Subject: Document SC22 N2189

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 17:17:03 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2189

June 1996

TITLE:              JTC 1 Proposed Marketing Plan

SOURCE:             Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:          N/A

STATUS:             N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:    N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:      N/A

ACTION:             To SC22 Member Bodies for action or information, as
                    applicable.

                    Since it is not possible to provide an SC22 contri-
                    bution in the limited time available for responding
                    to this JTC 1 request, SC22 Member Body comments
                    should be submitted through their respective
	            National Body.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]
____________________________________________________________________________

From: LISA RAJCHEL <[email-masked]>
Subject: Proposed Marketing Plan

Hi Everyone,

It appears that my previous transmission of this document did not reach all 
of you so here it is again.

At long last, attached please find document JTC 1 N 4127,  Contribution from 
the Netherlands on a proposed JTC 1 Marketing Plan.  National Body and SC 
contributions are requested on this document as soon as possible but not 
later than 12 July 1996.  PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS VIA EMAIL OR DISK
SO THAT THEY MAY BE DISTRIBUTED VIA EMAIL.
____________________________________________________________________________  

TITLE : Proposed JTC1 MARKETING PLAN

SOURCE : NNI, The Netherlands

The task:

 ... creation of JTC1 marketing documentation to increase the public 
awareness of JTC1 and its relevance to the ICT (information and 
communications technologies) industry.  The marketing documentation should 
be targeted at individuals inside and outside the standards process (e.g. 
use of trade press should be emphasised). 

Introduction

The objective of JTC1 is to produce high quality, consensus-based standards 
enabling the availability of interoperable ICT products and services. In 
order to better promote these standards, the public awareness of JTC1 and 
its relevance to the ICT industry need to be promoted. This document gives 
the basis for a JTC1 marketing plan.

The target audience for the marketing message can be subdivided into four 
categories, each of which needs a different marketing approach:

1    Public at large, eg. consumers, retailers, etc. This group is not 
interested in the nature or contents of standards, but only in the fact that 
a product is built according to certain well-founded and generally accepted 
specifications (the `Intel inside  effect).
     
2    The community which should be aware of the relevance of standards, in 
relation to the products and services, eg., offered to ICT vendors, 
implementors, and procurers.
     
3    The community which has an interest in creating and shaping markets 
through its influence on standards, eg. industry and consumer organizations.
     
4    The standards community, eg. technical development groups and 
standardization bodies.

Note that this document is based on a number of implicit assumptions on the 
re-engineering of JTC1. As soon as more details of this process are known, 
it will be necessary to check this plan against the new situation in order 
to ensure a complementary approach.

 The audiences

The public at large has no preconceived ideas about international standards, 
so the message is not one of a relaunch (to sell faster, better, more 
appropriate standards), but rather one of awareness (using examples that 
ordinary people can relate to).  This can be approached through information 
dissemination in a layman style (booklets, TV ads, etc.), explaining the 
importance of international standards and the pivotal role of JTC1 as the 
helmsman.  (Note: the name JTC1 must never be used in these circles - it 
smacks of bureaucracy and elitism - and besides, it doesn t mean anything.)

However, the more difficult approach to take with this audience, but one 
which will ultimately be much more effective, is to have the results of JTC1 
visible: the audience should not even think of the process, but should 
simply recognize the JTC1 brand name and know subconsciously that the 
product/service is then synonymous with quality, reliability, etc. - ie., it 
works.  The details of how this was achieved or indeed who achieved it are 
irrelevant.  This would require, among others, products evidencing the 
standard, the brand name flashed on PC screens in support of particular 
software, on TV commercials alongside appropriate products and, of course, 
in corporate sponsorship of events.

(One of the background papers makes an analogy to the Olympic games - 
remember the high moral tone of that event has now given way to the reality 
of advertising and corporate sponsorship to keep the ideal alive and  in the 
black .  Perhaps, we could even envisage a runner sponsoring  International 
ICT standards - bringing the world together !!!)

In short, therefore, there is only one message for this audience, as it can 
hardly distinguish between JTC1, its standards and the products based on the 
standards.

The community which should be aware of the relevance of standards needs more 
facts and figures than the public at large - it is an absorber of 
information.  It knows something of the current situation, and has to be 
informed of two things; firstly, the criticality of international standards, 
and secondly, why JTC1 is absolutely the best place to get them from.  This 
audience could range from the curious to the cynical - it knows the tricks 
of brand names and corporate image.

The organisations and industries forming the community which should 
contribute to the standards must be convinced that they can benefit from 
their influence on the standards by reducing their time-to-market, by 
promoting their own technology or by showing their influence on products and 
markets to their own constituencies. This community must also be convinced 
that it is more effective to allocate resources for the work in JTC1 than to 
start yet another consortium - ie., JTC1 is the only club worth belonging 
to.  For them, it is important that they will meet with other important 
players in their market and that the process of JTC1 meets their needs of 
speed, quality and global recognition.  They need to want to share the 
glory.

 The above two communities represent two sides of the same coin, ie., the 
users who benefit from the results and the users prepared to contribute to 
the process.  They are probably best convinced by proof - examples of 
implementations, working practices that are explained in terms of the time 
saved, the benefits to global business and consequently the profits.  The 
ubiquitous bits of printed material could be produced, but really this 
message demands the weight of a team of technical salesmen who can be 
present at all conferences and exhibitions world-wide for a dedicated period 
of a year or so to meet face-to-face with relevant parts of this audience. 
 We are talking about convincing hard-bitten IT vendors, or SMEs with little 
spare cash, for example.

