Subject: SC22 N2981 - SC22 Plenary Ad Hoc on Increasing Working Group Participation

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:04:29 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2981

TITLE:
SC22 Plenary Ad Hoc Meeting on Increasing Participation in Working Groups
- PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-08-30

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Convener Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
This document is the framework for the ad hoc meeting under agenda item
10.1 at the SC22 September 1999 Plenary.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N2947

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

___________________ end of title page; beginning of document ___________

Reply-To: [email-masked]

Subject: SC22 Plenary Ad Hoc on Increasing Participation in Working Groups

The revised wording to explain the intent of the Ad Hoc meeting at the
SC22 plenary on Increasing Participation in Working Groups (Agenda Item
10.1). 

====
Formal membership in SC22/WG9 is declining because of financial policies
pursued by JTC1 member bodies. Several nations have ceased participation
in WG9 in recent years because of fees levied upon volunteers to finance
the operation of the national bodies at levels higher than the working
group. In the case of WG9, many of the individual participants are true
volunteers who participate independently of their employment. WG9 and
its Rapporteur Groups have held travel expense to a minimum by
conducting business by email and by co-locating meetings with technical
conferences. In spite of this, though, national body fees have taken
their toll on participation. Perhaps other Working Groups are suffering
similar problems.

Working Group conveners, and other interested persons, are invited to an
ad hoc discussion of the problem. Questions for the discussion might
include:
- Is this a general problem, or a problem only in specific working
groups?
- Does the problem threaten the quality of the work being performed?
- How can high quality work be assured when national body participation
is thin?

__________________________ end of SC22 N2981 ___________________________