Subject: SC22 N2806 - Resolutions of August 1998 SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:37:23 -0400 (EDT)

______________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2806

TITLE:
Resolutions Prepared at the Eleventh Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC
1/SC22 on August 24-27, 1998 in Snekkersten, Denmark

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-09-01

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Resolutions

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2805, N2807, N2808

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________ end of title page; beginning of resolutions _______

           Resolutions Prepared at the Eleventh Plenary Meeting of
                           ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
                          Snekkersten, Denmark
                           August 24-27, 1998

Resolution 98-1:    Approval of SC22 Work Program

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the revised Program of Work detailed in
document N2809.

Resolution 98-2:    Approval of SC22 Business Plan

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the SC22 Business Plan contained in document
N2810.

Resolution 98-3:    Electronic Commerce Standardization

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22:

Instructs WG20 to review the Business Team Report on Electronic Commerce
contained in document SC22 N2735 and to inform the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Chairman of its recommendations no later than December 7,1998;

encourages other ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Working Groups to submit any comments
to the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 Chairman by the same date; and

further authorizes its Chairman to respond to the ISO/IEC JTC 1 request
for comments contained in document SC22 N2736 on the basis of the
recommendations received.

Resolution 98-4:    Basic Hardware I/O Addressing

Recognizing that WG21 is currently studying the subject of embedded
systems, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 instructs WG21 to consider document SC22 N2767
in this study, commencing at its October 1998 meeting.

Resolution 98-5:    Terms of Reference of WG11

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the following revised Terms of Reference for
WG11:

"To study binding issues between programming languages and the abstract
facilities with which they interface or interact, and to propose, develop
and maintain ISO/IEC standards in this area."

Resolution 98-6:    Relationship Between the Work of WG21 and that of
                    WG14

Recognizing that the user communities of the C and C++   languages are
becoming increasingly divergent, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 authorizes WG21 to
carry out future revisions of ISO/IEC 14882:1998 (Programming Language  
C++) without necessarily adopting new C language features contained in the
current revision to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (Programming Language C) or any
future revisions thereof.  

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 encourages WG14 and WG21 to continue their close
cooperation in the future.

Resolution 98-7:     Disbandment of WG22 - PCTE

Recognizing that the development activities of WG22 have been completed,
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22:

a.   Authorizes the disbandment of WG22; and

b.   Expresses its appreciation to Mr. John Dawes (UK) for agreeing to
     continue as the Project Editor for the approved WG22 standards and
     for agreeing to serve as the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 focal  point on
     PCTE-related issues.

Resolution 98-8:    Extension of Java (TM) Study Group (JSG) Study Period

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 extends the study period for the Java (TM) Study Group
until the 1999 ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.  A description of the original
establishment and charter of the JSG may be found in SC22 Resolution
96-25.

Resolution 98-9:    Statement of SC7 Scope of Work

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 instructs its Secretariat to distribute the previous
and current statements of the scope of SC7 (Software Engineering) work to
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 for information.

Resolution 98-10:   Endorsement of NP for Ada: Conformity Assessment

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 endorses the New Work Item for Ada: Conformity
Assessment contained in document SC22 N2765, noting that at least five
SC22 P-members (Canada, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the USA)
have agreed to participate in this development work, and instructs the
Secretariat to forward the NP for ISO/IEC JTC 1 approval.

Resolution 98-11:   Approval of Registration of PDTR 15942

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the registration of PDTR 15942 - Information
technology - Programming languages - Guidance for the use of the Ada
programming language in high integrity systems (Type 3 Technical Report) -
Project JTC 1.22.15942.

Resolution 98-12:   Withdrawal of WG5 Project

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22:

approves the withdrawal of Project 22.02.01.03 - Interoperability Between
Fortran and C (Technical Report, Type 2) since the specification to be
included in this Technical Report is being included in the current
revision of the base Fortran standard, ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997; and

expresses its appreciation to Mr. Michael Hennecke (Germany) for his work
on the project.

Resolution 98-13:   Withdrawal of WG15 Projects

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22:

approves the withdrawal of the following WG15 projects:

     JTC 1.22.42 -  Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1:
                    System API Security Addendum

     JTC 1.22.43 -  Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 2:
                    Shell and Utility Security Addendum; and

expresses its appreciation to Mr. Casey Schaufler (USA) for his work on
these projects.

