Subject: SC22 N2758 - SC22/JSG Convener's Report for the August 1998 SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:24:08 -0400 (EDT)

_________________ beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2758

TITLE:
SC22/JSG Convener's Report for the August 1998 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-07-07

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
SG Convener's Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________ end of title page; beginning of report ____________________

                     SC22/JSG CONVENER'S REPORT
               FOR THE AUGUST 1998 JTC 1/SC22 PLENARY

The Java Study Group (JSG) has not had a meeting this year. ECMAScript
(ECMA-262, DIS 16262) falls under the domain of the Java Study Group. A
Resolution of Comments Meeting was held, but it wasn't a meeting of the
Java Study Group.

JTC1's approval of Sun's application to be recognized as a PAS submitter
has determined the JTC1-level approach to Java standardization. Sun has
not yet made a submission of a Java PAS. Public announcements indicate a
target date of early 1999. It might be sooner, but I certainly expect the
submission between the 1998 and 1999 SC22 Plenaries. SC22 needs to
continue its study period to be prepared to respond as Java comes into
JTC1 for consideration.

At least France, Japan, UK, and US have formed separate groups
corresponding to SC22's JSG. Leaders of these groups have informally
indicated the possibility of related issues that might be considered as
Java comes into standards consideration. I think the JSG should have
another meeting before Sun makes its submission to discuss SC22's role
and the impact of related issues.

I recommend that the Study Period which led to the formation of the Java
Study Group be continued for another year. The scope and method of working
should be the same as when the group was set up and continued last year.
All participants in the work of SC22 (and members of national bodies) who
are interested in Java (and related technologies) (the scope of JSG)
should subscribe to our e-mail list, see
http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/jsg.
(Thanks again to Keld Simonsen and the Danish Unix Users Group for
supporting this list and web page.)

I continue to be willing and have sufficient support to continue as the
Convener of this Study Group.

Bob Mathis
Convener, SC22/JSG

________________ end of SC22 N2758 ___________________________________