Subject: SC22 N3005 - Denmark National Body Activity Report

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:31:07 -0400 (EDT)

____________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3005

SUBJECT:
Denmark National Body Activity Report for the September 1999 JTC 1/SC22
Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-09-27

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________ end of title page; beginning of report _______________

                         ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 N3005
                        National Body of Denmark
Activity Report to the Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22, September 1999, 
                            Berlin - Germany

Since last year's plenary meeting in Denmark the Danish NB has been
active in several working groups, varying efforts being put into the
individual groups.

The Danish experts have allocated resources especially to following
subject areas:

C (WG 14)
POSIX (WG 15)
Internationalization (WG 20)
C++ (WG 21)
Java Study Group (SC 22/JSG)

Moreover, some of the experts are showing interests in and make efforts
to follow development in areas like: Pascal, Ada and Modula 2, as well as
Formal Description Techniques. As a national delegation of Denmark to
this plenary meeting, we would like to stress that like many other small
countries also Denmark suffers from a lack of experts to involve in
standardization work.

Another major problem is related to the workload  which is going to be
accepted by the experts. Since JTC1 expect that standards will be
developed within tight time schedules, which are not always
realistically assessed, and developing a programming language or 
look-alike standards is not that easy, and it is not progressing so fast
as standards from other areas (communication etc.).

Since Denmark has only SME (Small and Medium sized Enterprises) it is
extremely hard to convince the companies to offer resources to
standardization work, and it will definitely not be possible to recruit a
full-time standardization expert. 

The Danish delegation would like to see raised a discussion - during the
plenary meeting - on methods and ways to improve the work of SC22 in
future in order to better attract new experts.

___________________________ end of SC22 N3005 _________________________