Subject: SC22 N2936 - Vote Summary on PDAM1 to IS 10176

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:14:12 -0400 (EDT)

_______________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2936

TITLE:
Summary of Voting on Concurrent PDAM Registration and PDAM Ballot for
PDAM1 to ISO/IEC 10176:1998 - Information technology - Guidelines for the
Preparation of Programming Language Standards

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-06-16

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summmary of Voting

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.13.01

STATUS:
PDAM1 has been registered.

WG20 is requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and make a
recommendation on the further processing of the PDAM.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N2897

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________ end of title page; beginning of overall summary ________

                          SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2897
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            1999-03-11
Closing Date:                1999-06-14

SUBJECT:  Concurrent PDAM Registration and PDAM Ballot for PDAM1 to
ISO/IEC 10176:1998 - Information technology - Guidelines for the
Preparation of Programming Language Standards

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following responses have been received on the subject of registration:

"P" Members supporting approval
       without comment                     10

"P" Members supporting approval
       with comment                         0

"P" Members not supporting approval         1

"P" Members abstaining                      2

"P" Members not voting                      9

"O" Members abstaining                      1

The following responses have been received on the subject of approval:

"P" Members supporting approval
      without comment                       10

"P" Members supporting approval
      with comment                           0

"P" Members not supporting approval          1

"P" Members abstaining                       2

"P" Members not voting                       9

"O" Members abstaining                       1

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secretariat Action:

DAM1 to ISO/IEC 10176:1998 has been registered.

The comment accompanying the abstention vote from Australia was:  "No
technical expertise."  The comment accompanying the abstention vote from
France was:  "Due to lack of resources."  The comment accompanying the
abstention vote from Sweden was:  "Due to lack of expertise."

The comments accompanying the negative vote from the United Kingdom are
attached.

WG20 is requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and make a
recommendation on the further processing of the PDAM.

______ end of overall summary; beginning of registration summary _______

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY
                           Registration Ballot

PROJECT NO:  JTC 1.22.13.1

SUBJECT:  Concurrent PDAM Registration and PDAM Ballot for PDAM1 to
          ISO/IEC 10176:1998 - Information technology - Guidelines for the
          Preparation of Programming Language Standards

Reference Document No:  N2897           Ballot Document No:  N2897
Circulation Date:  1999-03-11           Closing Date:   1999-06-14
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                      Approve  Disapprove Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Austria                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Belgium                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)    
Canada                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Finland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Germany                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
UK                      ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ukraine                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
USA                     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

'O' Members Voting

Sweden                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )

___ end of registration summary; beginning of approval summary __________

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY
                             Approval Ballot

PROJECT NO:  JTC 1.22.13.1

SUBJECT:  Concurrent PDAM Registration and PDAM Ballot for PDAM1 to
          ISO/IEC 10176:1998 - Information technology - Guidelines for the
          Preparation of Programming Language Standards

Reference Document No:  N2897           Ballot Document No:  N2897
Circulation Date:  1999-03-11           Closing Date:   1999-06-14
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                      Approve  Disapprove Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Austria                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Belgium                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)    
Canada                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Finland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Germany                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
UK                      ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ukraine                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
USA                     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

'O' Members Voting

Sweden                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )

____ end of approval summary; beginning of UK comments __________________

                       JTC 1/SC22 LETTER BALLOT

FROM THE MEMBER BODY OF:
_______United Kingdom___________________

On the proposal that document N2897, or its revised version, be registered
as Proposed Draft Amendment 1 (PDAM1) to ISO/IEC IS 10176:1998

This Letter Ballot is to be returned by each "P" Member to the Secretariat
of JTC 1/SC22 by JUNE 14, 1999

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_____  We support the registration.

               or

_____  We supporting the registration with the attached comments.

               or

_X___  We do not supporting this registration for the attached reasons.

               or

_____  We abstain from voting.

("P" MEMBERS HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO VOTE.)

* PLACE AN "X" ON WHICH LINE APPLIES.

Name (please print) _Geoff Williams,
 For UK 'P' Member ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22

Signature (if mailed) ________________________  Date: _99-06-14____
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISO/IEC
VOTE ON COMMITTEE DRAFT PDAM1 to IS 10176
                              Date of Circulation:    1999-03-11
                              Closing Date of voting: 1999-06-14
                              Reference No:    ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N2897

P-members have an obligation to vote

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Title:  Programming languages, their environments and system software
        interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Circulated to P-members of the committee for voting.
Please send this form, duly completed, to the secretariat indicated above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CD:     PDAM1 to IS 10176:1998

TITLE:  Information technology - Guidelines for the Preparation of
        Programming Language Standards, Amendment 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please put an "X" on the appropriate line(s)

Approval of the draft:

_____ as presented

_____ with comments as given below

      _____  general

      _____  technical

      _____  editorial

__X__ Disapproval of the draft for reasons below

      _____  Acceptance of these reasons and appropriate changes in the
             text will change our vote to approval

_____ Abstention for reasons below

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
P-member voting:
United Kingdom

Date 99-06-14                 Signature (if mailed) H Williams
For UK 'P' Member, ISOIEC/JTC 1/SC 22

UK comments on ISO/IEC TR 10176/PDAM 1 - Information technology -
Guidelines for the Preparation of Programming Language Standards,
Amendment 1 (SC22 N2897)

PDAM registration

Whilst the UK is in agreement that the current Annex A to TR 10176 is
incorrect, it does not consider that the proposed amendment will provide
a satisfactory solution to the problem.

PDAM ballot

(a) this Annex is not needed, as the text (from memory, in clause 4) of
the standard specifies the type of characters that should be used in
identifiers;

(b) a specific list is not needed, as this would require updating in line
with future amendments to ISO/IEC 10646 in order to be most useful to
users; and

(c) if a specific list of characters to be used in identifiers in an
Annex to ISO/IEC TR 10176 were to be produced during 1999, this should
reflect the contents of ISO/IEC 10646-1:1999, not just the contents of
ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993, as apparently there is no intention to keep this
list in this Annex updated

___________________ end of SC22 N2936 __________________________________