Subject: SC22 N2771 - UK National Body Activity Report for SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:58:12 -0400 (EDT)

_____________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2771

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-07-22

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the August 1998 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
SPringfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  (703) 912-9680
Fax: +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________ end of title page; beginning of report _________

                       UK National Body activity report, 
                         September 1997 - August 1998

The UK equivalent of SC22 is BSI IST/5, Programming Languages.  Following
the death of Brian Meek in July 1997 Jon Diamond took over as Chairman of
IST/5 in September 1997.

Technical work

Almost all of the technical work of IST/5 is in relation to SC22
projects, and it maintains technical panels which co-ordinate the UK 
contribution to the SC22 WGs in which the UK is active.  These panels
advise IST/5 on matters such as letter ballots. The UK provides the
secretariat and convenor for WG5, FORTRAN, WG17, Prolog, and WG19, Formal 
Specification Languages. In the case of WG19 the UK maintains technical
panels for both VDM-SL and for Z and is recommending a new international
Convenor. The UK also provides the Project Editor for PCTE.

We are also active in, and maintain panels for, WG4, COBOL, WG9, Ada,
WG11, Bindings, WG 13, Modula-2, WG14, C, WG15, POSIX, WG16, Lisp, WG21,
C++, and the Java Study Group.   We are not currently active in, and do
not have a panel for WG3, APL.  

Our participation in WG 20, Internationalisation, has been re-activated
with a new panel and chairman, and we have participated actively in this
area over the last year.

In the past year the UK hosted a meeting of SC22/WG11, Binding Techniques
for Programming Languages, and offered to host one for SC22/WG19, Formal
Specification Languages.

Syntactic metalanguage

ISO/IEC 14977 : Extended BNF was published in 1997, and BS 6154 has been
withdrawn in its favour.

Concerns

Active participation continues to be a concern to the UK, especially of
cross-language groups such as WG11 and WG20. 

In addition the UK has submitted a paper about the length and
organization of the SC22 Plenary.

________________________ end of SC22 N2771 _________________________