Subject: Document SC22 N2201

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:01:23 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2201

July 1996

TITLE:                FIMS Project Editor Report for the September 1996
                      JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:               Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:            N/A

STATUS:               N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:      N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:        Project Editor's Report

ACTION:               To SC22 Member Bodies for information and
		      preparation of position on the recommendation
                      included in the Report.

                      This Project Editor's Report and the action
                      requested therein will be agenda items for the
                      September 1996 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________________________________________________________________
From: Dan Frantz ZKO2-2/R80 603-881-2272  15-Jul-1996 1542 -0400

                  Report from Project Editor for FIMS, 1996

    The active item outstanding for this project is an amendment to 11730 to
    specify a COBOL/FIMS binding. Other items are to be handled in the U.S.
    National Body and receive fast track consideration in SC22.

    The ISO ballot for AMD 11730-1 passed successfully. However, I will not
    be submitting it for publication. The SC22 approved coordination plan
    was that the draft would undergo simulaneous ballot in ISO and in the
    U.S., yield simultaneous adoption of the same text. However,
    solicitation of U.S. voters for the COBOL/FIMS binding yielded less than
    ten voters, half of which were committee members. It is clear there is
    little U.S. interest in the binding, so there was no U.S. balloting on
    this issue. It would be inappropriate to publish an ISO standard via the
    national body sponsor route if the national body doesn't have the
    standard. Thus, there will be no submission of 11730-1 for publication.

    There has been little implementation activity on FIMS. The U.S. DoD's
    push for FIMS seems to have melted away. As a result, the CODASYL FIMS
    Committee has gone into hibernation with no further activity expected
    unless some implementation activity restarts. Similarly, there will be
    no activity from this project editor.

    The only request I have is to withdraw the COBOL binding project from
    SC22. It remains to be seen if the main FIMS project should be
    continued, but that decision might best be made after another year.

    Respectfully submitted,

    Dan Frantz