Subject: SC22 N3010 - SC22 Response to JTC 1 Request for Strategic Planning Input

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:08:09 -0400 (EDT)

___________________________ beginning of title page _____________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3010

TITLE:
Approved Response to ISO/IEC JTC 1 on Request for Input on Strategic
Planning

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-09-28

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N3013 (res. 99-6)

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________ end of title page; beginning of response ________

Ms. Lisa Rajchel
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1
American National Standards Institute
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036

SUBJECT: JTC 1 Request for Input on Strategic Planning

Dear Lisa:

Reference is made to Rio Resolution 32 in which ISO/IEC JTC 1 requests its
Subcommittees to provide contributions regarding future strategic
orientation for JTC 1.

JTC 1/SC22 requests JTC 1 to allow National Body O-members of SC 22 to
nominate experts to SC 22 Working Groups.

SC 22 understands that, if the current prohibition is relaxed, some of its
WGs would realize increased participation, reversing a trend of declining
participation that has concerned a number of SC 22 WGs. This increased
participation could lead to higher quality and more timely JTC 1 standards
due to the greater resources and additional technical expertise available to
the WGs.

SC 22 has a diverse set of WGs developing International Standards within its
scope. Some National Bodies are not able to fulfill the obligations of a
P-member for most or all SC 22 activities, but can contribute to the work of
one or two SC 22 WGs. SC 22 observes the JTC 1 Directives permit National
Body O-members of JTC 1 to establish P-membership in a JTC 1 SC. SC 22
requests JTC 1 to extend this principle to SC 22 and its WGs and open
participation in SC 22 WGs to SC 22 O-members.

Sincerely

WILLIAM C. RINEHULS
Secretariat, JTC 1/SC22

_______________________ end of SC22 N3010 ______________________________