Subject: SC22 N2826 - Draft Agenda for JSG October 1998 Meeting

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 18:41:37 -0400 (EDT)

_____________________ beginning of title page ____________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2826

TITLE:
Venue Information and Draft Agenda for SC22/JSG Meeting on October 26-27,
1998 in Tokyo, Japan

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-10-06

SOURCE
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Venue Information and Draft Agenda

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______________ end of title page; beginning of agenda ________________

                 Draft Agenda nd Venue Information for
     Java Study Group Meeting, October 26-27, 1998, Tokyo, Japan

This summarizes current planning (as of October 6, 1998) for the
upcoming Java Study Group meeting in Tokyo, Japan, Monday and Tuesday,
October 26-27, 1998. I am still open to and expecting input about the
agenda. The Java Study Group web site

http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/jsg

has an archive of previous messages. Prospective attendees and others
interested in the work of the Java Study Group should subscribe to the
mailing list as described at the web page.

For this meeting, see particularly the site:

http://osiris.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/jsg/docs/jap98.htm

So far I have received delegate lists from Japan and the US; regrets from
UK, Netherlands, and Australia.  What about other countries?

Bob Mathis, Convener ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 Java Study Group
[email-masked]

AGENDA INFORMATION

Probable Agenda Items (are there any comments, additions, ordering,
emphasis?)

1. Closer liaison with PAS Submitter (Sun Microsystems)

2. Handling of Fully Internationalized Character Code - Support of entire
repertoire of ISO/IEC 10646

3. Java standard (family) subsetting/profiling

4. Conformance of Java standards - such as Multiple levels of conformance

5. Handling of/adapting to Embedded Systems

6. Realtime (Extension)

7. Java API subsetting

8. Encoder converter API - the converter esp. for character code should be
open to users

9. Language extension such as parameterized types, operator overloading,
enumerated types

10. Java platform and environment - relating to conformance, standard
subsetting/profiling

11. External language interface such as Fortran, Cobol, C, C++, Ada95
(where the interface might be at the byte code level or at the native code
level)

12. Handling of Number - Expression, Operation, Data-type

13. Native Compilation (Salil Pradhan, HP, USA)

14. JTRON (Java on TRON)

15. Floating Point Computation (Sun's proposed changes and other work)
(Roger Golliver and others)

16. Possible changes to the PAS process being discussed by JTC1

17. Relationship to other distributed computing standards - CORBA, COM,
WWW, and so forth

Also, Dr. Komachi who chairs a committee (entitled "Fast Web No. 3") of
Japan Standard Association will announce that they would like to publish
some of the papers presented at the meeting as JIS (Japan Industrial
Standard) TRs. Please note that the authors and/or companies must abandon
their copyrights in order to publish materials as JIS TR.

MEETING ARRANGEMENTS

Information on the Third ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/Java Study Group Meeting

1998-10-26(Monday)/27(Tuesday), Tokyo, Japan

1. Meeting Host
Host Organization: Japanese Industrial Standards Committee (JISC)
Meeting Secretariat: Information Processing Society of Japan/Information
Technology Standards Commission of Japan (IPSJ/ITSCJ)
Meeting Secretary: Ms. Tomomi Haruhana
Address: Kikai-Shinko Kaikan Bldg., 3-5-8, Shiba-koen, Minato-ku, Tokyo
105, Japan
TEL:+ 81 3 3431 2808, TELEFAX: + 81 3 3431 6493, E-mail:
[email-masked]

2. Meeting Secretariat Office
Room Number: 308-3 on the 3rd floor, Kikai-Shinko-Kaikan Bldg.
Extension Numbers from the meeting rooms: 341 or 349

3. Location of Meeting Place
Room 66 of 6th floor, Kikai-Shinko Kaikan Bldg. 3-5-8, Shiba-koen,
Minato-ku, Tokyo 105, Japan
Map in Japanese: http://www.techno-con.co.jp/seminar/map/t_kikai.html
Map in English: http://osiris.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/jsg/docs/Kikaimap.jpg

4. Meeting Schedule (tentative) at Room 66

1998-10-26(Monday) 9am-5pm: Day 1
5:30pm-7pm: Reception (Room is available until 9pm)
(reception on 10/26 is just a drink and snacks, but no charges will be
requested)

1998-10-27(Tuesday) 9am-5pm: Day 2

5. Hotel Information
Block booking (around 30 rooms) are reserved at Shiba Park Hotel which is
located 10 minutes walk to the meeting location. Discount rate can be
extended before/after the meeting. Modem connection is told to be available
from the room. No European style 220V electricity connector is available in
the room.
Shiba Park Hotel, Please refer "JTC1/SC22/Java SG" to get the following
discount rate:
Single room: 14,500yen, Double 22,000yen. Tax and Service-fee included.
Address: 1-5-10, Shiba-koen, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0011, Japan
Tel. +81-3-3433-4141, Fax. +81-3-5470-7519

Hotel reservation form is available at
http://osiris.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/jsg/docs/parkh.jpg

Hotel area map: http://osiris.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/jsg/docs/parkh.jpg

Directions to Shiba Park Hotel from Narita Airport

There are four choices of transportation which are available at the Narita
New Tokyo Airport. 

Direct Airport Shuttle Bus service which commuting to the hotel is
available. Reservation can be made upon arrival at the Airport Shuttle Bus
counter of the Airport arrival hall. Ticket is 2,900Yen per person. The
time table is available on the JSG web site or at the airport. (The journey
from the airport to the hotel is approximately 2 hours)

Japan Railway Narita Express service is also available from the airport to
Tokyo station at the fare of 2,940Yen per person. Ticket can be purchased
at Japan Railway ticketing counter which is located on basement floor of
the airport. For taxi fare from Tokyo station to our hotel is approximately
1,500Yen.

Airport Limousine Bus service is also available to Tokyo City Air Terminal
which is 20 minutes taxi distance from our hotel. There is also a service
to Tokyo Prince Hotel which is 5 minutes taxi distance away from us. Bus
tickets can be purchased at arrival hall of the airport at the fare of
2,900Yen and 3,000Yen per person respectively.

A fourth cheaper yet quite convenient way of travelling between Narita
Airport and Shiba park hotel: At Narita airport buy a combined ticket for
Keisei line and the Tokyo underground to Daimon station. It is about 1300
yen. Take the Keisei line Limited Express to Aoto station (bound for Ueno,
their terminal), change at Aoto for Toei Subway (on the same track) to the
underground going to Daimon station on the Toei Asukusa line - get off at
Daimon station and walk 100 meters to the Shiba Park hotel (see map).
Approximate travelling time airport-hotel is 2 h 15 min. Note: all stations
on this route is marked with sign in Latin script, and there is messages in
English in the Keisei train.

__________________________ end of SC22 N2826 __________________________