Subject: SC22 N2978 - SC22 Chairman Presentation to JTC1 Plenary - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:25:11 -0400 (EDT)

_____________________ beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2978

TITLE:
SC22 Chairman Presentation to ISO/IEC JTC 1 - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-08-23

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Information from JTC 1 Chairman

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
This document will be discussed under Agenda Item 12.5 at the September
1999 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______________ end of title page; beginning of text _________________

TO:           JTC 1 SC Chairmen

FROM:         Tom Frost, JTC 1 Chairman

SUBJECT:      Participation by SC Chairmen in Seoul Plenary

This is an update for the SC Chairmen on plans for the November 1999 JTC 1
Plenary in Seoul.

Per Resolution 27 of the January 1999 JTC 1 Plenary in Rio de Janeiro, the
Chairmen's Forum normally held immediately prior to the Plenary has been
discontinued.  JTC 1 is intending to highlight the technical work of the
SCs at the Plenary to encourage more discussion and interaction among SCs
and National Bodies.

Your participation in the upcoming Plenary is critical to JTC 1's success,
especially in light of the Strategic Planning topic that will also be
addressed at the Plenary.  Input from all of the Subcommittees regarding
JTC 1's current and potential work program will be very useful input for
strategic planning decisions that may be made regarding the focus of
JTC 1's work, involvement of industry, and means to achieve JTC 1's
strategic goals.

For the Seoul Plenary, we will begin with reports from the SCs on their
work.  While JTC 1 requires joint business plans for the Technical
Directions (which should be coordinated among the constituent SCs/WGs) as
well as individual SC business plans, at this Plenary we will be focusing
on reports from each Subcommittee.  Separate presentations covering the
Technical Directions will not be necessary unless there are specific 
issues from the Technical Direction perspective that need to be addressed.

For your presentations to the Plenary, please provide details on the
standards under development that you consider to reflect the market
relevance of the SCs' work.  As a guidleine, I suggest picking two or 
three projects and provide background information on what the standard
under development is addressing, how it satisfies market needs and
examples of the decisions the SC is making in the technical development.
(I realize that different SCs have varying numbers of projects to select
from so use your judgment in determining how many projects you want to
cover.)  You should also provide information on areas of opportunity for
future standardization within the scope of your SC, particularly if the SC
is contemplating new projects.  Please limit presentation of
administrative aspects of the SC, e.g, organizational structure, meeting
schedule, etc. that are contained on your SC's web site as I want to focus
on details of specific projects and strategic planning aspects, e.g., what
JTC 1 is working on and what the SCs are and can be doing.  The SC
presentation should be up to 30 minutes in duration including time for
questions.

After we've covered the work of the Subcommittees, the Plenary will 
consider other strategic planning input topics, e.g., progress with the
PAS process, and National Body and Subcommittee contributions on the topic
of strategic planning.  Your participation in those discussions will also
be valuable.

I would like to have each Subcommittee represented at the Seoul Plenary.
If you are not able to attend, please arrange to have someone else 
represent your SC and make the presentation.  Please notify the JTC 1
Secretariat by September 30 regarding your attendance at the Plenary.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the Seoul Plenary
or your presentation, e.g., projects to discuss.  I'll be happy to discuss
with further.  You can reach me via email or at +1 908 542 6238.

Thanks for your continued leadership of JTC 1's technical work.

Tom

____________________ end of SC22 N2978 _____________________________