Subject: SC22 N2805 - Minutes of SC22 August 1998 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:11:42 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2805

TITLE:  
Minutes of the Eleventh Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 on August
24-27, 1998 in Snekkersten, Denmark

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-09-01

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
SC22 Plenary Minutes

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2806, N2807, N2808

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________________ end of title page; beginning of minutes _________

                   MINUTES OF THE ELEVENTH PLENARY OF
                           ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
                          SNEKKERSTEN, DENMARK
                           August 24-27, 1998

1.   OPENING OF THE MEETING

The Chairman of JTC 1/SC22, Mr. Robert Follett, officially opened the
Eleventh Plenary of JTC 1/SC22 at 1000 hours on August 24, 1998.  Mr.
Carsten Riis Fredriksen of Danish Standards welcomed the delegates to
Snekkersten and then invited the delegates to a dinner in their honor on
Wednesday, August 26, 1998. 

2.   CHAIRMAN'S REMARKS

Mr. Follett indicated that he would discuss the meeting plans under
Agenda Item 5. and provide more extensive remarks concerning SC22 under
Agenda Item 7.1.

3.   ROLL CALL OF DELEGATES

The list of delegates in attendance at the Eleventh Plenary of JTC 1/SC22
is documented in SC22 N2807.

4.   APPOINTMENT OF DRAFTING COMMITTEE

The following delegates were appointed to the drafting committee:

          Dr. Miles Ellis (Chairman)
          Mr. Toshiaki Kurakawa
          Mr. Jim Oblinger
          Mr. Keld Simonsen

5.   ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA

The revised agenda for the meeting, contained in SC22 N2799, as revised,
was adopted.  (The final agenda for the meeting as adopted is contained in
document SC22 N2808.)

6.   REPORT OF THE SECRETARIAT

Mr. William Rinehuls, Secretariat of SC22, referred delegates to document
SC22 N2696, the Secretariat Report for this meeting, noting that there was
one new "O-member" since the last Plenary:  Estonia (SC22 N2703).
Switzerland, a previous "P-member" had withdrawn its membership (SC22
N2587) and Sweden has changed its membership category from "P-member" to
"O-member" (SC22 N2680).

He requested that all Conveners provide him with corrections and updates
to the Convener and Project Editor personnel sections of the SC22
Secretariat Report before the end of the meeting.

6.1  SC22 Project Information

Mr. Rinehuls referred delegates to document SC22 N2696, the updated SC22
Program of Work.  He requested all Conveners to provide him with
corrections and updates related to their respective projects before the
end of the meeting.

In this regard, Mr. Follett requested that all dates should be forecast
for all projects since JTC 1 wants a complete schedule.  He requested the
Drafting Committee to prepare a resolution approving the revised Program
of Work with the new projected dates.  See Resolution 98-01.

6.2  Outstanding Actions From the Tenth Plenary of SC22

The following resolutions of the Tenth Plenary were discussed:

Resolution 97-13.  It was noted that Sun had been approved as a PAS
submitter; however, no specification has been submitted yet.

Resolution 97-20.  It was noted that the Concurrent CD registration and
CD ballot for the revision of ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994 (Fortran, Part 2) have
not yet been conducted.

Resolution 97-22.  It was noted that the Concurrent PDTR Registration and
PDTR Letter Ballot for Interfacing Modula-2 to C have not yet been
conducted.

Resolution 97-23.  It was noted that the Concurrent PDTR Registration and
PDTR Letter Ballot for APIs for Internationalization have not yet been
conducted.

With the exceptions noted in the list above, the delegates agreed that
there were no action items outstanding.

6.3  JTC 1/SC22 Standing Documents

Mr. Rinehuls noted that the Standing Documents List has changed
considerably due to the approval of the Fourth Edition of the JTC 1
Procedures.  The Standing Documents List contained in document SC22 N2800
will contain these changes.

6.4  Status of SC22 Secretariat

Document SC22 N2720 is a letter from the United States indicating its
intent to retain the Secretariat of SC22, having reconsidered its previous
decision to relinquish the SC22 Secretariat based on a reassessment of the
strategic significance of SC22 to United States of America interests and
in light of the failure of any other National Body to come forward to
assume the Secretariat.  ISO/IEC JTC 1, at its last plenary, endorsed the
United States of America proposal.

