Subject: SC22 N2921 - WG20 Convener Report and Business Plan for September 1999 SC22 Plenary

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:56:30 -0400 (EDT)

______________________ beginning of title page ________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2921

TITLE:
WG20 Conveners Report and WG20 Business Plan for the September 1999 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-05-15

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Convener Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the September 1999
JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.  It should be noted that the report contains a number
of requests for approval action at the Plenary.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N2922, N2923

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______________ end of title page; beginning of report ______________

SC22/WG20 N677
Date: May 12, 1999 

Business plan and convenor's report:
ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22/WG20 - INTERNATIONALIZATION

PERIOD COVERED:
September 1999 - September 2000

SUBMITTED BY:
Convenor WG20
Arnold F. Winkler
Unisys B203-14
2476 Swedesford Road
Malvern, PA  19355
Tel: 610-648-2055
Fax: 610-695-5473
E-mail: [email-masked]

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY

1.1 SCOPE
Identification of elements relevant to the work of SC22 that may be
affected by differences in language, culture, customs and habits; and for
these elements, develop standards that enable applications to be portable
across differing cultural practices; and develop a Technical Report that
describes a framework for nations to provide those elements

1.2 PROJECT REPORT

Project number
Description
Editors

22.13 (completed)
Second edition of TR 10176: "Guidelines for the preparation of
programming language standards"
Akio Kido and Makoto Noda
A revision has been suggested to correct and align Annex A to ISO 10646.
(see project 22.13.1)

22.13.1
Amendment #1 to TR 10176: "Guidelines for the preparation of programming
language standards"
Correct Annex A and align it with ISO 10646
Arnold F. Winkler has been nominated as the editor - needs confirmation.

22.30.01 (completed)
TR 11017: "Framework for internationalization"
T.K. Sato

22.30.02.01 (umbrella project - no standard associated)
Functionality of the internationalization of applications
Keld Simonsen

22.30.02.02
ISO/IEC 14651: International string ordering
Alain LaBonté

22.30.02.03
ISO/IEC 14652: Specification method for Cultural Conventions
Keld Simonsen

22.15435
ISO/IEC 15435: Internationalization API
Keld Simonsen

22.15897
ISO/IEC 15897: Procedures for registration of cultural elements
Keld Simonsen

For details see later discussion of projects.

1.3 COOPERATION AND COMPETITION
 
Internationalization is considered a high priority issue by many groups
that develop standards, most important amongst them are:

*  CEN/TC304, various working groups
*  W3C, the World Wide Web Consortium
*  Unicode Consortium
*  ISO TC46/SC2
*  Individual working groups and subcommittees of JTC1

WG20 is cooperating with all of the above mentioned groups, either
through already existing liaisons, or through individual contacts that we
are formalizing by requesting liaison approvals.

2. PERIOD REVIEW

2.1 MARKET REQUIREMENTS

WG20 believes that through the proliferation of PCs and the World Wide
Web, internationalization has become a very important factor in the
creation of programs and thus all programming languages.  

2.2 ACHIEVEMENTS
 
ISO/IEC TR 10176 is being published.

2.3 RESOURCES 

Please see 6.1.3 for the general resource situation.  WG20 has to
prioritize its work to make best use of the scarce resources available. 

3. FOCUS FOR THIS PLANNING PERIOD 
 
3.1 DELIVERABLES: 

WG20's focus for 2000 will be to complete the International string
ordering standard ISO/IEC 14651 and also the amendment to ISO/IEC TR
10176.  

3.2 STRATEGIES: 
 
WG20 has 2 principle strategies:
A.  Technical excellence
B.  Liaisons with all interested parties

3.2.1 RISKS 

The risks with the chosen strategies are:
A.  Repeated reviews and many contributors slow down the process
B.  Many liaisons with individual interests create complex requirements
    which are harder to meet

3.2.2 OPPORTUNITIES 

A.  Technical correctness of the WG20 work ensures that resulting
    standards can and will be implemented immediately after publication,
    sometimes even before.
B.  WG20 develops standards and Technical Reports with contributions and
    requirements from many liaisons.  This ensures comprehensive standards
    that provide excellent service to a wide variety of users.

