Subject: SC22 N2757 - ECMA Liaison Report for the August 1998 SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:17:20 -0400 (EDT)

____________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2757

TITLE:
EMCA Liaison Report for the August 1998 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:  1998-07-07

SOURCE
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Liaison Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________ end of title page; beginning of report _______

                      ECMA LIAISON REPORT FOR THE
                     AUGUST 1998 JTC 1/SC22 PLENARY

My liaison with ECMA has primarily been with the TC-39 committee doing
ECMAScript.

ECMA TC-39 developed ECMA-262 ECMAScript which was submitted for ISO/IEC
Fast-Track as DIS 16262. That ballot completed successfully and comments
were resolved at a meeting on June 15, 1998. The related documents have
all been forwarded through the appropriate committees. I expect the
revised ECMA standard and newly approved ISO/IEC standard will be
published in late summer 1999. This process has gone very smoothly because
of close communication and cooperation between ECMA and SC22.

In both the Java Study Group and ECMA TC-39, it was decided that ECMA
TC-39 should continue as the organization responsible for continued
evolution and maintenance of the ISO/IEC 16262 standard. TC-39 is working
on the next version of the ECMAScript and considering further work on
scripting components. They would like to maintain close liaison with SC22
in this work. I am willing to continue as an ECMA liaison from SC22,
particularly with regard to ECMAScript

Other SC22-ECMA related activities (e.g., PCTE) are best reported by
others. Information on ECMA activities is available from
http://www.ecma.ch. That site also contains downloadable copies of their
standards.

I will not be at the SC22 Plenary, but am available via e-mail for any
other information.

Bob Mathis

__________________ end of SC22 N2757 _______________________________