Subject: SC22 N3030 - Report of ECMA TC41 Meeting

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:52:50 -0400 (EDT)

______________________ beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3030

TITLE:
Report of the SC22 Liaison on ECMA TC41 Meeting Held October 25-26, 1999
in Menlo Park, California, USA

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-10-27

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
SC22 Liaison Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________ end of title page; beginning of report _____________________

From: Bob Mathis <[email-masked]>

Subject: Report to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 and SC22 Java Study Group

Notes from the first meeting of ECMA TC41 Java, October 25-26, 1999

The meeting was hosted by Sun in Menlo Park, California, and began with a
general introduction by Jan van den Beld (ECMA Secretary General), a
welcome by Jim Mitchell (Sun Vice President) and an introduction to the
submitted documents by Tim Lindholm (Sun). Michael Wheatley (IBM) is
chairman of TC41 and conducted the rest of the meeting.

A delegation from the Japanese National Java Study Group raised the issue
(that has also been raised within the Java Study Group) of what to
standardize. The Terms of Reference for TC-41 say "Develop a standard for a
cross-platform computing environment based upon the Java 2(TM) Standard
Edition (J2SE) Version 1.2.2, specification that consists of the Java
Language Specification, the Java Virtual Machine Specification, and the
Java API Core Class Library Specification." There was a suggestion to do
the standards work in stages (for example, JLS, JVM, API separately) versus
all at once. The general consensus is to work on the whole J2SE as
specified in the Terms of Reference.

Tim Lindholm (Sun) was appointed project editor. Three working groups were
set up: language (Pam Taylor, Share/Sterling), JVM (Rock Howard, Tower),
API (Rex Jaeschke, Microsoft). These groups met during the morning of the
second day to initiate their communication. Much of the work will be done
by e-mail.

Sun's lawyers prevented the submission of documents to ECMA. We hope this
will be corrected shortly.

Members of JSG who work for ECMA member companies should participate in
this work through their member company. Other members of JSG, who want more
information, should contact me directly.

Bob Mathis 
Convener Java Study Group and SC22 Liaison to ECMA TC41.

_____________________ end of SC22 N3030 ________________________________