Subject: SC22 N2842 - WG20 Request for Category C Liaison With Unicode - and letter ballot

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:21:01 -0500 (EST)

_________________ beginning of title page _______________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2842

TITLE: 
SC22/WG20 Request for Category C Liaison with the Unicode Consortium - and
Letter Ballot

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-11-16

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
The statement of expected benefits and responsibilities required by the
JTC 1 Directives is attached.  This statement has been accepted by the
Unicode Consortium.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
ACT

DUE DATE:
1999-03-08

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________ end of title page; beginning of letter ballot ____________
Attachment to
JTC 1/SC22 N2842

Circulation Date:  1998-11-30

                         LETTER BALLOT

FROM THE MEMBER BODY OF _____________________________

On WG20 Request for Category C Liaision with the Unicode Consortium.

This Letter Ballot is to be returned by each "P" Member Body to the
Secretariat of JTC 1/SC22 by MARCH 8, 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------

_____  We aspprove the Request for forwarding to ISO/IEC JTC 1

                             or

_____  We approve the Request for forwarding to ISO/IEC JTC 1 with the
       attached comments

                             or

_____  We do not agree that this Request be forwarded to ISO/IEC JTC 1 for
       the technical reasons attached to this ballot

                             or

_____  We abstain from voting

("P" MEMBER BODIES HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO VOTE)

*   CHECK WHICHEVER APPLIES.

From ______________________________

Signature (if mailed) _____________     Date:  ______________________

____________ end of letter ballot; beginning of statement ___________

         LIAISON BETWEEN THE UNICODE CONSORTIUM AND SC22/WG20 
          STATEMENT OF MUTUAL BENEFITS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

This statement is in support of a type C-Liaison between JTC 1/SC22/WG20
and the Unicode Consortium.

Internationalization efforts do not occur in isolation.  Almost every
standard has an international aspect.  One set of such standards are those
for coded character sets.

The character sets of the world rarely apply to a single language, and are
often used in more than one country.  All coded character set development
has an international aspect, but this has increased in the last decade.

The industry requirements for a character set to serve the global
market-place has been satisfied by ISO/IEC 10646, which is code-point
equivalent to the Unicode Standard.  The member representatives of the
Unicode Consortium are an industry expert resource for the implementation
of the world's languages and the scripts used to write them.

Benefits

The Unicode Standard specifies not only the coding of characters, but also
their properties and many other aspects of their use in implementations.
The Unicode Consortium also develops algorithms and gives advice regarding
culturally-dependent processing areas such as bi-directional text layout
and the ordering of strings.  These are main parts of the scope of
SC22/WG20.  SC22/WG20 would benefit from having a clear liaison line from
the Unicode Consortium that would assist in the communication of
developments by the Unicode Consortium that have a bearing on the work of
SC22/WG20.

Conversly, SC22/WG20 develops international standards regarding
internationalization.  Since the Unicode Consortium has a clear interest
in such standards, it would benefit by having a liaison line from
SC22/WG20 reporting on the progress in such standards development.

Responsibilities:

The two organizations will exchange information and contributions to
common interest work on a regular basis.  Whenever possible, they will
send representatives to each others meetings.

Approved:  SC22/WG20

Approved:  Unicode Consortium

__________________ end of SC22 N2842 ________________________________