Subject: N2916 - Draft Minutes of April 1999 WG11 Meeting

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:39:06 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2916

TITLE:
Minutes of SC22/WG11 (Binding Techniques) Meeting on April 14-16, 1999 in
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-04-24

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
WG Minutes

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________ end of title page; beginning of minutes ___________________

DRAFT MINUTES OF MEETING		                SC22/WG11 N460

Committee: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG11

Place:     ACE Consulting bv
	   Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Date:	     April 14-16, 1999

Attendees:   Prof. Katsuhiko Kakehi   Waseda University, Japan
	     Mr. Kent Karlsson	      IMI, Sweden
	     Mr. Roger Scowen	      UK
	     Mr. Willem Wakker	      ACE Consulting bv, Netherlands (Convener)
	     Prof. Wolfgang Walter    Technische Universität Dresden, Germany

1.  Agenda

It was agreed to follow the agenda, as outlined in WG11/N457.

2.  Minutes of previous meeting (WG11/N444)

The following changes to N444 were made:

- Mr. Kent Karlsson is from IMI, Sweden.
- Section 11: replace "Mr. Jane Stride" should be replaced by "Mrs.
 Jean Stride" (with apologies to Mrs. Stride).

3.  Work Item 22.17 - Language-Independent Datatypes

The document is published by ITTF as IS 11404:1996.

4.  Work Item 22.16 - Language-Independent Procedure Calling

The document is published by ITTF as IS 13886:1996.

5.  WDTR 14369 - Language-Independent Service Specification

Since the last meeting the document has passed the SC22 PDTR Registration
ballot and the SC22 PDTR approval ballot with no NO votes and only easy-
to-deal with comments.	The final JTC1 DTR ballot closed in March 1999, and
here also the document passed without NO votes and without comments.  The
document for final publication will be prepared by the convener.

6.  CD 10967-2 - Language-Independent Arithmetic, part 2: Elementary
    Numerical Functions

The 3rd CD ballot resulted in 8 YES votes, 1 YES vote with comments (USA),
4 NO votes (France, Germany, Japan and the UK); 2 SC22 P-members abstained
and 7 P-members did not vote.  As an O-member Sweden also submitted
comments with a YES vote.  The ballot comments are in WG11 N458.
During the meeting a draft DoC, as prepared by the project editor, and
distributed before the meeting as WG11 N459 was discussed.  Based on the
discussions during the meeting the editor will prepare a final DoC.

The next version of LIA-2 will be the Final CD, and will be submitted for
FCD ballot no later than the end of August 1999.  If necessary, an informal
interim meeting to support the editor will be held in July 1999, possibly
in Dresden.

In its ballot comment Germany noted that the problem of summation of many
terms, especially of floating point numbers or of simple products thereof
(i.e. the dot product) is not addressed adequately.  It was agreed that
specifications addressing this point should be included in LIA-2.  However,
as no text is available at this point, and since the publication of the
current text has the highest priority, it was agreed that text on this
issue will be developed separately.  This text can then be inserted in the
document in a later stage (assuming that this does not delay the
publication of LIA-2 and does not cause problems with conformance) or be
used as amendment text to be submitted immediately after the current LIA-2
has been submitted for publication.

During the meeting Wolfgang Walter presented some background on interval
arithmetic.  It was agreed that if specifications for interval arithmetic
were to be included in LIA, this should go in a separate part of the LIA
series.

7.  WD 10967-3 - Language-Independent Arithmetic, part 3: Complex Floating
    Point Arithmetic and Complex Elementary Numerical Functions

During the meeting an overview of the possible operations that will form
the basis for part 3 was briefly discussed.  A first draft document is
expected by the next WG11 meeting.

8.  Planning and Future Meetings

It was decided that the next meeting of WG11 should be scheduled to be held
6-8 weeks after the SC22 distribution of the ballot comments on FCD
10967-2.
Offers to host this meeting are invited.

____________________ end of SC22 N2916 _________________________________