Subject: SC22 N2860 - Vote Summary on WG11 Request to Make 11404:1996 Publicly Available

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:31:21 -0500 (EST)

___________________ beginning of title page ________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2860

TITLE:
Summary of Voting on WG11 Request to Make ISO/IEC 11404:1996 Publicly
Available Using the Justification Contained in Document SC22 N2819

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-12-17

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summary of Voting

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
The Secretariat has forwarded this request to ISO/IEC JTC 1 for
consideration at their January 1999 Plenary.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2819

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________ end of title page; beginning of overall summary _____________

                     SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2819
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            1998-09-18
Closing Date:                1998-12-15

SUBJECT:  WG22 Request to Make ISO/IEC 11404:1996 Publicly Available Using
the Justification Contained in Document SC22 N2819

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The following responses have been received on the subject of approval:

"P" Members supporting approval
       without comments                   12

"P" Members supporting approval
       with comments                       0

"P" Members not supporting approval        0

"P" Members abstaining                     1

"P" Members not voting                     9

"O" Members supporting approval
       without comment                     1

"O" Members supporting approval
       with comments                       1
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Secretariat Action:

The Request has been forwarded to ISO/IEC JTC 1 for consideration at their
January 1999 Plenary.

The comments accompanying the affirmative vote from Sweden are attached.

______ end of overall summary; beginning of detailed summary ___________

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    N/A

SUBJECT:  WG11 Request to Make ISO/IEC 11404:1996 Public Available Using the
          Justification Contained in Document SC22 N2819

Reference Document No:  N2819           Ballot Document No:  N2819
Circulation Date:       1998-09-18      Closing Date:  1999-12-15
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                      Approve  Disapprove Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Austria                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Belgium                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)    
Canada                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X) 
Czech Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Finland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Slovenia                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
UK                      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ukraine                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
USA                     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

'O' Members Voting

Korea Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden                  (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )

_____ end of detailed summary; beginning of Sweden Comments __________

From: Ann Flod <[email-masked]>

Subject: SV: (SC22docs.620) SC22 N2819 - Request to Make IS 11404 Publicly  Available - ACCELLERATED LETTER BALLOT

This Letter Ballot is to be returned by each "P" Member Body to the
Secretariat of JTC 1/SC22 by DECEMBER 15, 1998.
 
Please find comments from Sweden, O-member.
 
 _X____  We approve this Request for forwarding to ISO/IEC JTC 1 with the
        attached comments
 
"It is important that international standards be made easily available to
the public via a cost effective and reasonably secure web publishing.  To
add to the security, the web publishing should be done via HTTPS
encrypted transfer with certificate), with a certificate indicating the
originator as ISO/IEC/JTC1, and the certificate must be from a well
established web certificate issuer.  **No** certificate or password should
be required from anyone *accessing* the document for reading.
 
Republication on the public web by another acknowledged party (e.g. W3C)
should be allowed, but only after (paper) written consent from the
ISO/IEC/JTC1 secretariat and under the same (or greater) security
measures.

The certificate used in republication must of course be that of the
republisher.  Parties that may be acknowledged for doing republication
should include NBs, PAS submitters,  similar standardisation organisations
(like W3C or IETF), and public libraries.  Republication for profit should
not be allowed, of course.
 
Republication on intranets should also be allowed, after a simple report
to the ISO/IEC/JTC1 secretariat, preferably via a web form.  In the
future, it may be advisable to require a (recognised) certificate (to be
saved) from the form responder, if that is not too inconvenient.  For
intranet republication (no public access), HTTPS need not be employed,
just HTTP.
 
Any web republication should be required to have an easy to find link to
the ISO/IEC/JTC1 web publication of the *latest version* of the document,
as well as being required not to alter the documents.
 
Publication on the web should be in the form of a PDF file (or a small
number of PDF files) for each of the actual documents.  The PDF language
version should be such that, as yet, the files can be displayed on screen
via Acrobat Reader 3.01.  Each document should have a 'cover' HTML file,
with document title, document name, relevant dates, and links to the PDF
file(s) for the actual document, as well as other (short) information that
is judged to be of interest and relevant to the document.  PDF should be
used for widest possible accessibility, still maintaining fidelity with
the printed document.  'MS Word' format must NOT be used for the web
publication, since that is not as widely accessible, nor has as good
fidelity with the printed report.   An HTML version could be provided as
well (but not instead), but the fidelity compared to the printed version
is low."

___________________ end of SC22 N2860 _______________________________