Subject: N2915 - SC22 Comments on Proposed MOU Between ISO and ITTF

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:09:26 -0400 (EDT)

______________________ beginning of title page ________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2915

TITLE:
SC22 Response to ISO/IEC JTC 1 Request for Comments on the Proposed
Memorandum of Understanding Between ISO and the International Federation
for Information Processing (IFIP)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-04-24

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2902

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________ end of title page; beginning of first letter ______________

To:        Lisa Rajchel, Secretariat, JTC 1

Subject:   SC 22 Comments on JTC 1 N 5777
           Draft Memorandum of Understanding Between ISO and IFIP

SC 22 desires to maintain the cooperative relationship which we have had
with IFIP.  We are therefore concerned that the proposed procedure,
based upon ISO Procedures, apparently does not include any role for JTC
1 and does not include any consideration of JTC 1 Procedures.  It would
appear that any IFIP standards that are in the area of work assigned to
JTC 1 should be processed in a way that is aligned with the JTC 1
Procedures (current or with appropriate modification) and that includes
consideration by the appropriate JTC 1 subcommittee and by the National
Bodies of JTC 1.  We would certainly want to avoid any possible future
competition between IFIP and JTC 1 standardization efforts that could
potentially result from a lack of JTC 1 participation in the
international standardization process for IFIP documents.

Thank you for the opportunity of commenting on this document. 
Unfortunately, the time available for commenting on this document was
extremely short and  we were unable to receive comments from our liaison
officer to IFIP during this period.  

Robert H. Follett
Chairman, SC22

_____ end of first letter; beginning of second letter __________________

To:		Lisa Rajchel, Secretariat, JTC 1

Subject:	Additional SC 22 Comments on JTC 1 N 5777	
		Draft Memorandum of Understanding Between ISO and IFIP

We have now received comments from the SC 22 liaison to IFIP and would
like to modify our comments as follows.

While our previous comments would apply if IFIP were developing
standards that might overlap with JTC 1, this is not the case.  IFIP is
not developing standards on products, or protocols, or services, but on
IT professionals (i.e., personnel).  Consequently, it does not appear
possible that there would be any competition between IFIP and JTC 1
standardization efforts. 

Our liaison officer favors the MOU between ISO and IFIP and the process
of standardization contained therein.  Accordingly, we see no reason for
JTC 1 not to support the MOU as written.  

Robert H. Follett
Chairman, SC 22

____________________ end of SC22 N2915 ________________________________