Subject: SC22 N2839 - Comments Disposition on DIS 14519 - POSIX Ada Interfaces - Realtime Extensions

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:35:38 -0500 (EST)

________________ beginning of title page ________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2839

TITLE: 
Disposition of Comments Report for ISO/IEC DIS 14519: Information
technology - POSIX Ada Language Interfaces - Binding for System
Application Program Interface (API) - Realtime Extensions (Revision of
ISO/IEC 14519-1:1994) - Fast-track Process

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-11-06

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.21.04.02

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2684

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

______________ end of title page; beginning of report ___________________

   Disposition of Comments Report for ISO/IEC DIS 14519 - Information
     technology - POSIX Ada Language Interfaces - Binding for System
        Application Program Interface (API) - Realtime Extensions 
                  (Revision of ISO/IEC 14519-1:1994)

Four comments were received, and are recorded below, together with
the disposition.

Comment from France:

| AFNOR votes NO to ISO/IEC DIS 14519.
| AFNOR will reverse its vote if the comment on the French title is
| adopted.

| Proposed change:
| Change the French title for the following:
|
| Technologies de l'Information - Interfaces POSIX pour le language
| Ada - Couplage avec l'Interface de programmation syste\me (API) -
| Extensions temps r/eel.

Disposition:

This change is accepted in principle.  However, in view of the
proposed change to the English title (below) to reflect the fact
that the document contains more than the real-time extensions, a
representative of AFNOR was invited to make a corresponding change
to the proposed French title.  The result is the following, which
we propose to use:

"Technologies de l'Information - Interfaces POSIX pour le language
Ada - Couplage avec l'Interface de programmation syste\me (API)
Incluant les extensions temps re/el"

Comment from the UK:

| The UK advises that the WG15/IEEE synchronization plan should be
| closely followed to ensure that the correct drafts are used.

Disposition:

The balloted DIS is identical to the final published IEEE and
ANSI standard.

Comment from the USA:

| The USNB believes that a more appropriate (English) Title for this
| document when it is published as ISO/IEC 14519 would be as follows:
|
| POSIX Ada Language Interfaces - Binding for System Application
| Interfaces (API) including Realtime Extensions.

Disposition:

This comment is accepted.  The document forwarded to ITTF for
publication will contain the text of the IEEE/ANSI Standard, with
the title modified as above.

Comment from Canada:

| On Ada bindings, no, as this does not meet our international
| requirements.  It incorporates rather than references another
| existing standard ("thick" binding vs. "thin" binding) without
| demonstrating how synchronization is to be maintained, and it
| lacks market relevance.)

Disposition: 

This comment does not permit any resolution. However, the
following responses are provided for the record.

Regarding Canada's international requirements: since those are not
stated no response is possible.

Regarding the thick vs. thin binding issue: that was settled long
before this revision, in 1994, when the original 14519 was
approved; the issue was debated extensively within ISO WG15 and
IEEE PASC balloting group, and there was a persistent strong
consensus for the thick binding approach; this consensus was later
strengthened by the lack of progress on POSIX language-independent
specifications.  

Regarding synchronization: how the standard will be maintained is
well demonstrated by the existence of the current revision, which
brings the Ada binding fully into synchronization with the
ISO-approved C-language bindings for POSIX, and by the POSIX.5c
standard which is in IEEE ballot.

Regarding market relevance: the Ada market is small, but
persistent; the portability and reliability that come from strong
standardization are among Ada's selling points to that market;
even in Canada, Ada and POSIX are reputed to be used together for
air traffic control.

____________________ end of SC22 N2839 _______________________________