Subject: Document SC22 N2199

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:28:57 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their enviroments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2199

July 1996

TITLE:              WG21 Convener's Report for the September 1996
                    JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:             Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

SWORK ITEM:         N/A

STATUS:             N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:    N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:      Convener's Report

ACTION:             To SC22 Member Bodies for information and preparation
                    of positions on the recommendation included in the
                    Report.

                    This Convener's Report and the actions requested
                    therein will be agenda items for the September 1996
                    JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________________
 			
           ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG21 (C++) Convener's Report
           ----------------------------------------------

WG21 has a single project: JTC1.22.32.

The Working Group had its first meeting 18?19 June 1991, and has now met
17 times?three times per year?in joint technical sessions with US
committee X3J16. Ten countries have been represented at the meetings:
Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Japan, New Zealand, Sweden,
UK, and the USA.

1.   SUMMARY OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS

The C++ CD was ballotted  between May 28 and September 28, 1995 (CD
14882, SC22/N1824).  Ballot responses included a large number of
substantive comments. WG21 spent three meetings (November 1995, March
1996, and July 1996) resolving the comments, and expect to submit a new 
working draft for a second CD ballot shortly afer our November meeting.

1.1  Language Independent and Cross Language Standards

The Working Group has been monitoring cross-language standards activities.
We are using the WG20 guidelines on extended characters. We have also tried to 
remain as close to the requirements of the LIA-1 standard as possible, but 
have not produced an explicit binding document. WG21 has several liaison 
appointments:

Group     Subject                                  Liaison
--------  ---------------------------------------  -----------------
WG11      Language Independent Datatypes           Keld Simonsen
WG14      C                                        Tom Plum
WG15      POSIX                                    Nobuo Saito
WG20      Internationalization                     Keld Simonsen
SC24/WG6  Multimedia presentation and interchange  Karl Soop

2.   TARGET DATES

WG21 is requesting a change to its schedule because we expect it to take
two extra meetings to resolve the first CD ballot comments. The
technical changes were finalized in July 1996, but WG21 wants to look
at the final draft in November before recommending it be forwarded to
SC22 for a second CD ballot. This lengthens WG21's schedule by eight
months.

The complete list of former and proposed target dates is shown in below. 

Original  New       Event
date      date
------ ------------ ---------------------------------------------------
 9/89  (completed)  USA requested to submit C++ New Work Item Proposal
 4/91  (completed)  Approved C++ NP
 6/91  (completed)  First meeting of WG21
12/93  (completed)  Circulate informal draft within SC22
 7/94  (completed)  Vote to register WD as CD; Mtg #10.
 9/94  (completed)  Complete editorial corrections; provide WD to SC22.
10/94  (completed)  Begin CD registration ballot. 
 3/95  (completed)  Complete CD registration ballot resolutions; Mtg #12. 
 6/95  (completed)  Begin CD ballot.
 3/96   11/96       Complete CD ballot resolution; Mtgs #14-17
 5/96   12/96       Begin second CD ballot
 3/97   11/97       Complete second CD ballot resolution; Mtg #19, 20
 5/97   12/97       Begin DIS ballot 
12/97    8/98       Complete editorial corrections from DIS ballot 
                      resolution. Send IS to ITTF (with final report).

3.   ISSUES FOR DISCUSSION

WG21 requests that SC22 accept our revised schedule and target dates.

The three-year term of WG21's convener, Sam Harbison, expires at the
1996 SC22 plenary meeting, and Dr. Harbison regrets that he will be
unable to serve for another three-year term. WG21 expects the United
States to propose Tom Plum as the new convener, and WG21 supports that
proposal.

4.   MEETING SCHEDULE

WG21's future meeting schedule is shown below.

No. Date             Location           Standards Body & Corporate Sponsor
--- ---------------  ------------------ ---------------------------------
16  Jul  7?12, 1996  Stockholm, Sweden  ITS   Ellemtel
17  Nov 10?15, 1996  Hawaii, USA        ANSI  Plum Hall, Inc.
18  Mar  9?14, 1997  Nashua, NH, USA    ANSI  Digital Equip. Corp.
19  Jul 13?18, 1997  United Kingdom     BSI  Programming Research
20  Nov  9?14, 1997     to be determined
21  Mar  8?13, 1998     to be determined

_____________________ end of document SC22 N2199 ________________________