3.3 WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES 
 
Culturally correct processing is important for all facets of data
processing.  Culturally correct ordering of data is one of the most
complex tasks due to contradicting requirements from various parts of the
user community.  WG20 is using most of its resources to complete IS
14651, a standard that allows international string ordering with the
option to tailor the output to satisfy specific user communities (e.g.
geographic areas, cultural groups, businesses).  In light of the
extensive use of international search engines this task deserves highest
priority in the work of WG20.

Specification methods for cultural conventions and a registry of cultural
elements allow developers of programming languages and of user
applications alike to write code against well defined, approved sets of
such conventions in consistent formats.  TR 14652 and IS 15897 are
examples of WG20 work that support these user groups.  After ordering,
these documents have highest priority in WG20.

4. Membership of SC22/WG20

4.1 Liaisons and representatives to and from SC22/WG20

4.1.1 Liaisons from WG20

Liaison from WG20  Organization         Subject
Arnold Winkler     SC2/WG2              Character Sets
Keld Simonsen      SC22/WG15            POSIX
Miles Ellis        SC22/WG5             Fortran
Keld Simonsen      SC22/WG14            C
Keld Simonsen      SC22/WG21            C++
Alain LaBonté      GUIDE/SHARE-Europe   I18n
Keld Simonsen      CEN TC 304           I18n, character set technology
Alain LaBonté      CEN TC 304           I18n, character set technology
Alain LaBonté      SC35                 User System Interface
Keld Simonsen      TC37/SC2/WG3         Alphabetic ordering

4.1.2 Liaisons to WG20

Liaison to WG20    Organization         Subject
Arnold Winkler     SC2/WG2              Character Sets
Keld Simonsen      SC22/WG15            POSIX
Ann Wallace        SC22/WG4             COBOL
Miles Ellis        SC22/WG5             Fortran
Jim Melton         SC32/WG3             SQL  (see requests to SC22)
Keld Simonsen      SC22/WG14            C
Keld Simonsen      SC22/WG21            C++
Alain LaBonté      GUIDE/SHARE-Europe   I18n
Marc Küster        CEN TC 304           I18n, character set technology

note:  CEN TC 304 is now called European Localization Requirements

4.1.3 Liaison requests

SC22/WG20 is in the process to establish liaisons with: 

*  the Unicode consortium 
*  the newly formed SC35 on user interfaces
*  the W3C internationalization group
*  TC46/SC2 - conversion of written languages
*  SC32/WG3 - SQL (re-affirmation of former SC21/WG3)

4.1.4 Representatives

None at this moment.
Note: Co-operation with CEN may require official representatives for both
directions.

4.2 Meetings of SC22/WG20

1     November 1991   Sunnyvale    USA
2     April 1992      Paris        France
3     October 1992    Québec       Canada
4     April 1993      Copenhagen   Denmark
5     October 1993    Tokyo        Japan
6     April 1994      Oxford       United Kingdom
7     October 1994    Cupertino    USA
8     May 1995        Paris        France
9     September 1995  Copenhagen   Denmark
10    April 1996      Kyoto        Japan
11    September 1996  Vienna       Austria
12    Spring 1997     Québec       Canada
13    November 1997   Cairo        Egypt
14    June 1998       Dublin       Ireland
15    October 1998    Tel Aviv     Israel
16    May 1999        Malvern      USA
planned meetings:
17    November 1999   Copenhagen   Denmark
18    May 2000        Québec       Canada

4.3 Convener of WG20

My term as convenor of WG20 is running out with the 1999 plenary.  I am
interested in continuing to serve as convenor and I have the support of
my management.  

5. Projects of SC22/WG20

5.1 Status of active projects

5.1.1 TR 11017: Framework for internationalization

a     Framework for internationalization
b     JTC1 22.30.01
c     A type 3 Technical Report
d     T. K. Sato
e     The TR 11017 has been published in English and French.  The project
      is completed.

5.1.2 Second edition of TR 10176     

a     Guidelines for the preparation of programming languages standards
b     JTC1 22.13
c     An amendment to a type 3 Technical Report
d     A. Kido and M. Noda
e     The TR has been published.  The project is completed.  

