Subject: SC22 N2923 - Liaison Between WG20 and World Wide Web Consortium - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 18:19:26 -0400 (EDT)

_____________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2923

TITLE:
Statement of Mutual Benefits and Responsibilities:  Liaison Between
SC22/WG20 and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-05-15

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the September 1999
JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N2921

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________________ end of title page; beginning of statement __________
  
Liaison between the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and SC22/WG20 
Statement of mutual benefits and responsibilities 

1999-05-07

This statement is in support of a type C-Liaison between JTC1/SC22/WG20
and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). 

The Internet has received much attention in the recent years, much
because of the world wide web services. As these services are penetrating
society on a global basis and are becoming of daily use to major parts of
the population of the world, it is important that people be serviced on
the web in their own language and culture. 

The working group JTC1/SC22/WG20 of ISO/IEC responsible for
internationalization is producing standards in this area, and the W3C
organisation, which is responsible for many standards for the world wide
web services, is also producing specifications in the
internationalization area specifically oriented towards use in the web
services. 

Benefits: 
The W3C is producing specifications for an API on interationalization for
web services. WG20 thinks that those specification could benefit by a
better line of communication with WG20. SC22/WG20 develops international
standards regarding internationalization. Since W3C has a clear interest
in such standards, it would benefit by having a liaison line from
SC22/WG20 reporting on the progress in such standards development. 

Responsibilities: 
The two organizations will exchange information and contributions to
common interest work on a regular basis. Whenever possible, they will
send representatives to each others meetings. 

Approved: SC22/WG20 

Approved: World Wide Web Consortium

________________ end of SC22 N2923 _____________________________________