Subject: SC22 N2853 - WG19 and Z Rapporteur Group Meeting Minutes

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:13:03 -0500 (EST)

____________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2853

TITLE:
Minutes of SC22/WG19 (Formal Specification Languages) and Z Rapporteur
Group Meeting on November 24, 1998 in Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-12-03

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N?A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
WG Minutes

PROJECT NUMBER:
N?A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________________ end of title page; beginning of minutes __________

              Minutes of SC22/WG19 and Z Rapporteur Group Meeting
                               November 24, 1998
                        Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

The meeting was held at 10.30 am on Tuesday 24th November 1998 at the Open
University, Milton Keynes, UK.

Present: Jon Hall, Steve King, Andrew Martin, Susan Stepney, Ian Toyn,
John Wordsworth (chairman and WG 19 Convener).

48.1.  Appointment of secretary

      John Wordsworth took the minutes.

48.2.  Apologies for absence

      Rob Arthan, Marc Benveniste, Andreas Fett, Jonathan Hammond,
Randolph Johnson, John Nicholls, Thomas Santen, Sam Valentine, Jim
Woodcock.

48.3.  Minutes of Z panel meeting 47 and matters arising

      The minutes of Z panel meeting 47 were agreed as an accurate
      record.

      Action 47.3.1: Mailing list to web page (Andrew Martin)
             Action discharged.

      Action 47.3.2:  Revision of type inference rules (Jon Hall, Ian
      Toyn)
            Action discharged.  Proposal IT.48.18 offers a solution, and
            refers to clause 11.5 in Version 1.5 for its formal
            presentation.

      Action 47.3.3.  HTML issues list (John Wordsworth)
            Action carried forward.

                  ACTION 48.3.1  John Wordsworth

      Action 47.3.4.1:  Issue V1.5 to assist in framing proposals (Ian
             Toyn)
            Action discharged.

      Action 47.5.1:  Issue revised proposals (Ian Toyn)
            Action discharged.  This item provoked a discussion on the
meaning of a proposal, and the Convener's previously published guidelines
on the nature of a proposal and how it should be processed.  This
discussion was continued at item "48.5.  Project editor's report" and is
summarized there.

      Action 47.5.2:  Propose extension to Conformance clause (Mark Saaltink)
            Action carried forward.

      Action 47.6.1:  Specify criteria for inclusion of terms in Terms and
            Definitions (Ian Toyn)
            Action discharged   The relevant material is in proposal
            IT.48.17.

      Action 47.6.2:  Prepare a proposal for a Glossary (John Wordsworth)
            Action cancelled.  John Wordsworth had already prepared a
proposal for a glossary, but it there was no consensus for its adoption.

      Action 47.7.1:  Proposals for section reordering, etc. (Andreas Fett,
Wolfgang Grieskamp)
           Action discharged.

48.4.   Convener's report on the SC22 Plenary meeting

      John Wordsworth's report, previously circulated to members of the
working group in an E-mail "Convener's report on SC 22 plenary meeting" of
26 August 1998, was reviewed.  There were no actions arising from this
report.

48.5  Project editor's report (Ian Toyn)

      The Project Editor reported that the main thrust of his work in the
reporting period was the creation of Version 1.5, which showed what the
current draft would look like if some of the items in his list of
proposals were implemented.  Version 1.5 contains a  comparison with the
first Committee Draft (Version 1.2), the comments received on the first
CD, and the Disposition of Comments report.  His intention for the next
reporting period had been to create a new version on the basis of the
decisions made at this meeting on items in his list of proposals.
      There was considerable discussion about the procedure for arriving
at the next CD.  The tension between preparing a CD on a short time scale,
and demonstrating consensus was a recurring theme.  The meeting believed
that the technical content of version 1.5 represented the best state of
information about the Z Notation for the next CD.  The Convener referred
to his guidelines about the presentation of proposals, namely that
proposals should say what problems with the current draft they were to
solve, and exactly what changes to the current draft they entailed.
Proposals are to be published by the Convener.
      There was some discussion about the base against which proposals
should be framed, and the Convener agreed to accept proposals that
described changes to Version 1.2, rather than Version 1.3.
       Ian Toyn's proposals were discussed and reviewed against the
guidelines.  They do not specify the base against which changes are to be
made, and need to be revised to describe changes to Version 1.2. The
proposals were reviewed in order to provide guidance about how they should
be revised. Although there are many proposals, they mostly represent
agreed changes to the technical content of the standard, and should be
dealt with rapidly.
      Wolfgang Grieskamp's proposals were also reviewed.  They are based
on the content of 1.5, and it was felt premature to progress them further
until the technical content of Version 1.5 is accepted into the current
working draft.

           ACTION 48.5.1:  Revise Ian Toyn's proposals in accordance with
the guidance offered at the meeting, and publish them with a view to
getting consent to the changes they entail. (Ian Toyn, John Wordsworth).

           ACTION 48.5.2:  Produce some sample clauses in the style of
Version 1.2 based on the technical content of Version 1.5.  (John
Wordsworth)

48.6  Convener's report on outstanding proposals

      The Convener reported that there were no outstanding proposals for
which the panel's consent had been sought.

48.7  Schedule of further meetings

      The following schedule of meetings was agreed:

            Tuesday 26 January 1999 at Logica Cambridge (Susan Stepney)
            Tuesday 23 March 1999 at the University of Southampton (Andrew
Martin)
            Tuesday 25 May 1999 at the University of York (Ian Toyn)

The meeting closed at 3.30 pm.

Minutes prepared by John Wordsworth.

__________________ end of SC22 N2853 __________________________________