Subject: Notice of Document Availability - SC22 N2902 - Proposed MOU Between ISO and IFIP - SPECIAL ATTENTION REQUESTED

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:31:48 -0500 (EST)

Note:  This document was only recently received.  It contains an
invitation from JTC 1 for SC22 comments on the proposed Memorandum of
Understanding.  The Working Group Conveners and SC22 Member Bodies are
requested to review this document and provide comments to Bob Follett,
SC22 Chairman, BY APRIL 10, 1999.  Professor Kakehi is especially invited
to comment.

________________________________________________________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

TITLE:
Correspondence from ISO/CS Concerning the Proposed Memorandum of
Understanding Between ISO and the International Federation of Information
Processing (IFI)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-03-19

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Information from ISO Central Secretariat

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note in particular the ISO/IEC JTC 1 cover page for this document
which is attached.  The document, itself, is at:
"http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/def/n2902.pdf".

SC22 Member Bodies and Working Group Convenenrs are invited to review and
comment on this document. In particular, Dr. Kakehi, the SC22 Liaison to
IFIP, is invited to provide comments.

Any comments should be forwarded to the SC22 Chairman by April 10, 1999
for consolidation and response to ISO/IEC JTC 1 within the time frame
required by ISO/IEC JTC 1.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI or ACT, as applicable

DUE DATE:
1999-04-10

DISTRIBUTION:
PDF

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___ end of Announcement; beginning of JTC 1 Cover Letter ________________

ISO/IEC JTC 1
Information Technology

ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 5777

DATE:  1999-03-10

REPLACES

DOC TYPE:
Information from ISO Central Secretariat (Defined)

TITLE:
Correspondence from ISO/CS concerning the Proposed Memorandum of
Understanding between ISO and the International Federation for Information
Processing (IFI)

SOURCE:
ISO Central Secretariat

PROJECT:

STATUS:
This document was received from ISO Central Secretariat with the request
that JTC 1 review the proposal and provide comments by April 30th.  In
light of the short timeframe available for determining a JTC 1 position on
this request, JTC 1's position will need to be developed via
correspondence.

The JTC 1 Secretariat has reviewed this request for comments with the JTC
1 Chairman.  The Chairman has noted his concern that, in light of the
potential publication of ISO standards based on the MoU, the subject areas
covered by IFIP Technical Committees and Working Groups (as indicated on
the IFIP web site - "http://www.ifip.or.at") - include many Information
Technology topics within JTC 1's scope of work.  Examples are:  software
engineering; protocols for computer networks; security of information
systems; human computer interaction; programming concepts; methodology and
languages; database; computer graphics; and smart cards.  While IFIP
currently has established liaison with JTC 1/SC22 and possibly others, the
MoU does not currently indicate any role for JTC 1 in the proposed
publication of ISO standards dealing with Information Technology subjects.

Members are asked to consider the proposal for the ISO/IFIP MoU and
provide comments to the Secretariat no later than APRIL 15th.  Based on
the comments received, the Chairman and Secretariat will prepare a
response to ISO.  Comments received will be circulated to the JTC 1
membership prior to JTC 1's input being forwarded to ISO.

ACTION ID:  COM

DUE DATE:  1999-04-15

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members

MEDIUM:

DISKETT NO.:

NO. OF PAGES:  6

_______________________________ end __________________________________