Subject: SC22 N2819 - Request to Make IS 11404 Publicly Available - ACCELLERATED LETTER BALLOT

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 17:29:17 -0400 (EDT)

_________________________- beginning of title page ___________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2819

TITLE:
Request to ISO/IEC JTC 1 to Make ISO/IEC 11404:1996 Publicly Available -
ACCELLERATED LETTER BALLOT

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-09-18

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
SC22 Letter Ballot

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
SC22/WG11 has requested that action on this request take place at the
January 1999 ISO/IEC JTC 1 Meeting.  It is necessary that an accellerated
SC22 letter ballot be issued to obtain SC22 approval in advance of that
meeting and in time to meet the previously established cut-off date for
distribution of JTC 1 documents for that meeting.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
ACT

DUE DATE:
1998-12-15

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________________ end of title page; beginning of letter ballot ______

Attachment to
JTC 1/SC22 N2819

Circulation Date: 1998-09-18

                           LETTER BALLOT

FROM THE MEMBER BODY OF _______________________________________

On WG11 Request to Make ISO/IEC 11404:1996 Publicly Available Using the
Justificiation Contained in Document SC22 N2819

This Letter Ballot is to be returned by each "P" Member Body to the
Secretariat of JTC 1/SC22 by DECEMBER 15, 1998.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_____  We approve this Request for forwarding to ISO/IEC JTC 1

                    or

_____  We approve this Request for forwarding to ISO/IEC JTC 1 with the
       attached comments

                    or

_____  We do not agree that this Request be forwarded to ISO/IEC JTC 1 for
       the technical reasons attached to this ballot

                    or

_____  We abstain from voting

("P" Members have an obligation to vote.)

*  PLACE AN "x" ON APPLICABLE LINE.

Name ____________________________________

Signature (if mailed) ____________________    Date:  ___________

_____________ end of letter ballot; beginning of justification _______

Justification to Make ISO/IEC 11404:1996 - Language Independent
                      Datatypes Publicly Available.

SC32 (Data Management and Interchange) has approved a Study Period
which will become a New Work Item Request for ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32/WG2
on "XML Representation for Data Registry Metadata Exchange."

Work is under way on this project for the Study Period and SC32 has
designated a liaison with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C),
whose XML-Schema Working Group is working on datatypes for XML.
SC32 will need to collaborate closely on this project with members
of W3C -- particularly participants in its newly reconstituted XML
activity and XML-Schema Working Group.

It is the intention of SC32 that ISO/IEC 11404 is used as a starting
point for XML's own datatype recommendations, but this can only be
done if participants in the W3C activity can easily access
ISO/IEC 11404 via the web. Sharing the ISO/IEC 11404 standard 
with W3C participants is a necessary part of this SC32/WG2
standards development activity because our project will require XML
Datatypes as an important component for Data Registry Metadata
Exchange.

_________________________ end of SC22 N2819 ____________________________