The launch of this approach would be a show-case event organised for 
(probably not by) JTC1, which dedicates part of its time to explaining 
JTC1 s new approach and the rest to  real live  examples, probably 
incorporating a major exhibition.  It would not be a political event - such 
a display of bureaucracy would kill any idea of a new-style organisation. 
 Other initiatives would take place at the same time.  See, for instance, 
the Millennium-3 project proposal below.

Other approaches which could be investigated include a Web-based information 
centre demonstrating proof (again) of who is using what and how.  The 
help-desk idea for JTC1 itself probably falls here, together with all the 
other whimsical marketing ideas sprinkled through the background papers.

Further, JTC1 needs to be convincing and offer proof in its own working 
methods that it  takes its own medicine .  This is essential for both the 
publicity and the recruitment messages.

In summary, we sell the messages to these two audience by looking for a 
reoriented image of JTC1 to be promoted through meeting the user 
requirements.

Lastly, the standards community.  This is the hardest group, because change 
for those most deeply entrenched is always difficult, yet we need this group 
to enthuse about and live the new approach first in order to be convincing 
to the other audiences!  Many of its members are immune to or cool about 
 business , and probably cynical about marketing, so their conversion must 
be handled carefully to ensure they continue to participate.  Probably the 
best approach is the gradual introduction of appropriate electronic working 
methods, accompanied by practical guide books on best practice and how to 
deal with their potential customers.  They might also like a confidential 
help desk so as not to broadcast their lack of knowledge about how to deal 
with these unfamiliar aspects of their work.  In any case, it should be made 
clear to this community that they form the core of a winning team, engaged 
in relevant projects leading to worldwide recognition.

In conclusion, the message being given to this audience is the recognition 
and adoption of the messages being projected to the first three audience 
categories!

Cost

The best (and most effective) approaches which might be considered in this 
marketing plan are the most expensive. There were already a number of 
comments in the background papers on cost.  However, either JTC1 is serious 
about its image and the effectiveness of its outputs, in which case a 
substantial proportion of its resources need to be dedicated to the 
marketing effort, or it is simply paying lip service.  If it is not prepared 
to take its future seriously, then why should the rest of the world?

Recommendations for initial actions
     
1.   Create the position of a central marketing co-ordinator - although the 
actions will be distributed, the whole plan will need "masterminding" and 
phasing, probably by one person.
     
2.   Build a budget requirement.
     
3.   Carry out basic image design (logo, company personality, slogans, 
colours, etc.).
     
4.   Create a detailed marketing plan with timetabled schedule for 
a)awareness campaign for first audience category, b)publicity/recruitment 
campaign for second and third audience categories, and c) an education 
programme for fourth audience category.
     
5.   Make moves to rejuvenate JTC1 and progress internally a) on a practical 
basis, by use of electronic means for daily work, b) in a supportive mode, 
by teaching members about the new approach and how to interpret that in 
their daily work, and c) by investigating the investment in equipment and 
resources necessary to make a) and b) work.
     
6.   Launch specific research unit to build up evidence of standards in use 
 - good working examples of implementations where business has benefited and 
profits soared!  We need proof.
     
7.   Create the first basic literature to get things off the ground - an 
introduction to JTC1, how it works, its goals, etc.
     
These would be just the first simple actions - clearly, there will be a need 
for market research, feedback mechanisms, etc., in the future - quite aside 
from carrying out the actual marketing actions which the plan identifies.

  The Millennium-3 Project 

It is proposed to create a new project with a catchy name under which a 
number of marketing activities can be carried out. The overall purpose of 
the project is to promote JTC1 standards and activities by creating a new 
market image and brand name for JTC1 and its products in preparation for the 
next millennium.
     
     The name  Millennium-3  is proposed.  It has the advantages of weight 
and authority, whilst being modern, cannot be contracted and looks forward. 
 It offers interesting possibilities for logo and slogan design.  Note 
though that, whilst internally it is the marketing project which has this 
code name, Millennium-3 to external audiences is JTC1 and its products.
     
     The launch phase of the project could consist of a number of specific 
promotional actions marking the successful completion of the JTC1 
reengineering process, and demonstrating JTC1 s added value for the ICT 
community in the next millennium, such as:
     
?    the launch of the Millennium-3 logo (to be visible on standards and 
documents, products that conform to the standards, in WWW pages, etc.) and 
the introduction of Millennium-3 as a brand name.
     
?    the invitation of a number of key players to join Millennium-3. 
 Announcements ( Microsoft joins Millennium-3 ) would be made in the press.
     
?    the encouragement of industry to use the logo (where appropriate) for 
products that conform to Millennium-3 standards ( ... with Millennium-3 
guaranteed communication ).

     Conclusion
     
     This paper describes the usual process of creating a marketing plan by 
identifying objectives, audiences and messages.  It provides a first attempt 
at elaborating on the marketing approach most applicable to each of the 
target audiences and outlining the first steps for setting up the marketing 
campaign.  Finally, it highlights a vehicle through which actions for a 
launch initiative could be co-ordinated and offers a brand name for the new 
JTC1 and its products.

-----------------------------end of document SC22 N2189 _________________