7.   ACTIVITY REPORTS

7.1  Report from the Chairman

Mr. Follett referred delegates to document SC22 N2726 which contains his
report on the JTC 1 Plenary in Sendai, Japan in June 1998.  He also noted
that document SC22 N2733 contains the resolutions from that meeting.  He
noted that several of the discussion items at the JTC 1 Plenary which
related to JTC 1 direction and organization would be taken up under
Agenda Item 11.

Mr. Follett also noted that he had attended a number of other meetings on
behalf of SC22; specifically:

     a.   The JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Implementation of Information Technology on
          February 4-6, 1998 in San Diego, California, USA.  His report of
          this meeting is contained in document SC22 N2669.

     b.   The JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Procedures on February 9-12, 1998 in San
          Diego, California, USA.  This report of this meeting is also
          contained in document SC22 N2669.

7.2  National Reports

The following National activity reports were presented:

Canada         -   N2803
Denmark        -   N2802
Finland        -   N2734
France         -   N2788
Germany        -   N2782
Ireland        -   N2731
Japan          -   N2789
Netherlands    -   N2739
United Kingdom -   N2771
USA            -   N2804

The following National activity reports were provided, in the absence of
any delegation.  These reports were reviewed:

Austria        -   N2787
Czech Republic -   N2729
Norway         -   N2712

7.3  LIAISON REPORTS - EXTERNAL TO ISO/IEC JTC 1

7.3.1     CCE - Commission of the European Community

No report from CCE was received.

7.3.2     CIRF - International Institution for Production Engineering
          Research

No report from CIRF was received.

7.3.3     ECMA -  European Computer Manufacturers Association

No report from ECMA was received.  However, a report was received from
Mr. Robert Mathis in document SC22 N2757 in which he discusses the
ECMAScript ballot resolution meeting.  See also Agenda Item 11.5

7.3.4     EWICS - European Workshop on Industrial Computer Systems

No report from EWICS was received.

7.3.5     IFIP - International Federation for Information Processing

Professor Kakehi gave a verbal report on those IFIP activities dealing
with SC22-related matters.

7.3.6     ITU - International Telecommunications Union

No report from ITU was received.

7.4  REPORT OF LIAISON OFFICERS

7.4.1     Liaison Officer to SC1

No report was presented.

7.4.2     Liaison Officer to SC2

The report of activity prepared by Mr. Van Wingen is contained in
document SC22 N2801.

7.4.3     Liaison Officer to SC7

Mr. Korn agreed to provide future SC7 liaison information to SC22.  See
Resolution 98-26.

7.4.4     Liaison Officer to SC24

The report from Mr. Robert Mathis is contained in document SC22 N2756.
It was noted that Mr. Mathis requested to be relieved of this liaison
responsibility.  See Resolution 98-23.

7.4.5     Liaison Officer to SC27

No report was presented.  See Resolution 98-23.

7.4.6     Liaison Officer to SC29

The report from Mr. Robert Mathis is contained in document SC22 N2756.  It was noted that Mr.
Mathis requested to be relieved of this liaison responsibility.  Dr. Ellis agreed to serve as the SC22
liaison to SC29 until the next SC22 Plenary.  See Resolution 98-26.

7.4.7     Potential SC22 Liaisons

It was agreed that SC22 should establish liaison with SC32 and Mr. Korn
agreed to serve as this liaison.  See Resolution 98-25 and Resolution
98-26.

7.5  COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT REPORTS

7.5.1     CEN TC 304

Mr. Simonsen gave a report of  current CEN TC 304 activity.

8.   WORKING GROUP BUSINESS PLANS AND REPORTS

8.1  WG3 - APL

The report of activity, prepared by Dr. Dickey, Convener of WG3, is
contained in document SC22 N2777.  It was the sense of SC22 that SC22
would seriously consider cancellation of Projects JTC 1.22.09.02 and JTC
1.22.24.02 at the 1999 SC22 Plenary if they had not advanced to the CD
stage by that time.

