Subject: SC22 N2801 - SC2 Liaison Report for Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 17:29:45 -0400 (EDT)

_________________ beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2801

TITLE:
Report of the Liaison Representative of SC22 to SC2 for the August 1998
SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-08-17

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Liaison Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the August 1998 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______ end of title page; beginning of report ____________________

         REPORT OF THE LIAISON REPRESENTATIVE OF SC22 TO SC2

From:  J. W. van WINGEN
1998-08-14

To SC22 Plenary meeting, Snekkelsen, Denmark, 25-28 September 1998

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2, Coded character sets, had its 1998 Plenary meeting
24-25 March in Redmond (Seattle), USA, preceded by meetings of its
two WGs. There were less NBs represented than last year (some only at
the WG meetings), perhaps due to the Asian crisis (no Korea, Vietnam,
Thailand), and a varying number of delegates (35-40).

The changes in SC2 regarding Secretariat and Chairman have now been
effectuated. Responsibilities have been transferred to Japan. The new
SC2 Chairman is Professor Shibano, and the new Secretary Ms. Kimura.
The new WG3 convener is Mr. Melagrakis from Greece.

Also ECMA wanted to transfer the Registration Authority for ISO 2375
and 7350 it helds to another body. SC2 agreed to recommend JTC1 to
transfer these to Japan. This has now been decided, and the registers
are now located in Japan.

The concern already expressed in my report of last year about the
course SC2 is taking was not diminished, and the Netherlands NB
considered the situation so serious that it went to complain to JTC1.
The request is contained in JTC1 N 5449. It culminates in the following
four points.

1.  We request JTC1 to check the present functioning of its SC2, in
particular the disrespect shown to user needs, and to restore regular
practice, not in the least by enforcing SC2 to keep to JTC1 Directives.

2.  We request JTC1 to examine critically the program of work of SC2 and
to remove everything serving only a small audience.

3.  We request JTC1 to instruct SC2 to properly address the issue
forwarded in the Position Statement of our NB (contained in Attachment
B).

4.  We request JTC1 to investigate the validity of SC2 decisions with
respect to technical changes to the approved DISs 8859, parts 1-6,9,10,
and to suspend publication of any part until the result is known.

The next plenary meeting of JTC1 will be in January 1998 in Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil. The next SC2 plenary will be in Japan, April 1998.

___________________ end of SC22 N2801 _______________________________