Subject: SC22 N2922 - Liaison Between WG20 and TC46/SC2 - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 18:12:39 -0400 (EDT)

__________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2922

TITLE:
Statement of Mutual Benefits and Responsibilities:  Liaison Between
SC22/WG20 and ISO/TC46/SC2 - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-05-15

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the September 1999
JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N2921

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________ end of title page; beginning of statement _________

Title:  Liaison between ISO/TC46/SC2 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG20:
        Statement of mutual benefits and responsibilities

Date:   25 March 1999

Source: John Clews, Chair, ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages

Status: To be discussed: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG20, 3-7 May 1999 (WG20 N649)
        To be discussed: ISO/TC46/SC2/WG8 and ISO/TC46/SC2, 19-20 May 1999.

1. Introduction

Like ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG20, ISO/TC46/SC2 is also involved in
standardizing some aspects of information. Again like JTC1/SC22/WG20,
ISO/TC46/SC2 also uses repertoires of ISO/IEC 10646 as its starting
point for the repertoires it standardizes.

The scope of ISO/TC46/SC2 (Conversion of Written Languages) includes both
transliteration and transcription, mainly of non-Latin scripts into Latin
near-equivalents. Some of this has an orientation towards computers,
for instance in the draft standards:

ISO NP 15920: Use of diacritical marks for conversion purposes
ISO NP 15921: Generalized conversion methods
ISO CD 15924: Codes for representation of names of scripts

There are also some overlaps between these and some work in ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC22/WG20, notably in some early drafts of ISO/IEC FCD 14652,
where codes for representation of names of scripts were also in use,
and also where ISO/IEC FCD 14652 also refers to transliteration in
various clauses.

2. Benefits

ISO/IEC 10646 provides the basic coding requirements for globalized
and localized computing, but additional services are required.
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG20's standards provide relevant specifications on
string ordering and some other internationalization requirements of
of these repertoires; ISO/TC46/SC2's standards provide specifications on
transliteration and other transformations for these repertoires, and
also codes for scripts which can be used in such systems.

There will be considerable benefit in ensuring that there is no
overlap or conflict between standards in development, and in allowing
standards developed by one committee to refer to standards of the
other committee.

There would be further benefits in gaining input from a wider range
of experts on each set of standards where there was mutual interest.

3. Responsibilities

The two organizations will exchange information and contributions of
common interest, particularly between ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG20:
Internationalization, and ISO/TC46/SC2/WG8: Transliteration and
computers.

Where possible, they will send representatives to each other's
meetings, and where appropriate experts from each committee will also
participate in developing, and/or in commenting on, draft standards
which are of mutual interest.

_______________________ end of SC22 N2922
_________________________________