Subject: SC22 N2820 - Disposition of Comments Report for DIS 11756 - Programming Language M

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:22:02 -0400 (EDT)

_____________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2820

TITLE:
Disposition of Comments Report for DIS 11756 - Information technology -
Programming Languages - Programming Language M (Revision of ISO/IEC IS
11756:1992) (Fast-track Process)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-09-23

SOURCE
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.44

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2682

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________ end of title page; beginning of report ___________________

                   Disposition of Comments Report for 
       DIS 11756, Information Technology, Programming Language, M

ISO/IEC DIS 11756 Norwegian Comments

Variable $REFERENCE is referenced but not defined, as described in the
Foreword.  This must be fixed.

The MDC accepts this comment and notes that the next iteration of the M
standard (not this document) will include the definition of $REFERENCE.
The definition is available now from the MUMPS Development Committee, as
document X11/93-39 ($REFERENCE) and has already been incorporated into
Section 7.1.4.10.13 of the revised Draft Standard (version 13, MDC
Document X11/TG6/98-1) which will become the next iteration of this ISO
standard.

Reference and use of other ANSI standards should be changed to ISO
standards where appropriate.

The MDC accepts this comment and will make every effort to reference
International Standards when they are available at the time standards are
prepared in their final form.  

Typography in the standard must be fixed.

The MDC accepts this comment without complete understanding of where the
typographic problems are located.  Editorial changes to this DIS will be
made as typographic problems are identified.  The document editors for
future standards will be directed to ensure that all appropriate
typographic requirements for international standards are met.

Charset M should be ISO Latin-1 since charsets ASCII and JIS is already
defined, and since this is intended to be an international standard.

The MDC rejects this comment. In particular, the MDC rejects that charset
M (specifically) should be equivalent to or based on ISO Latin-1.  The M
charset, which differs from the ASCII charset solely in the collation
used, is required to describe the historical behavior of M routines.  The
MDC firmly agrees that ISO Latin-1 is a desirable charset.  It has been
included in the next iteration of the standard (MDC Document X11/TG6/98-1,
available from the MDC Secretariat) as charset ISO-8859-USA (STRING
collation) and charset ISO-8859-1-USA/M (M collation).

Index must be updated, as well as some tables, lists and page breaks.

The MDC accepts this comment.  Every effort will be made to ensure that
all tables and lists conform to appropriate international conventions and
styles in this and subsequent standards.   Furthermore, every effort will
be made to ensure that page numbers and page breaks are consistently and
correctly rendered by all electronic formats used in the distribution of
this and subsequent standards. 

Information about when this standard was accepted as an ANSI standard is
not included.  Does the standard meet the requirements to be posted as a
FAST-TRACK procedure?

The MDC accepts this comment.  The standard received approval from ANSI
on December 8, 1995.  This information is provided on the title page of
the ANSI/MDC standard document.  The MDC believes that all FAST-TRACK
posting requirements were met pursuant to ANSI submission of the standard
to ISO for FAST-TRACK consideration.

ISO/IEC DIS 11756 Polish Comments

Fix the alignment of the first two paragraphs on page iv.

The MDC accepts this comment.  We believe that paragraph alignment has
been properly formatted in future standards and the formatting will be
fixed as an editorial change.

Fill out the date in line 11 on page v.

The MDC accepts this comment without being certain of which date is in
question.  Every effort will be made to ensure that all dates and other
"blanks" are properly completed in this and subsequent standards.

Conventional text style should be used in the list of contents.

The MDC accepts this comment.  Every effort will be made to ensure that
all tables and lists conform to appropriate international conventions and
styles in this and subsequent standards.

Page numbering in the list of contents are inconsistent with the rest of
the document.

The MDC accepts this comment.  Every effort will be made to ensure that
page numbers and page breaks are consistently and correctly rendered by
all electronic formats used in the distribution of this and subsequent
standards.

Table on the pages 98 and 99 can fit on one page.

The MDC accepts this comment.  Every effort will be made to ensure that
page numbers and page breaks are consistently and correctly rendered by
all electronic formats used in the distribution of this and subsequent
standards.

Blank pages (103-105) should be removed.

The MDC accepts this comment.  Every effort will be made to ensure that
page numbers and page breaks are consistently and correctly rendered by
all electronic formats used in the distribution of this and subsequent
standards.

Page numbers in the Index are inconsistent with the document.

The MDC accepts this comment.  Every effort will be made to ensure that
page numbers and page breaks are consistently and correctly rendered by
all electronic formats used in the distribution of this and subsequent
standards.

__________________ end of SC22 N2820 __________________________________