Subject: N3032 - Norway Comments on SC22 Letter Ballot N2933 - FDIS 14651 - Method for Comparing Character Strings and Description of a Common Tailorable Ordering Template

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:53:20 -0500 (EST)

______________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3032

TITLE:
Comments Accompanying the Vote of Norway on SC22 Letter Ballot N2933
Received After Ballot Closure (Third FCD Ballot for FCD 14651: Information
technology - International String Ordering and Comparison - Method for
Comparing Character Strings and Description of a Common Tailorable
Ordering Template)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-11-09

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Member Body Vote

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.30.02.02

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies
ACT to WG20

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N2933, N3025

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Defined

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
SPringfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________ end of title page; beginning of comments ________________

Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 08:16:05 +0100
From: Ulf Leirstein <[email-masked]>

Subject: Earlier vote from Norway on document N2933

Comments accompanying the Norwegian "yes" vote on FCD 14651.3 as
contained in SC22 N2933:

no.1 Cl 2:
conforming applications must support "backward" at level 2.

no.2 Cl 6.1 note 1: There are no equivalence defined between combining
sequences and other characters in UCS, and there should not be. Please
reword the note: "If some near-equivalence is intended between
combining...."

no.3 cl 6.2.2.3
How are positions counted? As collating_elements, or as characters?

no.4  cl 6.2.2
A statement that key generation and comparison can be on-the-fly should
be reinstalled, as per the FCD.2

no.5 cl 6.3.2 WF3
This should not be true, the undefined levels should be filled in with
the key as a weight, as in POSIX.

no.6 cl 6.3.2 WF4
All tables shall have a order_start statement. Delete note.

no.7 cl 6.3.2 WF6
A symbol_group can consist of just one symbol_element. Furthermore there
may be weights with 2 elements on level 2 and 3  and then level 4 is
only one element. Please delete rule.

no.8 cl 6.3.2 WF12
It should not be needed to exclude hex_uppers, and the strings should be
of equal length. Please refer to 14652 definiton of the same issue.

no.9 cl 6.3.2 WF13
The two first words do not read.

no.10 cl 6.4
It should be possible to conform to just the syntax of the standard, eg
a POSIX LC_COLLATE should be able to be conformant - even if does not
relate to the CTT by a delta.

no.11 cl A
Control characters must have a weight value, to ensure deterministic
behaviour. Possibly at level 4. This is also to ensure compatibility
with industry practice
as given i X/Open and POSIX collection localles.

no.12 cl A
B WITH HOOK, TOPBAR, C WITH HOOK, D WITH STROKE etc needs to be sorted
with their base letters, to follow industry practice (POSIX collection,
15897 practice, X/Open)

no.13 Cl A
Sxxx identifiers must be replaced with identifiers that be stable over
different editions of 14651, to ensure maximum reusablilty of deltas for
all editions of 14651.
Industry practice is to se names like <a> or the most prominent form of
the base letter/character.

no.14 cl A
Greek should not use same accents as Latin, so change AIGUT, GRAVE,
TREMA, BREVE, MACRO etc. to the corresponding Greek accents. This is
needed to ensure culturally correct Greek ordering.

________________________ end of SC22 N3032 __________________________