Resolution 98-14:   Changes to SC22 POSIX Profiles Project

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 notes that ISO/IEC ITTF:

a)   Has renumbered Project JTC 1.22.15287.01 and its associated
     documents to Project JTC 1.22.16469 with the same project title:
     "POSIX Supercomputing Application Environment Profile";  and

b)   Has renumbered Project JTC 1.22.15287.02 and its associated
     documents as Project JTC 1.22.15287 with the same project title:
     "POSIX Real Time Application Support Profile".

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 requests Mr. Willem Wakker, as the former Chairman of
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SGFS to discuss this action with ISO/IEC ITTF, with a view
to reversing these changes in order to allow all ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
profiles to be parts of the same International Standard, as previously
approved by ISO/IEC JTC 1.

Resolution 98-15:   Concurrent Ballots for Fortran

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 authorizes the Secretariat to conduct concurrent CD
registration and FCD approval letter ballots for Project JTC 1.22.02.02 -
Revision of ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994 - Varying Length Character Strings Module.

Resolution 98-16:   Concurrent Ballots for Ada: Conformity Assessment

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22, recognizing that a Working Draft of the specification
has been distributed to the SC22 Member Bodies for review and comment,
authorizes the Secretariat, subject to approval of the New Work Item
Proposal by ISO/IEC JTC 1,  to conduct concurrent CD registration and FCD
approval ballots for Ada: Conformity Assessment.

Resolution 98-17:   Procedures for Registration of Cultural Elements

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 assigns Project JTC 1.22.15897 (Procedures for
Registration of Cultural Elements) to WG20 and refers documents SC22 N2717
and SC22 N2812 to WG20 for consideration in maintenance of the
International Standard ISO/IEC 15897:1998, recognizing that all comments
could not be resolved by the ballot resolution meeting.

Further, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 directs WG20 to begin the maintenance work
immediately.

Resolution 98-18:   Title Change for WG20 Project

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the request of WG20 that the title of Project
JTC 1.22.30.02.03  be changed from "Specification for cultural
conventions" to "Specification method for cultural conventions".

Resolution 98-19:   Standards for Periodic Review

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22:

a.   Recommends that the following standards be confirmed:

     ISO/IEC 8485:1989    -   APL
     ISO/IEC 10967-1:1994 -   Language Independent Arithmetic - Part 1:
                              Integer and Floating Point Arithmetic

b.   Recommends that the following standards be revised:

     ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994   -  Fortran, Part 2: Varying Length Character
                              Strings
     ISO/IEC 13210-1994    -  Test Methods for Measuring Conformance to
                              POSIX

c.   Recommends that the following standards be withdrawn:

     ISO/IEC 11430:1994    -  Ada Generic Package of Elementary Functions
     ISO/IEC 11729:1994    -  Ada Generic Package of Primitive Functions
     ISO/IEC 11732:1994    -  Forms Interface Management System (FIMS)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 notes that ISO 6373:1984 - Programming Language
Minimal BASIC has already been withdrawn.

Resolution 98-20:     Retention of Projects Not Reaching CD Stage Within
                      Three Years of NP

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 notes that the projects below have exceeded the
statutory time for proceeding from NP to CD stage;

notes, however, that significant progress has been made on these
projects, and there is no reason to suppose that they will not be
completed;

having reviewed the situation in each case, accepts the explanation that
has been presented for the need for further time in the case of these
documents; and 

therefore authorizes the extension by one year of the time permitted for
proceeding from the NP to the CD stage for the following projects:

     Project JTC 1.22.09.02   - Character Repertoire for APL
     Project JTC 1 22.24.02   - Character Repertoire for Extended APL
     Project JTC 1.22.02.02   - Revision of IS 1539-2: Fortran Varying
                                Length Character String Module
     Project JTC 1.22.34      - Complex Floating Point Arithmetic and
                                Complex Elementary Numeric Functions
     Project JTC 1.22.21.01.01- POSIX System Interface (Language
                                Independent)
     Project JTC 1.22.29.02   - Vienna Development Method/Specification
                                Language, Part 2: Modules

Resolution 98-21:   Appointments/Reappointments of SC22 Working Group
                    Conveners

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the following appointments/reappointments:

     Mr. Jim Oblinger (USA) as Convener of WG15 (pending confirmation
     from the USA National Body);

     Mr. Bob Mathis (USA) as Convener of the Java (TM) Study Group until
     the 1999 ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.

