Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:21:09 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings:

It has just been brought to the attention of the Secretariat by Mr. Pierre
Parquier, Convener of WG16 that the current DIS 13816 ballot in JTC 1 does
not carry the title intended by WG16.  The title of DIS 13816 is
"Information technology - Programming languages, their environments and
system software interfaces - LISP".  It was the intention of WG16 that the
title be "Information technology - Programming languages, their
environments and system software interfaces - ISLIP".

While this change in project title and DIS title were never processed by
SC22, it was clearly the intention of WG16 that the "ISLIP" title be the
one used for the DIS.  The major reason for this title is that the Lisp
community doesn't want lisp's long history to end with one dialect.  WG16
has acknowledged that issuing an ISO standard named "LISP" is not
acceptable for the Lisp community and have worked out a consensus on the
name "ISLIP".

WG16 is concerned that National Bodies will vote to "disapprove" the DIS
simply because of the title.

After consulting with Ms. Lisa Rajchel, JTC 1 Secretariat, I am sending
this email note.  Given that the title of the DIS is not the one intended,
National Bodies should include in the JTC 1 ballot comments that the title
should be changed to "ISLIP".  If this is done, the title can be changed
as part of the WG16 consideration of the comments and issuance of a
Disposition of Comments Report.

WG16 hopes that the National Bodies will present the requested title
change in such a fashion that the DIS will not be disapproved simply
because of the title but rather allowing a change in title as part of the
DIS approval process.

Bill Rinehuls
Secretariat, JTC 1/SC22