Subject: N3008 - SC22 Response on Extension of Trial Period for Normative Referencing

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:52:38 -0400 (EDT)

____________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3008

TITLE:
Approved JTC 1/SC22 Response to ISO/IEC JTC 1 on Extension of Trial Period
for Normative Referencing of Specifications Other Than International
Standards

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-09-27

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC2

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N2122, N2123, N2884, N2966, N3013 (res.99-3)

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________________ end of title page; beginning of response ______________
Ms. Lisa Rajchel
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1
American National Standards Institute
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036

SUBJECT:  Extension of Trial Period for Normative Referencing of
          Specifications Other Than International Standards

Dear Lisa:

Reference is made to Rio Resolution 12 in which ISO/IEC JTC 1 requests its
Subcommittees to report on their use of the policy on normative
referencing and make a recommendation on the revision of the guidelines.

JTC 1/SC22 has made limited use of normative referencing to date; however,
there are several draft specifications in development which will require
normative referencing.

JTC 1/SC22 considers this policy extremely important and useful, and
recommends that, in lieu of extending the trial period, the policy be made
a permanent part of the JTC 1 procedures.

It is our belief that control of normative referencing is better achieved
by National Body balloting rather than administrative controls because
balloting is inherently adaptable to the particular circumstances of the
situation.  For example, a normative reference to a widely available
textbook could cite the specific edition and should require no further
explanation beyond the resolution of balloting comments.

Sincerely

William C. Rinehuls
Secretariat, JTC 1/SC22

_______________________________ end of SC22 N3008 _____________________