8.2  WG4 - COBOL

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Ms. Wallace,
Convener of WG4, is contained in document N2775.  Ms. Wallace presented
this report.

8.3  WG5 - Fortran

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Dr. Ellis, Convener
of WG5, is contained in document SC22 N2742.  Dr. Ellis presented this
report.

8.3.1     Appointment of Project Editor, Project JTC 1.22.02.02

This request is contained in document SC22 N2742.  See Resolution 98-22.

8.3.2     Request for Concurrent CD Registration and FCD Ballot for Project JTC 1.22.02.02

This request is contained in document SC22 N2742.  See Resolution 98-15.

8.3.3     Request for Withdrawal of Project JTC 1.22.02.01.03

This request is contained in document SC22 N2742.  See Resolution 98-12.

8.3.4     Appreciation to Jerrold Wagener and Michael Hennecke.

This request is contained in document SC22 N2742.  See Resolution 98-29
and Resolution 98-12, respectively.

8.4  WG9 - Ada

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Moore, Convener
of WG9, is contained in document SC22 N2752.  Mr. Moore presented this
report.

8.4.1     Appointment of Project Editor, Project JTC 1.22.15942

This request is contained in document SC22 N2752.  See Resolution 98-22.

8.4.2     Approval of NWI for Ada: Conformity Assessment

This request is contained in document SC22 N2783.  The NWI was
distributed in document SC22 N2765.  See Resolution 98-10.

8.4.3     Approval of Registration of PDTR 15942

This request is contained in document SC22 N2763.  See Resolution 98-11.

8.4.4     Request for Approval of Concurrent CD Registration and FCD  
          Ballot for Ada: Conformity Assessment

This request is contained in document SC22 N2790.  See Resolution 98-16.

8.5  WG11 - Binding Techniques

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Wakker,
Convener of WG11, are contained in documents SC22 N2728 and SC22 N2730,
respectively.  Mr. Wakker presented these reports.

8.5.1     WG11 Terms of Reference

The proposed revised Terms of Reference for WG11 is contained in document
SC22 N2728.  See Resolution 98-5.

8.6  WG13 - Modula-2

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Dr. Schoenhacker,
Convener of WG13, is contained in document SC22 N2785.  

8.7  WG14 - C

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Benito,
Convener of WG14, is contained in document SC22 N2753.  Mr. Benito
presented the report.

8.7.1     Standardization of Basic I/O Hardware Addressing

Document SC22 N2767 is a Danish proposal concerning inclusion of basic
I/O hardware addressing in the C Programming Language Standard.  A
presentation was made by Mr. Kristoffersen on the proposal.  Dr. Plum
noted that there was an interest in WG21 for dealing with this issue.
See Resolution 98-4.

8.8  WG15 - POSIX

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Isaak, Convener
of WG15, is contained in document SC22 N2748.  Mr. Isaak presented the
report.

Mr. Rinehuls related his conversation with Mr. Keith Brannon, ISO/IEC
ITTF concerning Project JTC 1.22.15827.  It was the intention of  JTC
1/SC22 that this project be an "umbrella" project for all POSIX Profile.
However, it is the opinion of ISO/IEC ITTF that subdivisions be
restricted to part of a specific standard or profile.  See Resolution
98-14.

8.8.1     Future of WG15

Document SC22 N2748 raised the issue of continuation of WG15 work based
on the lack of a candidate for the WG15 Convenership.   However, Mr. Jim
Oblinger has offered to serve in this capacity and the official
announcement of this nomination is expected to be forwarded by the USA
National Body in the near future.  See also Agenda Item 12.5.1.  

8.8.2     Withdrawal of Projects JTC 1.22.42 and JTC 1.22.43

This request is contained in document SC22 N2748.  See Resolution 98-13.

8.8.3     Recommendation on Extending Fast Track Process

This recommendation is contained in document SC22 N2748.  It was noted
that no action is required on this recommendation since the Fourth Edition
of the JTC 1 Directives contains the procedures for fast-track of
amendments and TRs.  It was also noted that ISPs are not addressed in the
Fourth Edition.