Resolution 98-22:   Project Editor Appointments

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the following appointments:

     Mr. John Reid (UK) as Project Editor for Project 22.02.02 - Revision   
     of Part 2 of ISO 1539 (Fortran Varying Length Character String
     Module);

     Mr. Keld Simonsen (Denmark) as Project Editor for Project JTC
     1.22.15897 - Procedures for Registration of Cultural Elements;

     Dr. Ian Toyn (UK) as Project Editor for Project 22..45 - Z Notation;
     and

     Mr. Brian Wichmann (UK) as Project Editor for Project 22.15942 -
     Guidance for Use of Ada in High Integrity Systems.

Resolution 98-23:   Termination of Liaisons

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22:

a.   Terminates its liaison with ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC24 (Graphics), noting
     that the SC22 work which was of primary interest to SC22 has been
     completed; and

b.   Terminates its liaison with ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC27 (Security).

Resolution 98-24:   Liaison with IFIP TC2 

ISO/IEC JTC 12/SC22 appoints Professor Katsuhiko Kakehi (Japan) as its
Liaison Officer to IFIP TC2 (Software)

Resolution 98-25:   Liaison with ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC32 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 establishes a liaison with ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC32 (Date
Management Services).

Resolution 98-26:   Appointment of Liaison Officers

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 appoints the following as its Liaison Officers to
ISO/IEC JTC 1 Subcommittees:

     Dr. Miles Ellis (UK) to SC29 (Multimedia)
     Mr. Isak Korn (Denmark) to SC7 (Software Engineering)
     Mr. Isak Korn (Denmark) to SC32 (Data Management Services)

Resolution 98-27:   Appreciation:  Mr. Regis Minot

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its gratitude and appreciation to Mr. Regis
Minot for his many contributions as the Convener of ISO/IEC JTC
1/SC22/WG22.

Resolution 98-28:   Appreciation:  Mr. Dan Frantz

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its gratitude and appreciation to Mr. Dan
Frantz not only for his contributions as the Convener of ISO/IEC JTC
1/SC22/WG18 which was responsible for the development of the International
standard for Forms Interface Management System (FIMS), but also for his
many contributions as Project Editor for that International standard.

Resolution 98-29:   Appreciation:  Mr. Jerrold Wagener

Upon the occasion of his retirement, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its
gratitude and appreciation to Mr. Jerrold Wagener (USA) for his many
invaluable contributions to the work of WG5 over the past 20 years since
the initial "Fortran Experts Group" meeting which preceded the
establishment of WG5.

Resolution 98-30:   Appreciation:  Mr. Michael Kutschke

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its gratitude and appreciation to Mr.
Michael Kutschke of DIN for his valuable and timely support to the German
Mirroring Committee NI22 and the German Delegation to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22,
and especially for his work in preparing for the 1998 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary
to be held in Berlin.

Resolution 98-31:    Appreciation:  SC22 Web Page and E-mail Reflector
                     Maintainer

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its appreciation to Mr. Keld Simonsen and
the Danish UNIX Users Group (DKUUG) for continuing to host and administer
the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 World Wide Web pages and email reflectors so
effectively.

Resolution 98-32:    Appreciation: General

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its appreciation to all those who have
assisted in the work of this meeting, and in particular:

to Tele Danmark A/S for so generously sponsoring the sumptuous dinner for
the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 delegates on Wednesday, August 26, 1998;

to Dansk Standards, the meeting host, for the outstanding organization of
the meeting, and especially to Mr. Carsten Riis Fredrikson and Mrs.
Charlotte Laursen for their cheerful help and support at all times;

to the Danish UNIX User's Group (DKUUG), and especially their chief
technician, Mr. Keld Simonsen, for setting up and maintaining the
invaluable LAN infrastructure and Internet connections in the meeting
room;

to the Drafting Committee members, Dr. Miles Ellis (Chairman), Mr.
Toshiaki Kurokawa, Mr. Jim Oblinger, and Mr. Keld Simonsen, for producing
the Resolutions in time to allow those attending the meeting to depart in
good time;

to Mr. William Rinehuls for his excellent management of the ISO/IEC JTC
1/SC22 Program of Work as the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat, and for his
unfailing good humor in adversity; and last, but by no means least,

to Mr. Robert Follett for chairing of the meeting with his usual deftness
of touch and efficiency, and for his patience in guiding the members
through the myriad procedural and other minefields associated with the
international standardization process.

All resolutions were approved unanimously except:

Canada abstained on Resolutions 98-4, 98-5, 98-6, and 98-15
Germany abstained on Resolution 98-14
Japan abstained on Resolution 98-17
Netherlands abstained on Resolution 98-17

___________________ end of SC22 N2806 _______________________________