Subject: SC22 N2802 - Denmark National Body Activity Report for Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 17:38:22 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2802

TITLE:
Denmark National Body Activity Report for the August 1998 SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-08-17

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the August 1998 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email: [email-masked]

_____________ end of title page; beginning of report __________________

                     Denmark National Body Report
                       Copenhagen, August 1998

This document establishes the Danish activity report to the ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC22 Plenary Meeting, in Denmark - 24th to 27th August 1998.

As one of the small countries, and a member of the SC22 sub-committee,
Denmark has many problems to get enough experts involved in
standardisation issues and process. This is mainly
dependent on the lack of funds, especially from the public sector, and a
lack of interest from private companies. Many of the Danish firms are
subsidiaries of companies with main and/or regional offices outside
Denmark, mainly USA. Representatives of those companies respond when they
are asked that their parent companies are already participating in the
standardisation work, and therefore they do not feel that local
participation is necessary.

We have to admit, that Denmark is mainly a country of ICT (Information
and Communication Technology) users, and as such we are mainly
supporting the standardisation process from the user's point-of-view.

The Danish committee in charge of the SC22 work programme is a part of
the Danish parent committee of the 'Danish Standards Association (DS)',
namely DS/S142, the Danish counterpart to the ISO/IEC JTC1.

Our area of work and expertise concentrates on standardisation work and
projects related to the following working groups of the SC22 committee,
namely:

* WG11    - Binding and Language Independent Techniques
* WG14    - Programming Language 'C'
* WG15    - Portable Operating System Interface 'POSIX'
* WG17    - AI Programming Language 'Prolog'
* WG20    - Programming Languages: 'Internationalisation'
* WG21    - Programming Language 'C++'

One should point out that especially standardisation work done in WG's;
14, 15, and 20 receive special attention in Denmark, since we have quite
a few experts in those areas.

Due to the shown involvement of the Danish experts, the Danish
delegation counts on possibility to discuss - during the recent SC22
plenary meetings, following issues which are of main interest to the
Danish experts:

 1. A NP on I/O HW support in Programming Language 'C'
 2. Problems with references to the ISO standards
    in ECMA-script in the forthcoming IS 16262
 3. The cultural registry in IS 14897

Beside this, we are expecting, that as soon as 'Java(tm)' becomes an
object of standardisation and/or maintenance work, due to the approval
of Sun as a PAS submitter for 'Java(tm)' technology, we will have some
active experts participating in this work.

Since some of the standardisation activities are related to the specific
European issues and needs, there is a strong co-operation between SC22
and respective, and related European committees (according to the 'Vienna
Agreement', between ISO/IEC and CEN/CENELEC). We would like to stress
co-operation between the SC22/WG20 and CEN/TC304 on Localisation and Use
of Cultural Elements in ICT. We know that both parties are working quite
closely together, and are exchanging much information.

On behalf of the 'DS/142 u22' sub-committee
Isak KORN,
Chairperson.

 ________________ end of SC22 N2802 ______________________________