Subject: SC22 N2983 - Japan National Body Activity Report for SC22 Plenary - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:13:44 -0400 (EDT)

__________________ beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2983

TITLE:
Japan National Body Activity Report for the September 1999 JTC 1/SC22
Plenary - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-09-02

SOURCE
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the September 1999
JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax: +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

______________ end of title page; beginning of report __________________

Japan National Activity Report to the Plenary Meeting of JTC 1/SC22
September 1999

1. National Activities for International Standardization 
SC22 of Information Technology Standards Commission of Japan (ITSCJ) is
working as a Japanese National Committee for ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22. SC22
meetings are held 6 times per year and some additional ad-hoc meetings.
There are ten working groups (COBOL WG, Fortran WG, Ada WG, C WG, Lisp
WG, Prolog WG, POSIX WG, C++ WG, Internationalization WG, and Language
Independent Issues WG) and one study group (Java SG) under this committee
to cope with activities of JTC1/SC22. VDM/SL and Z are covered by another
group (Formal Description Technique SubWorking Group) in ITSCJ with close
liaison with our SC22. There are no corresponding WGs to WG3 (APL), WG13
(Modula-2), or WG22 (PCTE).

Java SG
Japanese Java SG invited ISO/IEC JTC1/SC 22/Java SG Tokyo meeting in
October 1998, where various aspects on Java standardization were
discussed; such issues as on handling international character sets,
real-time, profiles, compiling techniques, numerical representation.
>From this July, it has re-directed its effort to ECMA TC 41, a newly
formed body for Java standardization, expecting to contribute the actual
outcome.

COBOL WG
COBOL WG is participating very actively both of SC22/WG4 meetings and
ANSI/COBOL (NCISTS J4) meetings. Japan is strongly interested in 
facilities of MOCS and Object Orientation of the next COBOL Standard.

Fortran WG
Fortran WG has continued its active participation with SC22/WG5. We
responded one FCD ballot (Part 2: Varying length character strings) and
one FDIS ballot (Part 3: Conditional Compilation). Translation of ISO/IEC
1539-1:1997 into Japanese was published as the JIS Fortran standard.
Fortran WG found out several defect items during the translation and will
send its list to Primary Development Body soon. And also translation work
of ISO/IEC 1539-3:1999 into Japanese was started. 

Ada WG
Ada WG continued its active participation with SC22/WG9.
A JIS standard of Ada 95, corresponding to ISO/IEC 8652:1995, will be
prepared by the end of March 2000.  We do not translate the whole
standard into Japanese. Most parts of the JIS standard will refer to the
English version of the international standard.

Language Independent Issues WG
This WG is the corresponding WG for SC22/WG11. Japanese delegate is
participating in SC22/WG11 meetings actively.

C WG
C WG has been debating on revision of C (C9X) with other member bodies of
WG14 via email and by attending WG14 meeting. C WG has suggested several
improvements, corrections and proposals via email and vote of FCD.  All
of such comments had already been resolved by discussion among WG14 and C
WG, and incorporated into FDIS in an appropriate manner.  C WG will begin
to translate of FDIS at this October for preparing JIS C standard
corresponding with C9X.

POSIX WG
POSIX WG is participating in document review and balloting activities of
SC22/WG15. For more effective and active participation to POSIX related
works, Japanese POSIX WG is being reorganized.

Lisp WG
Members of Lisp WG have contributed to establishing the JIS standard for
ISLisp (JIS X 3012 - 1998).  The WG is now standing by for the future
work on ISLisp.

Prolog WG
Prolog WG has been working mainly on Part 2 - Modules for several years,
and sending delegations to most of SC22/WG17 meetings. Members of Prolog
WG are working on translation of a summary of Prolog Part 1: General
Core, ISO/IEC 13211-1 to make a JIS standard.  

Formal Description Technique Sub Working Group (FDT-SWG)
This SWG is the corresponding WG for SC22/WG19 and is actively reviewing
not only Z but also VDM-SL.

Internationalization WG
This WG meets once a month regularly, inviting, when necessary,
specialists from various fields.  Japan constantly attends the SC22/WG20
meetings and gives many ballot comments.

C++ WG
C++ WG has contributed to the effort primarily in areas of particular
interests such as extended characters, strings, locales and I/O streams
by creating and reviewing proposals. And now translation work of ISO/IEC
14882:1998 into Japanese has been started. 

2. Development of National Standards
The Japanese national standard is known as Japanese Industrial Standard
(JIS). The current status of JISs in the area of SC 22 is as follows: 

1) Established JISs
- Fortran Part 1 (JIS X 3001-1 - 1998) = ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997
- Fortran Part 2 (JIS X 3001-2 - 1998) = ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994
- COBOL (JIS X 3002 - 1992) = ISO/IEC 1989:1985 + AMD 1 
- Full BASIC (JIS X 3003 - 1993) = ISO/IEC 10279: 1991 
- Pascal (JIS X 3008 - 1994) = ISO/IEC 7185:1990 
- Ada (JIS X 3009 - 1991) = ISO/IEC 8652:1987 
- C (JIS X 3010 - 1996) = ISO/IEC 9899:1990 + AMD 1:1995
- MUMPS (JIS X 3011 - 1995) = ISO/IEC 11756:1990
- ISLisp (JIS X 3012 - 1998) = ISO/IEC 13816:1997
- POSIX Part 1 (JIS X 3030- 1994) = ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990

2) JISs to be established in FY 1999
- POSIX Part 2 = ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993
- Prolog Part 1: General Core = ISO/IEC 13211-1:1995

3) Draft JISs being prepared in FY 1999
- Ada (JIS X 3009 - 2000) = ISO/IEC 8652:1995
- C = ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (to be completed in 2000)
- C++  = ISO/IEC 14882:1998 (to be completed in 2000)
- Fortran Part 3 = ISO/IEC 1539-3:1999
- TR: Guidelines for Programming Language Standards Preparation = ISO/IEC
  TR 10176
- TR: Framework for Internationalization = ISO/IEC TR 11017

_____________________________ end of SC22 N2983 _______________________