Subject: SC22 N2803 - Canada National Body Activity Report for Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 17:49:01 -0400 (EDT)

_________________ beginning of title page ____________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2803

TITLE:
Canada National Body Activity Report for the August 1998 SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-08-24

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the August 1998 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________ end of title page; beginning of report ______________

                 Canada National Body Activity Report
                    September 1997 - August 1998

The Canadian SC22 standards group is the Canadian Standards Association
Committee on Programming Languages (CSA/CPL).  In April 1998 Graham
Warren resigned as chair of this group.  Stephen Michell, Maurya Software,
Ottawa, Canada, [email-masked] is replacing Graham as chair.

Technical work

Almost all of the technical work on CSA/CPL is for SC22 projects.
National working groups co-ordinate the Canadian contributions to the work
of SC22.  Canadian participants are active in APL, Ada, Modula-2, C,
POSIX, C++, Internationalization and Formal Specification Languages.

Concerns

Active participation in language standards work is a concern.  We are
having difficulty recruiting new members and obtaining corporate
involvement in language standards work.

The electronic exchange of documents continues to be a concern.  None of
the proposed exchange formats has been readable by everyone on our working
groups.

The ISO copywrite issues are a concern.  In the WD and CD stages,
documents must be as openly available for review and discussion as
possible.  ISO copywrite and document availability policies hamper these
activities and encourage standards to be developed in other forums, which
hampers true international overview and acceptance of many of these
standards.

___________________ end of SC22 N2803 __________________________