Subject: SC22 N2857 - Comments Disposition for PDTR 14369 - LISS

From: William Rinehuls <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:19:52 -0500 (EST)

___________________ beginning of title page ________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2857

TITLE:
Disposition of Comments Report for PDTR Approval of PDTR 14369:
Information technology - Programming languages, their environments and
system software interfaces - Guidelines for the Preparation of Language
Independent Service Specifications (LISS)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-12-09

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.46

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2849

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________ end of title page; beginning of report ________________

Disposition of Comments received on the PDTR 14369 approval ballot:
Guidelines for the preparation of language independent service
specifications (LISS), document SC22 N2761.

Comments (with a Yes vote) were received from the UK and the USA.

1.  Disposition of Comments from UK

All comments are accepted with one remark:

   - 17.1.10 - 'may introduce a change the behaviour of an implementation'
     lacks the word 'in', but should be deleted because 17.1.x is a list of
     the 'Kinds of change ...'.

     Response: first part accepted; second part rejected: 17.1.10 is
     considered a useful item on the list.

2.  Disposition of comments from the US.

All comments are accepted with one remark:

   - Item:	USA-14
     Reference: 4.3, para.8, note "The representational...", and elsewhere.
     Qualifier: Editorial
     Rationale: Format of internal cross-references disturbs the reader
     Proposal:	Replace "Clause 4.5.1...below." by "subclause 4.5.1 below."
     or by "subclause 4.5.1, Representational assumptions, below."
     ---> The approach chosen here should be extended to similar references
     throughout the document, using "clause" or "subclause" as appropriate
     by ISO editorial standards. The present format, with large "tabs"
     between clause/subclause numbers and titles, is unacceptable.

     Response: accepted in principle, and implemented wherever possible
     without too many wording changes.	The editor does not know and/or see
     what is intended with the "large" tabs; nothing is done on this
     remark.

__________________ end of SC22 N2857 ________________________________