8.9  WG16 - Lisp

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Parquier,
Convener of WG16, is contained in document SC22 N2786.  Mr. Parquier
presented the report.

8.10 WG17 - Prolog

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Scowen,
Convener of WG17, is contained in document SC22 N2727.  Mr. Scowen
presented the report.

8.11 WG19 - Formal Specification Languages

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Wordsworth,
Convener of WG19, is contained in document SC22 N2776.  Mr. Wordsworth
presented the report.

8.11.1    Appointment of Project Editor, Project JTC 1.22.45

This request is contained in document SC22 N2776.  See Resolution 98-22.

8.12 WG20 - Internationalization

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Winkler,
Convener of WG20, is contained in document SC22 N2747.  In the absence of
Mr. Winkler, Mr. LaBonte presented the report.

8.12.1    Approval of Title Change for Project JTC 1.22.30.02.03

This request is contained in document SC22 N2747.  See Resolution 98-18.

8.12.2    Request for Revision of ISO/IEC TR 10176

This request is contained in document SC22 N2762.  SC22 did not act on
this request.  A number of concerns were raised by the Working Group
Conveners present and an informal work session was held during the week
attended by WG20 representatives and Working Group Conveners to explore
solutions to the problems raised during Plenary discussion. 

SC22 suggested, if WG20 wishes to pursue the request for revision,  that
WG20 work with the SC22 Working Group Conveners to resolve concerns raised
by the Working Group Conveners about the stability of the character
specifications over a period of time.

8.13 WG21 - C++

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Dr. Plum, Convener
of WG21, is contained in document SC22 N2714.  Dr. Plum presented the
report.

8.13.1    Request for SC22 Confirmation of Previous Direction

This request is contained in document SC22 N2718.   See Resolution 98-6.

8.14 WG22 - PCTE

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Minot, Convener
of WG22, is contained in document SC22 N2722.

8.14.1    Future of WG22

Document SC22 N2722 contains a request that WG22 become inactive since it
has completed its Program of Work.  Mr. Rinehuls noted that Mr. John
Dawes, Project Editor for the WG22 standards, has agreed to continue in
that capacity and act as the focal point for SC22 issues involving PCTE. 
See Resolutions 98-7 and 98-27.

8.15 SC22/JSG

The report of activity prepared by Mr. Mathis, Convener of SC22/JSG, is
contained in document SC22 N2758.  Mr. Kurikawa presented the report.  See
Resolutions 98-8 and 98-21.

9.   PROJECT EDITOR REPORTS

9.1  Basic

The report of activity, prepared by Dr. Kurtz, is contained in document
SC22 N2721.

9.2  FIMS

The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Frantz, is contained in document
SC22 N2764.  See Resolutions 98-19 and 98-28.

9.3  Pascal

The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Hetherington, is contained in
document SC22 N2751.

9.4  PL/I

The report of activity, prepared by Dr. Klensin, is contained in document
SC22 N2769.

10.  AD HOC MEETINGS

SC22 identified one topic requiring ad hoc group discussion:  the ballot
resolution for DIS 15897 - Procedures for European Registration of
Cultural Elements.

10.1 Ballot Resolution for DIS 15897 - Procedures for European
     Registration of Cultural Elements

The Chairman of the Ad Hoc, Mr. Follett, reported on the results of the
work session of this group.  The Report of the Convener of the Ballot
Resolution Meeting is in document SC22 N2811 and the Disposition of
Comments Report is in document SC22 N2812.  See also Resolutions 98-17 and 98-22.

11.  ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION

11.1 Cultural Adaptability Workshop Recommendations

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to document SC22 N2668 which contains
these recommendations.  These recommendations included the continuation of
SC22/WG20 under SC22 and it is clear that WG20 must maintain a close
relationship both with the other Working Groups in SC22 and with other
entities in the new TD.  

He noted document SC22 N2705 which was his response to JTC 1 that there
would be no JTC 1/SC22 comments for workshop consideration.  Ms. Wallace
and Mr. Winkler participated in the workshop.

