Subject: SC22 N3009 - Liaison Report from CEN/TC304

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:00:35 -0400 (EDT)

____________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3009

SUBJECT:
Liaison Report from CEN/TC304 to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-09-27

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Liaison Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________ end of title page; beginning of report ______________

           Liaison Report from CEN/TC304 to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Source:  Marc Wilhelm Kuester, Liaison Office from CEN/TC304 to SC22

Unfortunately, short term obligations have prevented me from attending
this year's Berlin plenary of SC22 and to present my liaison report in
person, as curtesy would normally have required me to do.  I hope that
this written report may serve as an acceptable substitute.

CEN/TC304, "European Localization Requirements", has a long history of
close cooperation with SC22 -- primarily, though not exclusively, in the
arena of Cultural and Linguistic Adaptability.  Many of the standards in
SC22's WG20 have either originated in TC304 as the international standard
on Procedures for Registration of Cultural Elements, IS 15897, the former
ENV 12005, or are being developed in close cooperation with European
delegates.

In turn, many of the forthcoming standards of SC22 are of considerable
importance and benefit for CEN/TC304.  Above all, we may stress FCD
14651.3, the international standard on string ordering, a profile of
which, the European Ordering Rules, are currently under ENV ballot.
Coordination and harmonization of the two projects has been and continues
to be a top priority of TC304.

Other projects which make direct use of SC22 standards include the
Eurolocale project and the Population of the Cultural Registry.

The Eurolocale has passed its preliminary CWA (CEN Working Agreement)
ballot a few weeks ago.  This project defines a pan-European default POSIX
locale which is to be used, amongst others, in the business of the
European Commission.

The Population of the Cultural Registry collects European locale date
according to the registry standard 15897.

Projects which are not related to any specific standard of SC22 but may
be of interest to its members include a study on European requirements in
the area of browsing and matching (string matching, markup languages,
metadata...).

Even this very brief report should give an idea of the intense
cooperation between CEN/TC304 and working groups in SC22.  CEN/TC304 draws
substantial profit from this liaison for its work.  We hope that SC22
members agree it is of mutual benefit and will continue to be so in the
future.

Marc Wilhelm Kuester

___________________________end of SC22 N3009 __________________________