Subject: SC22 N2811 - Report of Convener, Resolution of Comments Meeting on , DIS 15897

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:55:08 -0400 (EDT)

______________________ beginning of title page ___________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2811

TITLE:
Report of the Convener, Resolution of Comments Meeting on DIS 15897 -
Information technology - Procedures for European Registation of Cultural
Elements (Fast-track Process)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-09-02

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.15897

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2717, N2812

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________________ end of title page; beginning of report _________

                            Convener's Report
                      Resolution of Comments Meeting
                           Fast-track DIS 15897
                             26-27 August 1998

Introduction

The Ballot Resolution meeting for DIS 15897, Procedures for European
Registration of Cultural  Elements, was held on Wednesday and Thursday,
26-27 August 1998, at Snekkersten, Denmark, during the plenary meeting of
Subcommittee 22.  The National Bodies of Canada,  Denmark, Japan, the
Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States were in attendance.
Ireland was represented by a proxy held by Canada. Present during
portions of the meeting were the National Bodies of Finland, France and
Germany.  The Project Editor, Keld Simonsen, was also present.

The ITTF Table of Replies is in document SC22 N2717.  Seven National
Bodies voted to disapprove the DIS, resulting in initial disapproval of
the document.  These NBs were Canada, Ireland, Japan, the Netherlands,
Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States.  All except Sweden
participated in the ballot resolution meeting.  Sweden was notified of the
meeting but did not send a representative.  

Comment Resolution

A draft Disposition of Comments Report was prepared in advance by the
project editor and distributed to the participants in the meeting.  The
comments in N2717 from each National Body were reviewed and discussed,
along with the text of the draft disposition of comments.  A new 
Disposition of Comments Report was prepared and agreed upon.  

A principal issue in several NB comments concerned the European nature of
the document (due to the fact that it originated in CEN).  It was felt
that this was inappropriate for an International Standard.  The draft DIS
was reviewed in detail and all items of text specifically relating to 
Europe and CEN were modified to refer to the appropriate international
counterparts.  The word "European" was removed from the title of the
standard.  These changes are covered in detail in the Disposition of
Comments Report.

Reconsideration of ballot positions

In view of the changes to the DIS, the National Bodies of Canada and
Ireland changed their ballots from disapproval to approval.  The National
Bodies of Japan, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States
retained their negative votes.  Sweden was not present so its negative
vote could not change.  The final result is a total of five negative
votes.  A recalculation indicates that the DIS approval criteria has been
met and therefore the DIS ballot is approved.

Request to SC22

In anticipation of the assignment of the project to SC22/WG20,  the
ballot resolution group requested SC22 to instruct WG20 to take the
comments in N2717 and the responses in the Disposition of Comments Report
into account when maintaining the standard.

Ballot Resolution Group concerns

At the conclusion of the meeting, the Ballot Resolution Group expressed
its desire that this process not be repeated in the future.  In
particular, the group felt that the document being balloted should contain
the text as it is intended to be adopted for international use such that
the ballot resolution group is not required to make changes to
"internationalize" a more restricted document.

Robert H. Follett
Convener
DIS 15897 Ballot Resolution Group

_____________ end of SC22 N28111 ______________________________________-