Based on the recommendations from the workshop, JTC 1 took action at its
last Plenary to establish a new Technical Direction on Cultural and
Linguistic Adaptability and User Interfaces which includes SC2, SC35, and
SC22/WG20.

In addition, JTC 1 authorized an ad hoc meeting of the new TD to prepare
a report to JTC 1 on several aspects of cultural adaptability and to
recommend a mode of operation for the TD.

Ms. Wallace reported on her reaction to the workshop.

11.2 JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Implementing Information Technology Results

Mr. Follett reported that the JTC1 policy document on electronic document
distribution using the World Wide Web was approved at the last JTC 1
Plenary.  It will be available on-line and will be maintained on-line.  A
copy of the text is also contained in the printed ersion of Edition 4 of
the JTC 1 Directives.

He further reported that JTC 1 has requested an extension of the one-year
trial period for another two years.

With the conclusion of the Ad Hoc, JTC 1 established a Rapporteur Group
to continue following the subject, examine future Information Technology
implementation issues and provide recommendations, as needed, to JTC 1.
The Rapporteur is Mr. Clyde Camp (USA) who will also represent JTC1 on
the ISO/IEC/ITU IT Strategies Implementation Group (ITSIG).

11.3 JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Procedures Issues

Mr. Follett reported that the Fourth Edition of the JTC 1 Directives is
now available as document JTC 1 N5485 and document SC22 N2793.  As he
noted in document SC22 N2726, there were some last minute additions at the
JTC 1 Plenary to allow fast-track processing of Technical Reports and
Amendments.

11.4 SC22 Business Plan

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to document SC22 N2796, the draft SC22
Business Plan he developed.  He noted that JTC 1 decided at its last
Plenary that the Subcommittees would be required to produce a revised
Business Plan and that JTC 1/SC22 must approve the SC22 Business Plan at
this meeting.  He requested an additions or changes to the draft Plan be
provided.  See Resolution 98-2.

11.5 Ballot Resolution of DIS 16262: ECMAScript

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to the following documents:  SC22
N2706 which was the ITTF Table of Replies containing three negative votes;
SC22 N2707 which was the meeting notice for the Resolution Meeting;
N2743 which is the Resolution Meeting Convener's Report of the Resolution
Meeting; and SC22 N2745 which is the Disposition of Comments Report.

He noted that the standard has been adopted.

11.6 JTC 1 Technical Direction and Organization

Mr. Follett reviewed the results of the JTC 1 Reengineering effort that
was concluded at the last JTC 1 Plenary.

11.6.1    JTC 1 External Message Strategy

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to document SC22 N2708 which is being
converted into a public relations document by ISO/IEC ITTF.  It contains
information on:  concepts underlying JTC 1; what value JTC 1 brings to
standardization and benefits from using JTC 1; the value of standards
themselves; the methodology and tools we use for development and for
dissemination of results; collaboration with other; and a section on
selling the marketing strategy to the Subcommittees.

He further noted that the JTC 1 Subcommittees are also to participate in
executing the marketing strategy by promoting JTC 1 in general and SC22 in
particular.

11.6.2    Revised JTC 1 Technical Directions, Organization, Structure and
          Modes of Operation

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to document SC22 N2709 which describes
the re-engineered JTC 1.  He briefly described the organization of the
document and encouraged all delegates to become familiar with this
document in order to understand the overall framework in which SC22 is
working.

11.6.3    JTC 1 Toolbox

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to document SC22 N2710 which is a list
of items that are available for use in standards development and for
interacting with other standards development groups.  He also noted that
the JTC 1 Toolbox is incorporated in the Revised JTC 1 Technical
Directions, Organization, Structure and Modes of Operation document
discussed in Agenda Item 11.6.2 above.

11.6.4    Electronic Collaboration

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to document SC22 N2726 which is his
report from the last JTC 1 Plenary and document SC22 N2791 which is a
request from the JTC 1 Secretariat to report experiences with the
electronic collaboration. 

11.7 Electronic Commerce Standardization

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to document SC22 N2736 which is a
request from JTC 1 for comments on the Business Team Report on Electronic
Commerce (SC22 document SC22 N2735).

