of evolving an organization
  structure, management plan and work program that are more responsive to
  market requirements.  I plan to participate on behalf of SC 22.  If you
  have any relevant comments, please send me them.
  
  Resolution 28 - Normative Referencing Of Specifications Other Than International Standards
  
  "JTC 1 reaffirms that there is a need for the normative referencing of
  specifications other than international standards from within JTC 1
  standards as set out in the guidelines document JTC 1 N 4046, and
  resolves that:
  
  More experience is needed in the application of the guidelines in JTC1
  N 4046 before their incorporation into a permanent policy and that
  therefore the trial period for the application of the guidelines is
  extended until the next JTC1 plenary meeting;
  
  SC chairmen and secretariats should take steps to improve awareness of
  the guidelines in JTC1 N 4046 within their own organizations. They
  should evaluate carefully the need for any normative referencing of
  specifications other than international standards and also observe the
  requirements for all normative references to be listed as set out in
  both JTC1 N 4046 and the JTC1 Directives;
  
  It is JTC 1's intention to terminate the trial period as soon as
  possible.  Therefore, SCs and National Bodies are requested to use the
  experiences gained in the extended trial to develop a position on the
  introduction of a permanent policy, including specific textual proposals
  for the adaptation of JTC1 N 4046 to provide text for a permanent policy
  in the JTC1 Directives;
  
  A single policy is sufficient to cater for the normative referencing of
  specifications other than international standards in both JTC1 standards
  and ISPs, (if any), so that further development of the guidelines
  contained in JTC 1 N4047 for ISPs is unnecessary;
  
  SCs and National Bodies are requested to pay particular attention to
  mechanisms that could be utilized to reduce the burden of the process on
  officers at the SC level. Examples can include the reuse by one SC of a
  prior written statements developed by another SC, or the use of
  appropriate statements from approved co-operative agreements between
  JTC1 and another organization;
  
  The JTC 1 secretariat is requested to arrange for space on the JTC1
  web-site to be made available so that Referenced Explanatory Reports
  (RERs) provided by SCs can be reviewed by other SCs for reuse when
  further specifications from the same Referenced Specification (RS)
  originator are to be referenced;
  
  SCs and National Bodies are also requested to make practical proposals
  for the accommodation of specifications accessible in electronic form
  (e.g. on web-sites via a stable URL) including formats of acceptable
  electronic addresses and recommendations for notification of changes in
  status or location of such specifications."
  
  JTC 1 extended the test program.  I believe they felt that there was
  insufficient experience to warrant termination.  SC 22 needs to provide
  JTC 1 with specific evidences of use, or risk termination of the test
  program during the 11/2000 meeting of JTC 1.
  
  Resolution 31 - Enhanced Public Information on JTC 1 Work in Progress
  
  "JTC 1 instructs the Chairmen of its SCs to provide the Secretariat with
  a resume of their SC business plans tailored for inclusion on a public
  information page to be made available via the JTC 1 Web Page by end of
  December 1999 and requests that they provide thereafter appropriate
  updates on work in progress, and proposals for any new items when
  changes arise."

  JTC 1 is attempting to make visible the good things it works on.  We
  will provide them with evidence.
  
  Resolution 32 - Increased Publicity of JTC 1 Activities
  
  "JTC 1 encourages its National Bodies and SCs to help contribute
  information and articles to professional journals, meetings and
  proceedings so that information on JTC 1 work and related
  activities within partner organizations is widely disseminated and
  understood. In particular JTC 1 expresses appreciation to the ISO
  Bulletin staff, the JTC 1 Secretariat and the many authors who have
  contributed articles and news for publication to date for their
  magnificent support in making information on JTC 1 activities and
  successes widely available and  resolves as follows with a view to
  expanding and managing this service:
  
  a) JTC 1 requests its Secretariat to publish on the JTC 1 web site the
  schedule of forthcoming JTC 1- sponsored contributions in the monthly
  issues of the ISO Bulletin together with the names and email address of
  the projected authors
  
  b) JTC 1 retains 8 of the annual issues for matters directly related to
  JTC 1 and SC use and requests its SCs and National Bodies to help
  advance relationship with partner organizations and further mutual work
  by contacting representatives of these organizations and to invite
  contributions for 4 of the annual issues from organizations in liaison
  with JTC 1 its SCs or WGs to provide information on their work and their
  relationships with ISO/IEC. 
  
  c) JTC 1 encourages its National Bodies and SCs to produce case studies
  on standards success stories (e.g. MPEG, SPICE, VRML) and to have these
  published in major widely distributed IT journals
  
  d) JTC 1 encourages its National Bodies and SCs to advance management
  attention to standardization issues and strategic value by contributing
  appropriate articles and letters to widely distributed and respected
  management and news magazines."
  
  JTC 1 is concerned to expose the world the good things it accomplished.
  
  Resolution 34 - JTC 1 and SC Websites
  
  "JTC 1 encourages its National Bodies to review their experience with
  the use of the new JTC 1 and SC web sites and invites them to submit
  feedback to the Secretariat on any areas for improvement."
  
  Take a look at various web sites and send constructive commentary to
  Lisa Rajchel.
  
  Resolution 36 - Joint Marketing Initiatives with Partner Organizations
  
  "JTC 1 encourages its National Bodies and SCs to consider JTC 1
  Marketing requirements and opportunities including possible joint
  marketing initiatives with partner organizations and requests its
  Secretariat to issues a call to JTC 1 National Bodies and Liaison
  Organizations and SCs for inputs to be considered at the next JTC 1
  plenary."
  
  This is, in my opinion, one of the things SC 22 WGs do better than the
  other SCs do.
  
  The following are other items of interest
  
  Next year's JTC 1 meeting will be in Tromso, Norway, in November.
  
  All six of SC 22's contributions received favorable consideration by
  JTC 1.
  
  I will post the status report I presented for SC 22.  It focuses on
  what we do in the name of market relevance.  It is a PowerPoint file,
  complete with speaker's notes.
  
  I will post the JTC 1 Resolutions from the meeting.
  
  As a final matter, we all owe a debt of gratitude to Bob Follett.  It
  is clear that JTC 1 respects SC 22's opinions, and values its 
  contributions.  Over the past several years, Bob has made that
  possible.
  
  The following documents are given in 5967:
  N 5771 (Swedish contribution), N 5892 (SC 22 contribution), N 5908
  (Swiss contribution), N 5909c, N 5909 (US contribution), N 5911 (Irish
  contribution), N 5919c, N 5919 (French contribution), N 5959 (German
  contribution), N 5960 (Japanese contribution)

_____________________ end of SC22 N3033 _______________________________