5.1.3 Amendment #1 to TR 10176
a     Amendment to "Guidelines for the preparation of programming
      language standards"
b     JTC1 22.13.1
c     An amendment to a type 3 Technical Report
d     Arnold F. Winkler is proposed as the editor.
e     Maintenance is needed due to errors in Annex A and rapid additions
      to the repertoire of ISO 10646.  An amendment is being processed.
f     SC22 letter ballot N2846 for project subdivision closed on March 8,
      1999, summary of voting and comments are in N2895.  The project
      subdivision has been approved.
g     SC22 letter ballot N2847 for allowing concurrent registration and
      PDAM ballot and for PDAM-1 ballot has closed March 8, 1999.  Summary
      of voting and ballot comments are in N2896.  The concurrent ballot
      has been approved.
h     SC22 letter ballot for concurrent registration and PDAM
      consideration (N2897) will close June 15, 1999.  
i     Arnold F. Winkler has been nominated as editor of this amendment,
      his nomination has been submitted to SC22 for approval.

5.1.4 International string ordering  (future ISO/IEC 14651)

a     International string ordering (Method for Comparing Character
      Strings and Description of the Common Template Tailorable Ordering)
b     JTC1 22.30.02.02
c     International Standard ISO/IEC 14651
d     Alain LaBonté
e     SC22 Letter Ballot N2864 for a second FCD 14651 closed April 8,
      1999. 
      Summary of voting and comments are in documents SC22 N2911 and
      N2912.  
f     The disposition of comments (SC22/WG20 N670) and a new document for
      the 3rd FCD ballot (SC22/WG20 N684) are being developed by the
      editor, based on direction from the WG20 meeting in Malvern, May
      3-7, 1999.  The new document  will be submitted to SC22 before June
      1, 1999.
g     Technical changes: A BNF specification method has been introduced,
      replacing the POSIX format.  All API related sections have been
      eliminated as requested by earlier ballot comments.  

5.1.5 Cultural convention specification standard  (future ISO/IEC 14652)

a     Specification method for cultural conventions
b     JTC1.22.30.02.03
c     International Standard ISO/IEC 14652
d     Keld Simonsen
e     SC22 Letter Ballot N2869 - FCD Approval for 2nd FCD 14652 - closed
      on April 26, 1999.  Summary of voting and comments are in SC22
      N2917. Disposition of comments is being developed by the editor,
      22 based on directions from WG20 in the meeting in Malvern, May
      3-7, 1999.  
f     In reviewing the comments accompanying the SC22 summary of voting
      on FCD 14652, WG20 agreed to change the document from a FCD to a
      Type 1 PDTR.  It is anticipated that the PDTR will be provided to
      SC22 for letter ballot within the next half year.

5.1.6 Internationalization API standard  (future ISO/IEC 15435)

a     Internationalization API standard
b     JTC1 22.15435
c     International Standard ISO/IEC 15435
d     Keld Simonsen
e     Combined registration and CD ballot has been approved.  
f     The editor will prepare a document for CD ballot.

5.1.7 Procedures for registration of cultural elements  (ISO/IEC 15897)

a     European registration standard
b     JTC1 22.15897
c     International Standard ISO/IEC 15897
d     Keld Simonsen
e     This international standard is the result of a fast-track
      processing of EN 12005 to become an international standard.  SC22
      assigned the maintenance of this standard to WG20.  
f     The plan for progression in WG20 N680 was approved.

5.2      Candidate projects

5.2.1 Functionality of Internationalization

a     Functionality of the internationalization of applications
b     JTC1 22.30.02.01
c     A number of standards, see subproject descriptions below
d     Keld Simonsen
e     This is an umbrella project 

This project is the umbrella project for the development of specific
standards for functionality of the internationalization of applications,
such that users can specify their cultural requirements, and obtain
consistent behavior across system platforms and applications.  Work is
being done on the following projects:
-     Guide for programming language standards (TR 10176)
-     International string ordering (IS 14651)
-     Specification method for cultural conventions (IS 14652)
-     Internationalization APIs (IS 15435)
-     Procedures for registration of cultural elements (IS 15897)

WG20 has presently no specific plans for additional projects, but is
considering work on character properties of ISO 10646.