He noted that the material on localization, multi-lingualism and cultural
adaptability are the areas that would have possible relevance to SC22.
See Resolution 98-3.

11.8 SC22 Liaison With IFIP TC2

Document SC22 N2738 is a note from Mr. Scowen expressing the need for
liaison between SC22 and IFIP TC2 to be reactivated.  Professor Kakehi
provided a background report on TC2 and agreed to act as liaison between
SC22 and TC2.  See Resolution 98-24.

11.9 SC22 Plenary Organization

Mr. Scowen presented document SC22 N2754 which is a contribution from the
UK concerning the conduct of SC22 Plenaries.

12.  SC22 ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES

12.1 Review of Five-Year Meeting Schedule

Future plenaries of SC22 are scheduled as follows

     1999 -     Berlin, Germany (confirmed) - September 20-23, 1999
     2000 -     Japan (tentative) - September 2000
     2001 -     Austria (tentative)
     2002 -     Finland (tentative)
     2003 -     Brussels, Belgium (tentative) - Mr. Korn is making
                arrangements

12.2 Standards for Periodic Review

In each case, SC22 determined whether the standard should be confirmed,
withdrawn, or revised.

12.2.1    ISO 8485:1989 - Programming Language APL

See Resolution 98-19.

12.2.2    ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994 - Fortran, Part 2: Varying Length Character
          Strings

See Resolution 98-19.

12.2.3    ISO/IEC 11430:1994 - Generic Package of Elementary Functions
          for Ada

See Resolution 98-19.

12.2.4    ISO/IEC 11729:1994 - Generic Package of Primitive Functions for
          Ada

See Resolution 98-19.

12.2.5    ISO/IEC 10967-1:1994 - Language Independent Arithmetic - Part
          1: Integer and Floating Point Arithmetic

See Resolution 98-19.

12.2.6    ISO/IEC 13210:1994 - Test Methods for Measuring Conformance to
          POSIX

See Resolution 98-19.

12.2.7    ISO/IEC 11730:1994 - Form Interface Management System (FIMS)

See Resolution 98-19.

12.2.8    ISO 6373:1994 - Programming Language Minimal Basic

See Resolution 98-19.

12.3 Retention of Projects Not Reaching CD Stage Within Three Years of NP
     Approval

The JTC 1 Directives require the Subcommittee to consider, either by
letter ballot or plenary vote whether the project should be retained
(giving specific justification) and advise the JTC 1 Secretariat
of the results of this consideration.  The JTC 1 Directives also specify
that "if the SC fails to act, then the project shall automatically be
canceled by the JTC 1 Secretariat."  (See Section 6.4.1.5)

Document SC22 N2698 contains the list of projects applicable to SC22.
See Resolution 98-20.

12.4 Retention of Projects Not Reaching DIS Stage Within Four Years of
     Reaching CD

There are no applicable SC22 projects.

12.5 Working Group Conveners Appointments/Reappointments

12.5.1    WG15 (Mr. Isaak)

Document SC22 N2685 contains a notification from Mr. Isaak that he is not
a candidate for continuing as Convener of WG15.  It was announced that Mr.
Jim Oblinger (USA) had volunteered as a candidate for WG15 Convener,
however, official notification from the USA had not yet been received. 
See Resolution  98-21.

12.5.2    WG22 (Mr. Minot)

See Agenda Item 8.14

12.5.3    JSG (Mr. Mathis)

Document SC22 N2758, from Mr. Mathis, contains his agreement to continue
as JSG Convener.  It was noted that he has the support necessary to
continue.  See Resolutions 98-8 and 98-21.

13.  OTHER BUSINESS

There was no other business discussed.

14.  APPROVAL OF RESOLUTIONS AND STATEMENT OF RESULTS

Resolutions 98-01 through 98-32 were adopted as reported in document SC22
N2806.

15.  ADJOURNMENT

There being no further business for discussion, the Eleventh Plenary
Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 was adjourned at 1145 hours on August 27,
1998.

Respectfully submitted

WILLIAM C. RINEHULS
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
     
___________________ end of SC22 N2805 _____________________________