Subject: N3002 - Austria National Body Activity Report - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:53:34 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3002

TITLE:
Austria National Body Activity Report for the September 1999 JTC 1/SC22
Plenary - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-09-15

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the September 1999
JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________ end of title page; beginning of report ____

  Austrian National Body Report
  to the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 Plenary
  Berlin, September 20th-23rd, 1999

  In Austria, standardization activities are coordinated by ON
(Oesterreichisches Normungsinstitut).  The mirror group of ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC22 is called AG 001.5.  It is a very small group, making it
impossible to follow all the international developments.  However, at
least some of the documents can be processed, and there is active
participation in some working groups, most notably Fortran (by Gerhard
and David Schmitt) and Modula-2 (by Martin Schoenhacker, who is the
current convener).

  It is still hoped that industry will eventually start to participate
in this Austrian mirror group, but so far the members all come from
academia.  This causes problems in particular with funding, which is
also one of the reasons that Austria will unfortunately not be
represented at this year's SC22 Plenary meeting.

  The other reason for not being represented is a relatively sudden
change in my personal life: For the college year 1999/2000, I am
teaching at Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, as a
Visiting Assistant Professor. As classes have just started on September
1st, I am unable to take a week off and attend the Plenary. I do regret
this, and sincerely hope that I will be able to attend in 2000.

  The invitation to Vienna for the first Plenary of the next millennium
(depending on the way you count!) in 2001 is still valid, of course.
Unless I hear otherwise, I will proceed and make arrangements. Detailed
information would then be provided at the 2000 Plenary.

  With regard to my convenership of WG13 Modula-2, ON is happy to let me
continue, and I would of course be happy to continue to serve WG13 as a
convener. I would therefore like to officially ask for renewal of my
convenership.

  I do hope to be able to welcome you all in Austria in 2001, and on
behalf of the Austrian mirror group wish you all an interesting,
productive and successful meeting in Berlin!

        Best regards,

                                Dr Martin Schoenhacker
                                Austrian HoD to SC22
                               
_____________________ end of SC22 N3002 _______________________________