6. Conclusions and requests

6.1 Issues

6.1.1 Concerns about the distribution and reference of electronic
document

When using the WG20 web site for document distribution, we encounter the
following problem that causes considerable concern:  

*  WG20 often refers to documents from liaison organizations (W3C,
Unicode, ...).  Once WG20 gives these documents a WG20 number, we have to
ensure that the document does not change without our knowledge and that
we have the possibility to re-distribute it with a new number.  
*  If the document is copied to the WG20 web site, it will not be
synchronous with changes on the original site.  Document that use style
sheets or other linked elements will normally not display correctly, when
copied to the WG20 web site.
*  If the document is linked to the original site, we have a moving
target - we never know, what changes have been made to the document.  
*  Keld Simonsen will present a paper at the SC22 plenary to discuss this
problem and to make suggestions how to handle such cases.

6.1.2 Cultural adaptability

The JTC1 plenary has decided that WG20 shall organizationally remain in
SC22, while being part of the new Technical Direction "Cultural and
Linguistic Adaptability and User Interfaces".  This TD has not yet shown
any significant sign of life (e.g. plan for the meeting of the
convenors).  JTC1 decided to request specification of known I18N
requirements in NPs (Rio plenary N5748), but has rejected that
subcommittees assume responsibility for assessment of cultural and
linguistic requirements in their annual business plan.

6.1.3 Resources for standards development

The biggest issue in SC22/WG20 - as in most other standards developing
organizations - is that many companies can not afford to make enough
resources available for speedy development of standards.  For many
participants in our meetings, the meeting time is the only time they can
spend on the projects. Additionally, travel budgets are tight, thus
restricting the participation even further.

6.1.4 WWW home page for SC22/WG20

SC22/WG20 maintains its WWW home page.
The home page address is   http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG20/
The web site contains:
*  Introduction and explanation of SC22/WG20 activities
*  Working drafts of standards from SC22/WG20
*  SC22/WG20 documents for electronic distribution
Keld Simonsen (DKUUG)  is appointed as a maintainer of the home page,
Arnold Winkler provides most WG20 documents in web-ready form.

6.1.5 Document distribution

SC22/WG20 has distributed documents in paper form to an extensive
distribution list for many years.  With advise and help from the SC22
secretariat, the distribution method has been switched to mainly web
based distribution.  The convenor has asked all recipients of paper
documentation to request in writing continued paper distribution or to
accept web based document distribution.  The need for paper copies is
going from 85 to less than 15 - quite a success.

6.2 Requests to the SC22 plenary

6.2.1 Liaison with SQL (SC32/WG3)

Approve liaison of SC22/WG20 with SC32/WG3 - SQL.  Jim Melton is the
liaison from SQL.  WG20 had a long liaison relationship with SC21/WG3 for
SQL related subjects.  With SC21 gone, the SQL related work has been
assigned to SC32/WG3 - SC32/WG3 and WG20 want to maintain the liaison
relationship.  (Repeat from 1998)

6.2.2 Liaison with SC35 

Approve liaison with SC35 - new subcommittee for user interfaces
(formerly JTC1 WG5).  This subcommittee is in the same Technical
Direction for cultural and linguistic adaptability and user interfaces.
Both committees will benefit from each others experience and work.
(Repeat from 1998)

6.2.3 Liaison with W3C

Approve Category C Liaison with the World Wide Web Consortium.  The W3C
is one of the most advanced users of internationalization features in
their recommendations and in conformant implementations.  SC22/WG20 N685
is the statement of mutual benefits and responsibilities.

6.2.4 Liaison with ISO TC46/SC2 - Conversion of written languages.

Approve liaison with ISO TC46/SC2.  TC46/SC2 deals with the conversion of
written languages (transliteration, etc...).  Since this conversion is
culturally dependent, it should be included in the registry of cultural
elements and in the specification method standards (IS 14652 and IS
15897).  SC22/WG20 N649 is the statement of mutual benefits and
responsibilities.

6.2.5 Editor for JTC1 22.13.1

Approve Arnold F. Winkler as editor for project 22.13.1 - TR 10176, Amd.
#1.  

6.2.6 ISO/IEC 15897 

Approve concurrent registration and FCD ballot for project 22.15897,
ISO/IEC 15897 - Procedure of registration of cultural elements.  
This standard was fast-tracked from CEN/TC304 EN 12005, which covered
mainly European conventions.  WG20 is amending the standard to world-wide
coverage of cultural elements ( for example the Japanese and other Far
East conventions about calendar dates). 

WG20 plans to submit a document for registration and FCD ballot within
one year.

End of document

___________________ end of SC22 N2921 _______________________________