Subject: SC22 N2789 - Japan National Body Activity Report for Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:38:22 -0400 (EDT)

______________________ beginning of title page ___________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2789

TITLE:
Japan National Body Activity Report for the August 1998 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-08-05

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the August 1998 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
N/A

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fadx:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

______________ end of title page; beginning of report __________________

Japan National Activity Report to the Plenary Meeting of JTC1/SC22,
                            August 1998

1. National Activities for International Standardization
SC22 of Information Technology Standards Commission of Japan (ITSCJ) is 
working as a Japanese National Committee for ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22. SC22
meetings are held 6 times per year and some additional ad-hoc meetings.
There are ten working groups (COBOL WG, Fortran WG, Ada WG, C WG, Lisp
WG, Prolog WG, POSIX WG, C++ WG, Internationalization WG, and Language
Independent Issues WG) and one study group (Java SG) under this committee
to cope with activities of JTC1/SC22. VDM/SL and Z are covered by another
group (Formal Description Technique Sub Working Group) in ITSCJ with
close liaison with our SC22. There are no corresponding WGs to WG3 (APL),
WG13 (Modula-2), or WG22 (PCTE).

Java SG
Java SG was established under Japanese SC22 in April 1998. This group
corresponds to SC22 Java Study Group, and prepares the expected SMI
fast-track submission of Java. The group consists of more than twenty
experts including liaison members from other SCs such as SC29. The group
is meeting more than once a month, and is preparing draft straw man
response on Java standards (due Nov. 1998) as well as checking issues
related to the Java technology standardization.

COBOL WG
COBOL WG is participating very actively both of SC22/WG4 meetings and
ANSI/X3J4 (NCISTS J4) meetings. Japan is strongly interested in
facilities of MOCS and Object Orientation of the next COBOL Standard.

Fortran WG
Fortran WG has continued its active participation with SC22/WG5. We
responded one FCD ballot (Part 3: Conditional compilation) and two DTR
ballots (Floating Point Exception Handling and Enhanced Data Type
Facilities). Translation of ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997 into Japanese was
completed. The translated document has been approved and will be
submitted for publication as the revised document of JIS Fortran
standard.

Ada WG
Translation of ISO/IEC 8652:1995 into Japanese was completed by members
of SIG Ada-Japan. Based on this document, we are planning to make a JIS
standard of Ada.

Language Independent Issues WG
This WG is the corresponding WG for SC22/WG11. Japanese delegate is
participating SC22/WG11 meetings actively.

C WG
SC22/WG14 and ANSI/J11 are now debating mainly on revising the ISO/IEC
9899:1990 (C9X) via e-mail. C WG is registered in this e-mail alias and
joining in the discussion, and C WG has reviewed Committee Draft (draft
C9X) and suggested several improvements and corrections. 

POSIX WG
POSIX WG is attending WG15 meetings. The NP proposal for developing the
Guideline for National Profiles and Locales as a TR was originally
proposed by Japan and Japan was requested to lead this development. In
order to handle this request, Japan has created Profiles Sub WG under
POSIX WG. It was decided that this activity will be done in cooperation
with IEEE PASC, and PAR for PASC SEC was sent to IEEE.

Lisp WG
Members of Lisp WG have actively worked to define a JIS standard for
ISLisp, which has been developed by SC22/WG16 on the basis of KL (Kernel
Language) designed by Japan's Lisp WG and which has become an
international standard specification of the Lisp language. The JIS
standard was established in July 1998.

Prolog WG
Prolog WG has been working on two SC22 work items: Prolog Part 1 -
General Core and Part 2 - Modules and sending delegations to most of
SC22/WG17 meetings. 

Formal Description Technique Sub Working Group (FDT-SWG)
This SWG is the corresponding WG for SC22/WG19 and is actively reviewing
not only Z but also VDM-SL.

Internationalization WG
This WG is the corresponding group for SC22/WG20 in Japan. The WG meets
once a month regularly and, when necessary, holds ad-hoc meetings
inviting other related specialists from each programming language group
or even outside of the SC22's scope. Japanese delegate is participating
in SC22/WG20 meetings very actively.

C++ WG
Major effort continued to focus on stabilization of the language and the
library. C++ WG in ITSCJ has contributed to the effort primarily in areas
of particular interests such as extended characters, strings, locales and
I/O streams by creating and reviewing proposals. 

2. Development of National Standards
The Japanese national standard is known as Japanese Industrial Standard
(JIS). The current status of JISs in the area of SC 22 is as follows:

1) Established JISs
- Fortran (JIS X 3001 - 1994) = ISO/IEC 1539:1991 
- Fortran Part 2 (JIS X 3001-2 = 1998) = ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994
- COBOL (JIS X 3002 - 1992) = ISO/IEC 1989:1985 + AMD 1 
- Full BASIC (JIS X 3003 - 1993) = ISO/IEC 10279: 1991 
- Pascal (JIS X 3008 - 1994) = ISO/IEC 7185:1990 
- Ada (JIS X 3009 - 1991) = ISO/IEC 8652:1987 
- C (JIS X 3010 - 1996) = ISO/IEC 9899:1990 + AMD 1:1995
- MUMPS (JIS X 3011 - 1995) = ISO/IEC 11756:1990
- POSIX Part 1 (JIS X 3030- 1994) = ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990
- ISLisp (JIS X 3012 - 1998) = ISO/IEC 13816:1997

2) JISs to be established in FY 1998
- Fortran Part 1 = ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997
- POSIX Part 2 = ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993

3) Draft JISs being prepared in FY 1998
- Prolog Part 1: General Core = ISO/IEC 13211-1:1995

____________________ end of SC22 N2789 __________________________________