Subject: SC22 N2812 - Disposition of Comments Report for DIS 15897

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:06:40 -0400 (EDT)

__________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2812

TITLE:
Disposition of Comments Report for DIS 15897 - Information technology -
Procedures for European Registration of Cultural Elements (Fast-track
Process)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-09-02

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.15897

STATUS:
Please note that, as part of the Disposition of Comments, the title of the
DIS was changed to:  "Procedures for Registration of Cultural Elements".

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2717, N2811

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______________ end of title page; beginning of report ___________________

     Disposition of comments on ISO/IEC DIS 15897, "Information
        Technology - Procedures for European registration of
                       cultural elements."

This Disposition of Comments was approved by the Ballot Resolution Group
for DIS 15897 held on 26-27 August 1998.

The table of replies is recorded in SC22 N2717.

Disposition of comments:

Canada:

To make this European Prestandard an International Standard the following
changes will be  made: The word "European" will be removed thruout the
standard where appropiate and references to CEN will be changed to
ISO/IEC. CEN terminology such as "Prestandard" will be changed to
"International Standard" thruout the standard. The foreword and
introduction will be replaced by text from ISO/CS, and editorial comments
from ISO/CS will be accomodated.  An annex describing the changes from the
CEN ENV will be added to the standard.

The detailed editing will be:

The word "Prestandard" will be changed to "International Standard".

The word "European" will be removed from the title.

In clause 4 the text "The Technical Board of CEN has designated as
Registration Authority of this Prestandard:" will be changed to:
The ISO and IEC councils shall designate a Registration
Authority for this International Standard. The initial Registration
Authority is designated to be:"

The audience in subclause d) is changed from
"CEN member bodies, Associated member bodies and Liaisons of
the committee" to "ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 members and liaisons" 

The audience in subclause h) is changed from
"CEN member bodies, Associated member bodies and Liaisons"
to "ISO/IEC JTC1 members and liaisons" 

In clause 5 subclause b) is changed to "ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22
for proposals related to wider regions."

In clause 7.2, replace "CEN Technical Committee". with JTC 1 subcommittee

In clause 7.4, replace the first "CEN Technical Committee" with JTC 1
subcommittee, replace the second "CEN" with "its", and remove the last
subsentence after the last comma.

in C.3 change  "CEN ENV" to "ISO/IEC 15897"

Denmark:

Accepted.
See response to Canada.

The fax number in clause 4 will be changed to +45 3920-8948

Finland:

FI-1: It is expected that the standard will be revised, to accomodate
amongst other issues new standards like ISO/IEC 14651 and 14652.

FI-2: Accepted, see response to Canada.

Ireland:

IE-1: Accepted in principle, see response to Canada. 
IE-2: Accepted.

Japan

The registry standard does register beyond the current X/Open registry the
items: Narrative Cultural Specifications, POSIX carmaps and
repertoiremaps. The standard also adds normative referencing to this,
and the data is freely available on the Internet. This standard, the CEN
and DS standards are technically equivalent, and appoints the same
registration autorithy so they can be seen as unified. The X/Open registry
contains only a subset of the items, and is not a dejure registry.

JP-1: Not accepted. The X/Open registry contains
only a subset of the items, and is not a dejure registry. 

JP-2: Accepted in principle. The technical content of this standard, the
CEN and DS standards  (and other implementations of the standard in CE
member countries) are the same, and thus unified.

JP-3: Accepted in principle. There is a plan for revision of the
standard, to incorporate registration of ISO/IEC 14652 items, and possibly
other items. (alternatively: there is currently no plan for revision of
this standard, alternatively: CEN is preparing a revision).

JP-4: Accepted in principle. The proposal has been reviewed by the
JTC 1 registry rapporteur group and they had no specific comments. 

JP-5: Accepted in principle. See response to Canada.

JP-6: Accepted in principle. A registration authority has been assigned
by ISO/IEC JTC 1.

The Netherlands:

NL-1: The Netherlands position could not be resolved since the Netherlands 
continues to object to the procedures used to adopt this standard.

Sweden:

SE-1. Accepted. See response to Canada.

SE-2: Not accepted. The mandatory language of English is only required
for the narrative cultural specifications. There is no need to further
specify this.

SE-3: Not accepted. The annexes follow a logical reading, where related
anexes are adjacant. In annex E the informative text is examples which are
informative anyway according to JTC 1 rules, and it is beneficial for the
reader of the standard that examples are adjacant to the normative text½

SE-4: Accepted. 6.11 changed to 6.8

SE-5: Accepted in principle. More explanations is planned to occur
at the web site of the registry, and also in ISO/IEC 14766.

UK

UK-1 & 2: The United Kingdom position could not be resolved since the UK
continues to object to the procedures used to adopt this standard and to 
the implications of the likely immediate revision of the CEN standard.

USA

US-1: Accepted in principle. See response to Canada. As an international
standard the specification carries more weight.

US-2: This comment could not be resolved since the United States
continues to believe that the standard should have applicability broader
than the POSIX environment.

US-3: The narrative specification is a freeform specification, and
specific rules are because of that nature not relevant. Further
guidelines may be developed in a future revision of the standard, when
more experience have been gained. For now, the standard does allow the
member bodies to specify what they want. As such, license plate formats,
postal code formats and former country associations may be entered. It is
not needed to recast information into POSIX syntax to register for example
IBM NLS information. The POSIX information is optional.

US-4: Not accepted. The reorder-after construct is necessary in this
standard, as it facilitates the registration procedure, and it is not
normatively specified anywhere else.

RECONSIDERATION OF BALLOT POSITIONS

In view of the above, the National Bodies of Canada and Ireland changed
their ballots to positive votes.  The National Bodies of Japan,
Netherlands, United Kingdom and the United States retained their negative
votes.  Sweden was not present and its negative vote stands.  The final
result is a total of five negative votes. The DIS ballot therefore passes.

The project will be assigned to SC22/WG20 and SC22 is requested to
instruct WG20 to take the comments in N2717 and the above responses into
account when maintaining the standard.

_____________________ end of SC22 N2812 _______________________________