Subject: SC22 N3004 - Netherlands National Body Activity Report (fwd)

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:24:07 -0400 (EDT)

____________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3004

SUBJECT:
Netherlands National Body Activity Report for the September 1999 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-09-27

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________ end of title page; beginning of report _______________

National Activity Report from the Netherlands
to the SC22 Plenary, Berlin (Germany)
20-23 September 1999

The Dutch Programming Language Committee has currently 17 members and
meets 2-3 times per year to discuss SC22 issues and, when necessary,
relevant JTC1 documents.

There is active participation from the Netherlands in the SC22 WGs on
COBOL, Fortran, Ada, bindings, C, Modula-2, POSIX and C++    .  Other SC22
projects, such as APL, M(umps), VDM, Prolog and Internationalization are
followed on a more individual basis.

Like in other National Bodies, the Dutch SC22 committee is suffering from
funding problems: it proves very difficult to find participants (with
supportive employers) who are willing to sacrifice time to review
documents and come to meetings (this is not the hard part), but who are
also willing and able to pay the required NNI fee.  A solution to this
problem is clearly not obvious, and there is a risc that (the solution of)
this problem may have consequences for international participation of
Dutch experts.

PTR 14369 - Guidelines for the preparation of Language-Independent
Service Specifications (LISS) was approved by JTC1 without any comment;
therefore the documents were sent to ITTF 'as is' for publication.
However, the final proof that was sent to the editor (member of the Dutch
SC22 panel) for approval appeared to be changed by ITTF without any
comment or clarification as to why the changes were made.  The changes
were in two areas: the definition clause was changed (making it
inconsistent with other parts of the document), and the previously
approved dedication of the document to Brian Meek was removed.  After a
strongly worded disapproval of this course of action, ITTF has now
prepared a proof that is corrected in these areas.  It is the position of
the Dutch SC22 committee that this way of handling proofs by ITTF is
counterproductive and should be avoided.

W. F. Wakker, Chairman
September 1999

__________________________ end of SC22 N3004 __________________________