Subject: SC22 N2871 - Disposition of Comments Report for PDAM1 to IS 14515-1 - Realtime Extension (C Language)

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:32:10 -0500 (EST)

___________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2871

TITLE:
Disposition of Comments Report for PDAM1 to IS 14515-1: Information
technology - Test Methods Specifications for Measuring Conformance to
POSIX - Part 1: System Application Program Interface (API) - Amendment 1:
Realtime Extension (C Language)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1999-01-06

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.14515-1.02

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2744

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephon:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________ end of title page; beginning of report _____________________

Disposition of Comments: PDAM Ballot for PDAM1 to IS 14515-1: Information
Technology - Test Methods Specifications for Measuring Conformance to
POSIX - Part I: System Application Program Interface (API) - Amendment 1:
Realtime Extension (C Language)

PROJECT:        JTC 1.22.14515-1.02

Reference Documents:    SC22 N2744, Summary of Voting
     
The PDAM Ballot to IS 14515-1 was approved with two negative votes
(Germany  and United Kingdom) and one Abstain/Comment (USA).
The ballot closed on 1998-06-22.  The Summary of Voting is contained in
SC22 N2744.

As a summary, Germany proposed that the project be withdrawn due to
lack of market relevance, the United Kingdom and the US submitted
identical comments expressing general concerns over a perceived lack
of progress (part of which was induced by an administrative error by WG15),
participation in the effort, and market relevance.

Proposed Response:

The IEEE draft standard 2003.1b (Draft 6) was approved in the latest
ballot which closed earlier this month (October), with a 90% approval.
It is now being prepared for submission to the IEEE Standards Board for
final approval as an IEEE Standard.

This project is being processed in accordance with the Synchronization
Plan established between WG15 and the IEEE Computer Society, Portable
Applications Standards Committee, as approved by SC22.  It has been in
process as an IEEE Draft Standard and satisfied all of the requirements
imposed by IEEE and PASC relevant to that process.

Withdrawal of the project, as suggested by Germany, would conflict with
the Synchronization Plan, and thus is not a viable option.

The fact that 2003.1b has now been approved via the IEEE balloting process
addresses the general concerns raised by Germany, the UK, and the US.

There were no specific technical changes requested in any of the comments
submitted  by Germany, United Kingdom, or the US, that called for or
require changes to the PDAM.  Thus, none are proposed.

Proposed Recommendation:

Continue processing this PDAM per the Synchronization Plan.

________________ end of SC22 N2871 _________________________________